Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

I remember the first time I saw O’Toole in a debate with a Liberal and an NDPer on Power and Politics. Iirc, he was bragging how the Conservatives would support the military, how they would make sure we got those new jets. This was maybe 12 or more years ago...

That's too bad, TM. O'Toole is one of those people whose lies just astound me, like, he must think his constituents are fucking idiots.

Poilievre is out, which is good. Easily my least favorite. Whiny little frog throated prick. Though the fix appears to be in, I can't imagine any scenario in which Harper ran again. I mean, yeah, we're not elephants, but 4-5 years isn't going to erase the memories of an electorate that gave him the political equivalent of a fuck you. I'm glad the Conservatives are such a shitshow right now, I just wish they'd gotten more motivation last election to clean house and update.

Singh on the other hand, is going nowhere fast. He continues to undermine himself and his party almost every time he opens his mouth.

Might be a relatively long lived minority government, I don't know.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

That's what I was thinking. Trudeau is already setting the stage for a less ambitious second term, so the NDP will spend quite a long time passing legislation and licking their wounds. And the Bloc has little incentive to go to an earlier election as far as I can see.  

5 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

That's too bad, TM. O'Toole is one of those people whose lies just astound me, like, he must think his constituents are fucking idiots.

Poilievre is out, which is good. Easily my least favorite. Whiny little frog throated prick. Though the fix appears to be in, I can't imagine any scenario in which Harper ran again. I mean, yeah, we're not elephants, but 4-5 years isn't going to erase the memories of an electorate that gave him the political equivalent of a fuck you. I'm glad the Conservatives are such a shitshow right now, I just wish they'd gotten more motivation last election to clean house and update.

Singh on the other hand, is going nowhere fast. He continues to undermine himself and his party almost every time he opens his mouth.

Poilievre was all set to announce when he pulled out instead. I can't help but wonder if a video of him in blackface suddenly showed up. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

So... lot of shit going down huh?

If you mean the pipeline protests, yeah. I did read the Globe article on the hereditary chiefs being the custodians on unceded, non reserve land and that explained a lot. Seems as if they have a pretty good argument, if they can show that they were properly selected as a hereditary chief. This will be in the courts for years. 

I listened to the CBC noon show on radio and it was all about the train lines being blocked.  An Ottawa U(?) professor, from the Golden Lake reserve, said that the hereditary chiefs asked that the pipeline be moved 100 m so that it didn't cross sacred lands and the company refused. I'd like to do some reading about that. Also, that the Trans Mountain pipeline at one point had 5 different routes to choose from, and the route they picked is the one that crosses their aquifer. Again, they refused to choose one of the other routes. I don't know the details about that, either, and need to do some reading. Both situations sound shitty. 

Solidarity is one thing, but I think I support the move to end the blocking of the train route. One of the callers into the show said "Big deal, so a bunch of settlers have to take the bus instead of the train". She organized the takeover of Minister Bennett's riding office. She's not native but a climate advocate. She refused to answer the question, would she support the hereditary chiefs if they allowed the pipeline to cross the lands in a negotiated settlement.

She ignores the fact that the rail line is the busiest in the country carrying all kinds of goods, from food that goes on our tables here in the East (what, 2/3rds of the population?) to chlorine that cleans the water supply. 

Life is complicated.

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Life is complicated.

Not with Don Cherry.

Don Cherry for PM. a simple mind for simpler times.

I mean now that he finally lost his tv gig (after losing his mind ages ago), he has to find a new venture to air his racist racist airhead. Either him, or Ford.

4 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So... lot of shit going down huh?

Understatement. But I'm all the way down with the good trouble.

If the incredible volume of settler tears and anger I've seen on social media in the last few days is any indication, Canada needs way more of this, imo.  

47 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I listened to the CBC noon show on radio and it was all about the train lines being blocked.  An Ottawa U(?) professor, from the Golden Lake reserve, said that the hereditary chiefs asked that the pipeline be moved 100 m so that it didn't cross sacred lands and the company refused. I'd like to do some reading about that. Also, that the Trans Mountain pipeline at one point had 5 different routes to choose from, and the route they picked is the one that crosses their aquifer. Again, they refused to choose one of the other routes. I don't know the details about that, either, and need to do some reading. Both situations sound shitty.  

Solidarity is one thing, but I think I support the move to end the blocking of the train route. One of the callers into the show said "Big deal, so a bunch of settlers have to take the bus instead of the train". She organized the takeover of Minister Bennett's riding office. She's not native but a climate advocate. She refused to answer the question, would she support the hereditary chiefs if they allowed the pipeline to cross the lands in a negotiated settlement.

