Future Battles

Ser Dips A lot

I’ve been trying to foreshadow the battles to come in the remainder of the series. I can’t seem to make perfect rationalization of who’s going to fight who, where these engagements will take place, and when they will unfold. The Reach, The Vale, and Dorne all seem to have powerful armies still at their command, and winter is here. Does the Vale go North? If they do, do they join Stannis in taking Winterfell? I’m assuming Stannis does indeed wipeout the Frey’s in his frozen lake death trap. Do they join Jon in taking Winterfell and/or The Dreadfort? I’d like to think the battle against The Others will happen as a “Helms Deep” sort of siege at Winterfell and the Vale will either play the role of the elves in bolstering the castle or The Rohimrrim in the last minute arrival charge to “DEATH” lol (yes I know that was at Minas Tirith). I might be way off but I do think someone is showing up last minute to turn the tide in the great battle against the Night King. And then there’s these fucking dragons. The military situation in the South, to me, seems a lot more unclear but I might be off completely with all of this. I’ll never know until this book gets released, if it ever does. Is Aegon going to take KL? Is Euron going to flip the script on a whole lot of people? Is Westeros going to turn into a post-apocalyptic plague-ridden wasteland? Anyways, I wanna hear some more theories on this and how you guys predict this bloodshed will go down.

Cool topic. I'll give you my take on the Vale. I don't see them coming in at the last second and helping either Stannis take out the Bolton force or the Night's watch defeat the others. Gorge just doesn't write warfare to be glorious or romantic like that. Warfare in his book is that for every 1 epic battle there's a year or more of waiting, foraging, and slaughtering smallfolk. also, I don't get the vibe that these Knights of the Vale are decent people. at best, they come off as ignorant like Renly's knights of summer, at worst they're probably as cruel and callow as guys like the Mountain and armory lorch. when littlefinger said he'd get the Vale to take over the North, I picture him going after poorly defended places where most of the fighting men are out in the service of Roose or Stannis. My guess is White Harbor would be the place to strike first, possibly with the help of some Sistermen reavers. 

23 hours ago, Mooncalf said:

Cool topic. I'll give you my take on the Vale. I don't see them coming in at the last second and helping either Stannis take out the Bolton force or the Night's watch defeat the others. Gorge just doesn't write warfare to be glorious or romantic like that. Warfare in his book is that for every 1 epic battle there's a year or more of waiting, foraging, and slaughtering smallfolk. also, I don't get the vibe that these Knights of the Vale are decent people. at best, they come off as ignorant like Renly's knights of summer, at worst they're probably as cruel and callow as guys like the Mountain and armory lorch. when littlefinger said he'd get the Vale to take over the North, I picture him going after poorly defended places where most of the fighting men are out in the service of Roose or Stannis. My guess is White Harbor would be the place to strike first, possibly with the help of some Sistermen reavers. 

That’s an interesting take on The Vale, it’s probably more likely to happen that way actually and my theory might be far-fetched. I just think that with guys like Bronze Yohn and potentially other honorable lords that haven’t been thoroughly introduced yet, there has to be some retribution dealt out from the knights of the Vale. Who else has the soldiers to handle the winter attrition as well as them at this point? They have to do some good or there’s no hope left in the series. 

you know who I think will be a huge factor in Sansa's storyline. Timett and the Burned Men. last we heard of them, they were back in the mountains with Lannister and Stannis' steel and the raiding has been better than ever. I wonder if he'll recognize or think anything of Sansa. Will littlefinger find a way to use them as his weapon or will they destroy most of the vale villages.

16 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

I see the few honorableish people left in the vale leaving and joining other armies/forces.

really a lot of things could happen battlewise, there's just so many possibilities, sort of like a fractal of possibilities.

i see Dorne and many of the other "lesser" military forces joining their cause to larger forces (faegons,maybe danys) either that or they fooolishly try and take on larger armies, which is risky at best.

3 minutes ago, Mooncalf said:

you know who I think will be a huge factor in Sansa's storyline. Timett and the Burned Men. last we heard of them, they were back in the mountains with Lannister and Stannis' steel and the raiding has been better than ever. I wonder if he'll recognize or think anything of Sansa. Will littlefinger find a way to use them as his weapon or will they destroy most of the vale villages.

I agree that most of the forces that tyrion "organized" could be a real game changer.

i believe for the story to progress that little finger has to fall/die/something like that, this would free up Sansa, the armed men of vale to do something other than hug the freaking mountain 

1 hour ago, Mooncalf said:

Good point. Timett One Eye is fierce indeed and may be the first warrior that could unite the mountain clans. I speculate that the clans might have some 3-5 thousand fighting men, if they could combine forces. Still, I think the Knights have superiority with armor and horses but need the stern leadership, not LF. I could see them playing a role in the tourney; perhaps they attack a host of nobles arriving/departing the Gates of the Moon, or if they’re brazen enough, an all out attack on the castle itself. Timett should recognize Sansa though and that might be a defining factor that leads to LF’s demise. 

Archived