Jump to content
Lord Varys

[SPOILERS] Family trees and successions

Recommended Posts

I wish we found out which house Sharra Arryn comes from, or who Ronnel's father was even.

As for the Gulltown Arryns, I believe in ASOIAF, a cadet branch of a house is officially defined when a member of the parent house takes a new seat and sigil, departing from the parent house. So while Joffrey would have been from a lesser branch of House Arryn, he still could have been from the mainline, just distantly related. The Gulltown Arryns would have been established by a son or grandson of Hubert Arryn moving to Gulltown and forming an official cadet branch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LordSeaSnake said:

As for the Gulltown Arryns, I believe in ASOIAF, a cadet branch of a house is officially defined when a member of the parent house takes a new seat and sigil, departing from the parent house. So while Joffrey would have been from a lesser branch of House Arryn, he still could have been from the mainline, just distantly related. The Gulltown Arryns would have been established by a son or grandson of Hubert Arryn moving to Gulltown and forming an official cadet branch.

In the Gulltown Arryn case it seems they not only departed from their relatives but also from their nobility, however this works. 

I am not sure if "a still more distant branch" can mean that they descended from Hubert as well. Maybe if they were descendants of Hubert's youngest son it would count as "still more distant" than Joffrey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

In the Gulltown Arryn case it seems they not only departed from their relatives but also from their nobility, however this works. 

I am not sure if "a still more distant branch" can mean that they descended from Hubert as well. Maybe if they were descendants of Hubert's youngest son it would count as "still more distant" than Joffrey.

Yeah, they wouldn't necessary be descended from Hubert. Perhaps an uncle or cousin of his. The Gulltown Arryns were mentioned to have intermarried with merchants in A Feast for Crows, so I assume they only maintained their connection to nobility from the founder of the cadet branch, but are otherwise simply wealthy commoners with surnames. 

Edited by LordSeaSnake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Hubert already being a cousin to Ronnel/Jonos things are pretty difficult if this split did not take place among Hubert's sons. Hubert may have been a first cousin of Ronnel and Jonos, but that's not clear - what's clear is, though, that he and his family did not reside at the Eyrie with Ronnel and Jonos, implying that this is a branch of the family that was only brought in/back to the Eyrie when Ronnel and Jonos' lines ended.

And if Hubert's branch had lived at some minor castle then any relations of his starting the Gulltown branch would have split up before Jaehaerys I's reign.

If Hubert were a first cousin or second cousin (not removed) then chances are not bad that he would have been younger than Ronnel considering that he would then be descended from a younger brother of Ronnel's father or grandfather. Ronnel seems to have been still in his forties when he died, so Hubert was, perhaps, around forty. That could mean some of his sons were already men grown but likely not all of them.

If Hubert were a rather old man in 37 AC Gyldayn should have mentioned that he already grandsons rather than just sons. That, I think, could imply that Hubert only got his grandchildren in the 40s.

The Gulltown Arryns could easily be descended from a younger son of one of the younger sons of Hubert's. That wouldn't make him a more distant cousin by degree, but still a more lesser claimant.

And the idea that Joffrey may have perhaps been Jeyne's cousin once or twice removed actually makes some sense.

2 hours ago, LordSeaSnake said:

I wish we found out which house Sharra Arryn comes from, or who Ronnel's father was even.

Ronnel's father would have been the King of Mountain and Vale, presumably. I'd like it if Sharra Arryn had been an Arryn herself, being a cousin of Ronnel's father.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that if Simon Strong was Bywin and Lucamore brother, he would be around 90 or 100 at the time of his death. I think it is more plausible that Lyonel was grandson of Bywin and Simon was his second son, thus making him around 70 at the time of death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

I noticed that if Simon Strong was Bywin and Lucamore brother, he would be around 90 or 100 at the time of his death. I think it is more plausible that Lyonel was grandson of Bywin and Simon was his second son, thus making him around 70 at the time of death.

Simon could easily enough still be a young boy in the 70s. That could mean he was about 70 in 130 AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Simon could easily enough still be a young boy in the 70s. That could mean he was about 70 in 130 AC.

Bywin and Lucamore are at least twenty years older than him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Bywin and Lucamore are at least twenty years older than him.

We don't know how old Bywin was. But keep in mind that men can and do take multiple wives in this world. The daughter the first Manfred Hightower was offering the Conqueror likely also was a child he had from a younger wife. Could be the same with Simon Strong. Just as the various children of Lord Lyonel may have been from different wives.

Edited by Lord Varys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

We don't know how old Bywin was. But keep in mind that men can and do take multiple wives in this world. The daughter the first Manfred Hightower was offering the Conqueror likely also was a child he had from a younger. Could be the same with Simon Strong. Just as the various children of Lord Lyonel may have been from different wives.

Lucamore and Bywin's father could have another wife, yes. I assume Bywin was older than Lucamore as usually younger sons join Kingsguard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Lucamore and Bywin's father could have another wife, yes. I assume Bywin was older than Lucamore as usually younger sons join Kingsguard.

I assumed that as well, but we really have no idea whether Lucamore and Bywin and Simon are of the main branch of House Strong. Even if they were not, Barristan Selmy also was the heir to Harvest Hall and betrothed to a woman when he decided to join the Kingsguard. Those kind of things do happen - with Jaime as well. Young Lucamore seems to be a man who really wanted the fame and glory that came with being a Kingsguard. So perhaps he gave up whatever seat the Strongs originally had (we don't even yet know whether they were a lordly house or not) and left all that to Bywin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Braxton Beesbury? He was born 64/65, while Lord Lyman was born 48/49. Could it be that he was Lyman's first son? It could explain why he was in King's Landing if he was son of member of small council. Then Alan Beesbury would be Lyman's grandson through his second son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

How about Braxton Beesbury? He was born 64/65, while Lord Lyman was born 48/49. Could it be that he was Lyman's first son? It could explain why he was in King's Landing if he was son of member of small council. Then Alan Beesbury would be Lyman's grandson through his second son.

We have already discussed that one, and I really like the idea that the Stinger was the son of Lyman, also explaining why Jaehaerys I is reluctant to punish his family for his transgressions. Not sure if Lord Lyman was already the Master of Coin, though. Could be that Martyn Tyrell and Florence Fossoway were still around.

I like to believe that Lord Lyman was glad that the king got rid of his heir for him the way he did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×