She ignores the fact that the rail line is the busiest in the country carrying all kinds of goods, from food that goes on our tables here in the East (what, 2/3rds of the population?) to chlorine that cleans the water supply. 

Life is complicated.

Further complicating things is that apparently a bunch of those rail lines are going through disputed territory. Ultimately the Wet’suwet’en land issue seems to have been something of a rallying point that's bringing up a bunch of older issues that were never resolved.

https://realpeoples.media/video-two-row-teachings-on-the-track/

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Further complicating things is that apparently a bunch of those rail lines are going through disputed territory. Ultimately the Wet’suwet’en land issue seems to have been something of a rallying point that's bringing up a bunch of older issues that were never resolved.

https://realpeoples.media/video-two-row-teachings-on-the-track/

The problem with settling land claims is the federal government negotiates the claim and the provincial has to then surrender the land. Doug Ford or Jason Kenney will never agree to anything Trudeau negotiates. 

• 2 weeks later...

Busy week in Ontario here. 200,000 teachers on strike today and 30,000 are at a rally at Queen's Park. I have been a part of 10,000 person rallies for healthcare and that was an experience. I will bet anything Doug Ford is out of town today as he always is when large crowds are at Queen's Park. The man is a coward. 

I just heard on the news that an Ontario judge just ruled that Canada's laws to regulate prostitution, which is legal in Canada, are unconstutional. 

The stuff that comes from Andrew Scheer's mouth during the pipeline protests makes me wonder if he is trying to sound tougher than Peter Mackay. Or is this a contest to see who can be the stupidest in their comments? 

O'Toole has been saying some asinine shit too.

At one point I entertained the notion that the Conservatives were just gaming messaging to make MacKay the best default, but iono. They're all so monumentally clumsy-dumb I tossed that idea in the trash. 

Rempel-Garner's Buffalo Declaration takes the cake for stupid in the last few days though, or so it seems to me at least. I was in Banff with the kiddos skiing for a few days and am in process of catching up.   

• 3 weeks later...

More really bad news for Alberta. Good luck with seceding from Canada!

The price of oil has dropped from $49 a barrel to a current price of $31 and may fall even more. Of course Albertans will blame Trudeau for causing the drop.

In case you haven’t heard, the Saudis and the Russians got into a fist fight on the weekend, the Saudis trying to boost the price by cutting production and the Russians refusing, because they are desperate for the money. Now the Saudis are letting loose the hounds and believe you me, the US and Canadian oil sectors are going to be damaged for a decade. All this has happened because the Americans have been pumping out oil like there’s no tomorrow, and US exports have cut into Saudi markets. They need the money too, because they are heavily leveraged.

A fun fact: last year Occidental Petroleum took over Anadarko, in a deal heavily criticized by the markets. Both companies were worth about the same amount of money, the purchase price being $57 B. Occidental borrowed $40 B to do the deal. By last week the combined company was worth $25 B. By this morning the company was worth $15 B. 

Teck must be so happy they cancelled that oil sands project. They look like geniuses today.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

More really bad news for Alberta. Good luck with seceding from Canada!

The price of oil has dropped from $49 a barrel to a current price of $31 and may fall even more. Of course Albertans will blame Trudeau for causing the drop.

In case you haven’t heard, the Saudis and the Russians got into a fist fight on the weekend, the Saudis trying to boost the price by cutting production and the Russians refusing, because they are desperate for the money. Now the Saudis are letting loose the hounds and believe you me, the US and Canadian oil sectors are going to be damaged for a decade. All this has happened because the Americans have been pumping out oil like there’s no tomorrow, and US exports have cut into Saudi markets. They need the money too, because they are heavily leveraged.

A fun fact: last year Occidental Petroleum took over Anadarko, in a deal heavily criticized by the markets. Both companies were worth about the same amount of money, the purchase price being $57 B. Occidental borrowed $40 B to do the deal. By last week the combined company was worth $25 B. By this morning the company was worth $15 B. 

Teck must be so happy they cancelled that oil sands project. They look like geniuses today.

And Jason Kenney ends up having some explaining to do about his failures to see this coming. 

I am watching my rrsps decline in value just after I retired last September.  I had a feeling this would come and I have been prepared for a downturn. Still is scary to watch.

15 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

TSX was a bloodbath today. Gonna see how things go tomorrow, but it's a good time to buy anyway...

I don't think the US markets have finished falling, but it has to be close by now. And you are young. :) 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Aemon Stark said:

TSX was a bloodbath today. Gonna see how things go tomorrow, but it's a good time to buy anyway...

I sincerely hope you took my advice. The TSX is down 1,500 points, almost 12% on the day, the worst day in history.

This may be Peak Panic. Capitulation.

Or not.

Archived