[Spoilers] Fire and Blood Errata

Ran

I've commented on the one major thing that didn't appear in F&B on Reddit, but figured I should mention it here as well.

It's indicated that "every castle" in Dorne was burned thrice in the Dragon's Worth, including Sunspear, and that Visenya had burned it earlier. This, however, was removed from TWoIaF after we pointed out to George the issue that the "ancient" Sandship and so on don't show any sign of the dragon-burning damage seen in Harrenhal and mentioned in other instances. George agreed that was an issue, and in fact expanded on it by providing the maesters several speculative explanations for why the Targaryens left Sunspear alone.

We noted it when we were helping with the edit, but it fell through the cracks in the editing process, so it'll have to wait for a new print to be put back in.

I think I've identified a couple of inconsistencies more:

• In the chapter "The Lysene Spring and the End of the Regency", there's a paragraph saying: "High in the Mountains, the unthinkable happened one night as Lord Robert and his men huddled about in their campfires." I think it should say "Sir Robert", as he is referring to the son of Lord Rowan, who is still alive.
  • Lucinda Penrose has her nose cut twice. The first time by outlaws while going to the ball (chapter Under the Regents)  and then on the orders of Lord Manderly, who condemns her and Priscella Hogg to have their noses cut off (chapter The Lysene Spring)

I didn't point the whole Sunspear thing out because I actually feel it is better if that castle burned, too. Perhaps not completely, but it should have burned. I think it could have worked well enough to imagine some crucial parts of the castle were not burned.

Yeah, slitting noses open and cutting them off seem to be two different things. Although both are ugly.

Given how he elaborate he got with the historical speculations, including the maesters having propaganda letters from the Marches being sent into Dorne (which I always thought was a nice touch), George definitely thought otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Given how he elaborate he got with the historical speculations, including the maesters having propaganda letters from the Marches being sent into Dorne (which I always thought was a nice touch), George definitely thought otherwise.

If that all came from him - get it all back into FaB!

I also liked the speculation from TWoIaF about there being this secret anti-dragon weapon Meria bought from the Lyseni.

Still, it is odd that Aegon would continue that route even during the Dragon's Wroth.

Blast, the First Dornish War thing could have deserved the details of the Jaehaerys or Regency material. Done this way a lot of the machinations and motivations of the players could have been more clear. Especially the desire of the Dornish to resist as strongly as they did. There are people who don't find that very convincing the way it is presented.

I think one can do much in that regard if one sees it as the descendants of the Rhoynar resisting the last Valyrian dragonlords - in addition to the traditionally strong enmity between Dorne and the Marches.

I don't think there's going to be room to put the whole thing back into F&B. But yes, that was all George figuring out the speculations. I think the Lyseni weapon was one we proposed, and he used that, and then a couple more. The propagnda was his idea for sure.

20 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Quicksilver is interchangeably referred to with male or female pronouns.  They should think it’s one or the other.

Well, we can pretend that was an intentional ploy on George's part. As changeable as flame and all that.

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

I don't think there's going to be room to put the whole thing back into F&B. But yes, that was all George figuring out the speculations. I think the Lyseni weapon was one we proposed, and he used that, and then a couple more. The propagnda was his idea for sure.

Depending how many sentences that were it wouldn't really do anything to the page count, just the framework of the 'Wars' chapter. And if one wanted to do it really sly and all, one could just take out all the burned Sunspear references in the text as written, and then just edit the ending of the chapter a little bit, adding an addendum of 1-2 paragraphs on the relationship of the Targaryen siblings and the Yellow Toad, discussing the curious thing that the seat of House Martell never burned. It could be recounted how they used psychological warfare and all that. 

That way this could be done without actually messing with the finished book as it stands on a production level.

The question is whether one would want to do that to a book that has already been published. Usually one doesn't, but in this case I think such a change is most definitely still technically possible. And the people for which this would be done would most definitely be thankful.

1 minute ago, The Grey Wolf said:

In the section on Jaehaerys I's ascension one of Maegor's Kingsguard is misspelled as being from House Crayne.

From what I could fathom that's not a mistake but rather a new house.

Ser Jon Hogg is once listed as "John" Hogg

Rogar Baratheon is once listed as Roger Baratheon

Again it says that Visenya burned Reach while Houses like Lychester and Wayn are in Riverlands

Lucan, Clegg and Allar are listed as Grand Maesters during events of the book when we already have list of Grand Maesters as follows: Ollidar - Lyonce - Gawen - Myres - Desmond - Benifer - Elysar - Runciter - Mellos - Orwyle (unless I forgot something)

Can't tell if some are just mistranslations as I own book in another language.

I'm confused regarding something said about Coryanne Wylde:  that among her exploits:

"If the tales are true, during the course of her life she found herself a handmaid to a queen, the paramour of a young knight, a camp follower in the Disputed Lands of Essos, a serving wench in Myr, a mummer in Tyrosh, the plaything of a corsair queen in the Basilisk Isles, a slave in Old Volantis (where he was tattooed, pierced, and ringed), the handmaid of a Qartheen warlock, and finally the mistress of a pleasure house in Lys...before ultimately returning to Oldtown and the Faith"...(Page 157, US hardcover)

But from The World of Ice and Fire, it say that a plague ripped through the Basilisk Isles 77 years after the Doom of Valyria ( 114 BC - 77 = 37 BC) leaving them entirely abandoned for a century ( 100 - 37 = 63 AC or so), when they were re-settled by pirates.

Coryanne was young when she went to Dragonstone in 50 AC, at the beginning of her career.   But the Basilisks should have been deserted at the time.

How is this reconciled?  That she went to the Basilisks many years later?  That the book should have said the Stepstones?

It may cast doubt on the veracity of Sins of the Flesh: A Caution for Young Girls as a reliable source.

55 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Lucan, Clegg and Allar are listed as Grand Maesters during events of the book when we already have list of Grand Maesters as follows: Ollidar - Lyonce - Gawen - Myres - Desmond - Benifer - Elysar - Runciter - Mellos - Orwyle (unless I forgot something) 

According to my notes, all the Grand Maesters you list are explicitly said to be correlative save for Elysar and Runciter. [In 101 AC (...) Runciter, the new Grand Maester only recently arrived from the Citadel after Allar was felled by a stroke]

We are told that Elysar dies at 98 AC (or the year before), so it would even be technically possible that either Lucan, Clegg, or both, were grand maesters between Elysar and Allar.

But it's not necessary. Of G.M. Clegg we are just told that he "came to King's Landing many years later", and Lucan "wrote later" about the events. Al of that could happen after 136.

39 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I'm confused regarding something said about Coryanne Wylde:  that among her exploits:

But from The World of Ice and Fire, it say that a plague ripped through the Basilisk Isles 77 years after the Doom of Valyria ( 114 BC - 77 = 37 BC) leaving them entirely abandoned for a century ( 100 - 37 = 63 AC or so), when they were re-settled by pirates.

Coryanne was young when she went to Dragonstone in 50 AC, at the beginning of her career.   But the Basilisks should have been deserted at the time.

How is this reconciled?  That she went to the Basilisks many years later?  That the book should have said the Stepstones?

It may cast doubt on the veracity of Sins of the Flesh: A Caution for Young Girls as a reliable source.

"A century" may not be precise.

"Entirely abandoned" may not be entirely accurate. 

A Caution for Young Girls is not a reliable source.

Paxter,

Those are all fixed in the US edition, but due to the time pressures translators were under many of them did not receive the fixes in time for their own publication.

Archived