Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I sincerely hope you took my advice. The TSX is down 1,500 points, almost 12% on the day, the worst day in history.

This may be Peak Panic. Capitulation.

Or not.

I bought yesterday. Just as well that I don't actually have much exposure. I only buy once or twice a month so it will be the next pay period until I do again. #dollarcostaveraging

Nothing yet, though it's relatively safe to assume that anyone she came into close contact with since returning from Europe is in the spread pattern, and after that it rounds down to hygiene. Justin, the kiddos, those are the most likely.

If Justin got it, got to think the PMO maybe, Chrystia, who knows who else.

Nightmare for the Feds [and all involved, obviously] 

I sure as all hell hope we close the border to all casual travelers. No more cross border shopping.

We still need food and other vital supplies. But when the ranks of truckers get decimated, that may stop. And the workers picking and preparing the produce meant for export. At that point Trump will announce food is only for Americans. That thought led me to finally buy supplies.

Heard that there's been talk about invoking the Emergencies Act. Which might just be necessary.

On another note, has it occurred to anyone else that it might be a good idea to nationalize or otherwise increase government control over a bunch of utilities that never should have been in private hands in the first place? This situation isn't gonna be over soon, and it's pointing to a need to radically alter many aspects of our society.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, Fragile Bird said:

I sure as all hell hope we close the border to all casual travelers. No more cross border shopping.

We still need food and other vital supplies. But when the ranks of truckers get decimated, that may stop. And the workers picking and preparing the produce meant for export. At that point Trump will announce food is only for Americans. That thought led me to finally buy supplies.

Re-quoted for emphasis.

Canada is a net food exporter, so I'm not as worried as others about the food supply. Fresh food is a different story, but you can't stockpile that anyway. 

I am more concerned about medical supplies and the health care system in general. My family members back home in Australia are struggling to get access to Ventolin, for example. I'm just hoping that enough capacity building is happening behind the scenes in Canadian health-care land.

We have a decent pharmaceutical industry, but we definitely import a lot. Governments may need to negotiate special permissions to produce proprietary medications. My suspicion though is that we could run out of critical imported ingredients. 
I refilled my two meds yesterday and last week, so I have a 90 day supply. I hope that’s good enough. Both are very low dose, so I likely have some leeway.

This is just insane. Our company had a good five years worth of commercial/institutional/residential construction on the books - and in literally one week, I would consider a significant portion of that work in serious doubt to ever happen. My head is spinning.

Hopefully today's aid announcement means that information starts to trickle down. Because no one knows what the fuck to do at all.

5 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

This is just insane. Our company had a good five years worth of commercial/institutional/residential construction on the books - and in literally one week, I would consider a significant portion of that work in serious doubt to ever happen. My head is spinning.

Hopefully today's aid announcement means that information starts to trickle down. Because no one knows what the fuck to do at all.

Insane is right. You ok so far with the job? What have they said?

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Insane is right. You ok so far with the job? What have they said?

So far so good. One of my jobs is a hospital expansion, which I'm hoping is not affected. I am less certain now about the commercial office market, which was absolutely bonkers - literally every company busy for the next 5+ years on office skyscrapers. Residential is another question, as a lot of it was driven by immigration. I'm guessing that immigration doesn't happen under LOCKDOWN.

I am however in quarantine at home due to travel to Seattle.

Haven't been online in awhile, or much at all, ever, but lurking fellow Canadian. Stay strong and compassionate, Canada.

My SO is in non-essential manufacturing and I'm really hoping either the Provincial and Federal governments or the workers themselves make the choice to close their shop sharpish - much less my buddies who are still being told to work today at Toyota, despite one, if not two, positive tests in their local work ecology. If my SO is going to have to stay at work, it better be for repurposed healthcare manufacturing like for "war effort" or whatever.

4 hours ago, Thoughtful Jake said:

Haven't been online in awhile, or much at all, ever, but lurking fellow Canadian. Stay strong and compassionate, Canada.

My SO is in non-essential manufacturing and I'm really hoping either the Provincial and Federal governments or the workers themselves make the choice to close their shop sharpish - much less my buddies who are still being told to work today at Toyota, despite one, if not two, positive tests in their local work ecology. If my SO is going to have to stay at work, it better be for repurposed healthcare manufacturing like for "war effort" or whatever.

I just saw the Toyota plant is shutting down. It was a bullet point than ran across the bottom of the CBC screen, so I don't know for how long. In the US they are shutting down for a cleaning then re-opening.

10 hours ago, Thoughtful Jake said:

If my SO is going to have to stay at work, it better be for repurposed healthcare manufacturing like for "war effort" or whatever.

We need that kind of war mobilization now. Yesterday. We need the PPE especially. 

Archived