Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

I have been hearing the news of shootings in Nova Scotia all day and I was wondering why there hasn't been more information.

I just switched back to CBC and, horrors, at least 13 dead, plus the gunman.

I am shocked beyond belief. A 51-year old white man, well-known and respected in his community. I am so sorry for the victims, may they rest in peace.

eta: now it's at least 16 dead.

He was a dentist who has been out of business due to the current situation...maybe lockdown drove him mad?

Still trying to make sense of that one. It’s a weird news environment for this (very big) story to break in.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

He was a dentist who has been out of business due to the current situation...maybe lockdown drove him mad?

Still trying to make sense of that one. It’s a weird news environment for this (very big) story to break in.

He was a denturist. We drive by the business on our way to Mr. Tyr's parent's place. The giant mouth on the building always freaks me out. It's so acid flash backy. 

It's really hard to find the words for it all. It's just so surreal. 

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

From what Brook and I saw he started with his ex wife and her new partner. The fake police car etc shows a fair bit of premeditation too, possibly too long to really attribute it to financial down turn from covid. Seems like a family annihilation type that decided to go on a rampage after that, probably feeling like a failure under some fucked up definition of manhood.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

From what Brook and I saw he started with his ex wife and her new partner. The fake police car etc shows a fair bit of premeditation too, possibly too long to really attribute it to financial down turn from covid. Seems like a family annihilation type that decided to go on a rampage after that, probably feeling like a failure under some fucked up definition of manhood.

The RCMP fascination/obsession is an interesting element too.

Changing tack back to COVID, I notice that Alberta's testing numbers are pretty high. Is that driving the spike we've seen there in recent days? Fatalities-wise, Alberta is still tracking OK (similar to BC). 

8 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The fake police car etc shows a fair bit of premeditation too, possibly too long to really attribute it to financial down turn from covid.

I thought it sounded like something he'd put a significant amount of planning into too. Apparently he collected RCMP memorabilia though so maybe not. :dunno:

I have been watching the coverage of the events in Nova Scotia. What a demented scum bag he was. Had his imitation RCMP police cruiser, had his uniform, probably drove from murder site to murder site and just knocked on doors. People saw a cruiser and went to answer the door to find out what the police wanted. In rural Nova Scotia, you trust the Mounties.

There may be more dead because the bastard burned down 5 houses, where I'm sure more bodies will be found. There are 16 murder scenes over a 55 km route

Burn in hell, buddy.

eta: one of the 5 houses he burned down was his own, so there will be no computers or laptops to be found with information to uncover, no notebooks or plans. We may never know why he did it.

The death toll in Nova Scotia is now 20.

Reporters said digging equipment was brought in this morning. Since he burned down 5 houses I assume they need the equipment to turn over the ruins.

Also, some troops, or militia, were moved in, likely to guard various sites, since there are so many murder scenes there simply aren't enough police.

I saw an interview with a woman on CBC. She and her husband went out on their morning walk on Sunday. They normally walk along a road, but the husband suggested they take a path into the woods to the river instead. A few minutes later they heard what they thought were shots. Turns out their neighbour was also out on her morning walk and was gunned down on the road. They didn't know about the murderous rampage going on until they got home and another neighbour called to tell them the news. They, and a lot of other people, wonder why the heck the province did not send out an emergency alert once the first people were shot. Nova Scotia, like Ontario, used the emergency alert system to warn about Covid-19, which I thought was overkill, but I guess some people don't pay attentiuon to the news. You'd think the fact a gunman was out and about was worth a similar warning.

Update

April          14      15       16       17       18       19       20      21

BC             27      44       14       43       29                 52      25 

AB            138    126      162     239     165    241     105    187

ON           483     494     514     564     485    568     606    551

PQ            691     612     997     941     723    836     962    807

The rest      44       42       40       34      54      28       50      21

1383   1318   1727   1821  1456    1673   1775  1591

BC is still in great shape. That Monday number is Saturday and Sunday combined. I saw an interview with the leader of the union for the workers in the Alberta Cargill plant. He was pretty scathing about the company. Ontario continues to ramp up testing, Among other institutions, a Brampton jail had 60 inmates test positive, plus staff. Otherwise the province says community cases (versus institutions like nursing homes) have been steadily dropping. I'm sure Ontario's numbers would be just as high as Quebec's if we included people who call in to a health line or their doctor, describe their symptoms and get told they may have Covid-19 and they should quarantine themselves. The Rest number is low because Nova Scotia seems to alternate low and high numbers, today it was only 16. The smaller provinces have either 0 new cases, 1 for Manitoba and 4 for Saskatchewan.

Dare I hope, Toronto seems to have plateaued. Here's a link to Toronto's page, now let's see a drop this week.

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/covid-19-status-of-cases-in-toronto/

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The death toll in Nova Scotia is now 20.

Reporters said digging equipment was brought in this morning. Since he burned down 5 houses I assume they need the equipment to turn over the ruins.

Also, some troops, or militia, were moved in, likely to guard various sites, since there are so many murder scenes there simply aren't enough police.

