What if jaime went with rhaegar to the battle of the trident

goldenlion

Then Kings Landing would probably be smithereens.  xD

Seriously though, I suppose it depends just how loyal these Kingsguard are to Mad King Aerys. Its easy for the likes of Barristan, Arthur, Gerold, and Oswell to call Jaime a Kingslayer, false brother and whatnot, but would they have really just sat back and let Aerys blow up the city? 

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Wouldn't have happened. Jaime was kept in Kings Landing specifically to ensure Tywin's loyalty.

Arguably, having him with Rhaegar would have meant that Tywin would have been forced to fight at the Trident against the rebels if he was concerned about his son’s fate.

1 hour ago, the Other Wolf said:

What if this or that happened? 

It does not matter!

Sorry OP, but my question would be why do numerous people want to change the story to a what if?

What if Ned was killed at the TOJ?

What if the man in the cave killed Bran?

What if.........

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

We need TWOW!

That is the purpose of the forum. 

You can always start  your own thread on this topic, though! LOL

2 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Nobody is forcing you to comment.

Hear, hear!

Kings Landing go Kaboom.

Jaime is either killed or captured in battle. I doubt that a young Jaime would make any diference in the battle.

If killed, Tywin may remain neutral even after the Trident. swer fealty to the man that slayed his son seems odd. Robert marriage with Cersei would also start in a even worse foot if came to happen.

29 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

If both Jaime and Rhaegar are killed at the Trident then maybe Tywin would agree to truly fight for Aerys, on the condition that Viserys becomes Aerys' heir and marries Cersei. 

What do you think Aerys will do with Elia and her children if that happens? If he gets wildfire happy with them, I could see the dornish switching there allegiance to Robert

As long as Jaime is on the kingsguard he is not Tywin's son, Tywin should accept that Jaime chose the kingsguard over him.

14 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

If both Jaime and Rhaegar are killed at the Trident then maybe Tywin would agree to truly fight for Aerys, on the condition that Viserys becomes Aerys' heir and marries Cersei. 

Perhaps depending on which side is strongest after the Trident. Even if the rebels win, without the sack of King's Landing there might be a formidable Targaryen counter-attack.

22 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

And what a great couple would that be! They would make children who would be talked about centuries after their death... but only whispered about during their reign;)

Jaime himself probably wouldn't have made a difference.  What might have made a difference is if Tywin knew Jaime was heading for the Trident with Rhaeghar.

Based on how quickly he got to KL, Tywin had his armies ready.  If Tywin decided to bring the 20k he brought to KL to the Trident instead, that could very well have turned the battle in favor of the Targs.

Now the question is what happens after Tywin "wins" the battle for the Targs?

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Canon Claude said:

Arguably, having him with Rhaegar would have meant that Tywin would have been forced to fight at the Trident against the rebels if he was concerned about his son’s fate.

I don't think that would have been a good idea from either Aerys' or Rhaegar's perspective. The last thing you want on your side when joining the battle that will decide the fate of history is an ally of dubious loyalty. Much better for the royalists if Tywin stayed out of it.

Given Rhaegar has enough pull to deploy arguably the best three members of the Kingsguard to guard the Tower of Joy during the middle of a war, I imagine he could've taken Jaime if he so chose. Really the deployment of the Kingsguard during the war was puzzling. Rhaegar seemed intent on using them as captain to command their troops than actual guards. So I'm inclined to think that Jaime being there wouldn't have changed much. He might have performed better on the field of battle than Darry, killed some more people, but Rhaegar and Robert still fight and history take's it's course. 

King's Landing would go differently. Darry is killed attempting to assassinate Tywin, and when that fails Aerys burns it all killing everyone. Assuming Jaime survives and obviously fought valiantly, he might get the same treatment as Barristan. Especially when his father and his men are the last casualties of the war and go down in history as heroes instead of the men who tricked Aerys into letting them sack the city.

I think one of the other Kingsguard (assuming they learn of Aerys's plan like Jaime) would have done something to neutralize Aerys. But they may not have killed him; killing him speaks to the directness Jaime uses to deal with things. Tyrion said something along the lines of Jaime never untying a knot when he could hack at it with a sword. 

I think Barristan the Bold or the The White Bull probably would have killed the pyromancer and maybe just sequestered Aerys in his rooms (forcibly....) and handed him over to either Lord Tywin or Lord Eddard.

Archived