Why does Ned say that Brandon (his elder brother) would have been a better Lord of Winterfell?

Angel Eyes

Judging by what we’ve heard of him, Brandon’s mainly interested in fighting or bedding women and given little care towards being a lord. And given by what we’ve seen of Robert Baratheon, of whom Brandon seems very similar from the books, the combination proved disastrous.

2 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Their father focused more on teaching Brandon how to rule, since he would be the next Lord of Winterfell. I don't know what his plans for Ned where, but they wouldn't have been as important as that. 

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Probably survivors guilt or that Brandon being the eldest was groomed for the position. 

/thread

Like all what-if scenarios it is hard to say how Brandon would have fared if it had been him that became Hand.  Things didn't exactly work out well for Ned in King's Landing though, so maybe Brandon's more aggressive style would have been an asset.  Ned is simply confiding to Catelyn that it was his older brother who was groomed for leadership and diplomacy because he was the heir to Winterfell. 

23 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Judging by what we’ve heard of him, Brandon’s mainly interested in fighting or bedding women and given little care towards being a lord. And given by what we’ve seen of Robert Baratheon, of whom Brandon seems very similar from the books, the combination proved disastrous.

Eddard can't be serious about that.  Read the quote from chapter 6 of the first book.

"Gods, Catelyn, Sansa is only eleven, Ned said.  "And Joffrey  ... Joffrey is..."

She finished for him. " ...crown prince, and heir to the Iron Throne.  And I was only twelve when my father promised me to your brother Brandon."

The brought a bitter twist to Ned's mouth.  "Brandon.  Yes.  Brandon would know what to do.  He always did.  It was all meant from Brandon.  You, Winterfell, everything.  He was born to be a King's Hand and a father to queens.  I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

Being competent doesn't really matter too much in their system.  Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon were plotting to take over the throne.  Brandon was being prepared to assume the position of Hand of the King.  His future daughter with Catelyn would have married her cousin, the future son of Robert and Lyanna.   Catelyn thinks she will realize her dream of seeing a daughter become queen.  It did not happen with Brandon but it can still happen with Ned.  

I don't think Brandon could do a better job than Jon Arryn.  The kingdom would have had two young fools running the show instead of one young fool and one average old man.  

It's a middle child dynamic. He's not the first born son in a society where the first born is raised to rule and the second sons have to seek glory elsewhere. Ned, will always compare himself to his older, bigger, stronger brother who probably made leadership look easy. Brandon was the 'right fit' and Ned was an afterthought. Or, that's how he feels.  It's similar to Jon's memories of Robb. 

Because he would have been a better Lord of Winterfell.

Which is more important for a leader to do; to respect the people they rule over or ensure their prosperity? For example; Tywin Lannister didn't advance the interests of his house by honouring any respectable moral code. He did it with violence and ruthlessness. Perhaps Brandon would have more aggressively pursued the advancement of House Stark in a way that Ned simply was not willing to do.

19 hours ago, Enuma Elish said:

Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon were plotting to take over the throne

19 hours ago, Enuma Elish said:

Brandon was being prepared to assume the position of Hand of the King

I guess I missed these points in the books.

Can you direct me to the chapters?

Or did you make this up because you feel that is what happened?

Archived