I saw an interview with a woman on CBC. She and her husband went out on their morning walk on Sunday. They normally walk along a road, but the husband suggested they take a path into the woods to the river instead. A few minutes later they heard what they thought were shots. Turns out their neighbour was also out on her morning walk and was gunned down on the road. They didn't know about the murderous rampage going on until they got home and another neighbour called to tell them the news. They, and a lot of other people, wonder why the heck the province did not send out an emergency alert once the first people were shot. Nova Scotia, like Ontario, used the emergency alert system to warn about Covid-19, which I thought was overkill, but I guess some people don't pay attentiuon to the news. You'd think the fact a gunman was out and about was worth a similar warning.

22 this morning. I just don't have the words. 

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Update

April          14      15       16       17       18       19       20      21

BC             27      44       14       43       29                 52      25 

AB            138    126      162     239     165    241     105    187

ON           483     494     514     564     485    568     606    551

PQ            691     612     997     941     723    836     962    807

The rest      44       42       40       34      54      28       50      21

1383   1318   1727   1821  1456    1673   1775  1591

BC is still in great shape. That Monday number is Saturday and Sunday combined. I saw an interview with the leader of the union for the workers in the Alberta Cargill plant. He was pretty scathing about the company. Ontario continues to ramp up testing, Among other institutions, a Brampton jail had 60 inmates test positive, plus staff. Otherwise the province says community cases (versus institutions like nursing homes) have been steadily dropping. I'm sure Ontario's numbers would be just as high as Quebec's if we included people who call in to a health line or their doctor, describe their symptoms and get told they may have Covid-19 and they should quarantine themselves. The Rest number is low because Nova Scotia seems to alternate low and high numbers, today it was only 16. The smaller provinces have either 0 new cases, 1 for Manitoba and 4 for Saskatchewan.

Dare I hope, Toronto seems to have plateaued. Here's a link to Toronto's page, now let's see a drop this week.

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/covid-19-status-of-cases-in-toronto/

I’d expect ON’s numbers to plateau for the next two weeks rather than fall, on account of the expanded testing. That doesn’t mean cases aren’t actually falling in reality.

Canada seems to be out of the growth period for this first wave. All eyes on Europe over the next four to six weeks to see how the slight relaxing of policy goes.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

22 this morning. I just don't have the words. 

I know I said it before, but it's just so surreal. I didn't know any of the victims, but one of my friends lost a friend since childhood :(

I hope investigators can find something in his home or business in Dartmouth. They weren't torched like his other properties. 

10 minutes ago, Tyria said:

I know I said it before, but it's just so surreal. I didn't know any of the victims, but one of my friends lost a friend since childhood :(

I hope investigators can find something in his home or business in Dartmouth. They weren't torched like his other properties. 

I thought he torched his house?

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I thought he torched his house?

I think he only torched the one in the rural area. He had another house in Dartmouth where his business was. 

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

I’d expect ON’s numbers to plateau for the next two weeks rather than fall, on account of the expanded testing. That doesn’t mean cases aren’t actually falling in reality.

Canada seems to be out of the growth period for this first wave. All eyes on Europe over the next four to six weeks to see how the slight relaxing of policy goes.

Ontario reported 510 cases this morning, from 10,361 tests of mainly high risk individuals (nursing homes and other institutions, first responders, medical personnel, people with symptoms). Last week when the numbers were in the 300s, they were only doing 4-5,000 tests. So there are glimmers. Let's see a week's worth of numbers.

Update

April          15       16       17       18      19       20      21      22

BC            44       14       43       29                 52      25      71

AB           126      162     239     165    241     105    187    306

ON          494     514     564      485    568     606    551    510

PQ           612     997     941     723     836     962    807    839

The rest     42       40       34      54       28       50      21      43

1318   1727   1821  1456    1673   1775  1591 1769

Holy smokes, Alberta. The news about the meat packing plant has been out for days, this can't be them, can it? Perhaps people exposed to the employess? And BC? Nova Scotia had an up day after a down day.

BC has been a laggard in testing, along with Ontario. I’d expect the spike to be due to a ramp-up.

Alberta has the best testing numbers per capita of the more populous provinces, so their new cases data is skewed higher. Not sure about the latest spike!

What do you think of this idea for school kids?  If they are back in school in September that will be close to flu season and I'm still concerned about a second wave and third wave of corvid in the winter.

https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/ford-is-testing-buzzing-wristbands-to-keep-workers-socially-distanced?utm_source=drivingcontentads&utm_medium=native_ads&utm_campaign=on_network_boosting&utm_content=Drivingflex

What I've noticed while shopping is that kids don't really know what keeping 6 ft apart means unless it's marked on the floor at checkout and that's if it been explained them or they notice at all.  Two arm lengths for a kid isn't 6 ft.   I had a little girl bumping up against me while her mother repeatedly tried to get control.  Until I turned around and pointed out the lines on the floor and told her it was a new safety rule and that's where she had to stand until her mother said it was OK.   That glued her to the spot. LOL

I haven't seen any kids in stores until recently.  I almost ran into two young boys running pell-mell up the aisles, no parent in sight.  I gave them the stink eye which slowed them down.  LOL

Kids are going to have to get out of the house into the fresh air soon and burn off some energy. 

Archived