[Spoilers] Fire and Blood Errata

Ran

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

Those are all fixed in the US edition, but due to the time pressures translators were under many of them did not receive the fixes in time for their own publication.

Damn, and I still don't have second part of the book in my country.

What about House Broome? Is this a typo for house Broom or new noble house? Or is House Broom changed to Broome like Robar was changed to Rogar?

The Craynes are mentioned two times - the first is the Kingsguard knight, and later they are introduced as a noble house in the Vale, so these are not supposed to be the Craynes Cranes (damn, now I confuse them myself) from the Reach. Still, not exactly the greatest name choice. Might be we meet a Crayne in TWoW, attending the tourney at the Gates.

The Broomes are spelled this way in FaB. There are no Brooms. But the noble house of the West descended from the First Men, House Broom, was previously spelled this way - and at least the pious Broomes rising against the Targaryens whose castle is later burned by Balerion should be Brooms. The same the family of Lady Lucinda. It seems quite clear to me that her piety is connected to the piety of her family - who rose against Maegor and the Targaryens. Ser Alfred could be a Broome, but I'd prefer it if he was also spelled 'Broom'.

Broom is supposed to be an easy First Men name, so that would be the way to go.

24 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The Craynes are mentioned two times - the first is the Kingsguard knight, and later they are introduced as a noble house in the Vale, so these are not supposed to be the Craynes from the Reach. Still, not exactly the greatest name choice. Might be we meet a Crayne in TWoW, attending the tourney at the Gates.

The Broomes are spelled this way in FaB. There are no Brooms. But the noble house of the West descended from the First Men, House Broom, was previously spelled this way - and at least the pious Broomes rising against the Targaryens whose castle is later burned by Balerion should be Brooms. The same the family of Lady Lucinda. It seems quite clear to me that her piety is connected to the piety of her family - who rose against Maegor and the Targaryens. Ser Alfred could be a Broome, but I'd prefer it if he was also spelled 'Broom'.

Broom is supposed to be an easy First Men name, so that would be the way to go.

I guess that suggests that Lucinda and Ella as well as Alfred were born in the Westerlands.

Do you have quote where Craynes are mentioned as house in the Vale?

8 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

I guess that suggests that Lucinda and Ella as well as Alfred were born in the Westerlands.

That is how I'd like it to be. And I think for Lucinda and Ella this is effectively confirmed by the fact that Balerion does burns Broomes in the West.

8 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Do you have quote where Craynes are mentioned as house in the Vale?

Sure:

The Corbrays, Hunters, Craynes, and Redforts rallied in support of Lady Jeyne’s chosen heir, Ser Joffrey Arryn, whilst the Royces of Runestone and Ser Arnold, the Mad Heir, were joined by the Templetons, Tolletts, Coldwaters, and Duttons, along with the lords of the Fingers and Three Sisters.

I think the Duttons would be a new house, too, no?

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

I think the Duttons would be a new house, too, no?

Yes, they are. To be honest we knew relatively few houses in Vale compared to Reach or Riverlands for example, so it's good to see them. I hope we will learn more about them and they won't be just random nobodies without coat-of-arms nor castle.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

She has black hair. A detail George decided to change.

Important.

(I'm not being sarcastic - updated character appearances are always frustrating - such as when we retroactively learned that Rhaenyra's eldest 3 sons had brown hair, long after fanart had already been made)

…..did she have grey hair during the Dance itself due to old age?

….did someone else already notice this somewhere else?  A minor change from Sons of the Dragon.

The novella version says "Though half a dozen hatchlings had been born amidst the fires of Dragonstone in the later years of Aegon’s reign."

However, the Fire & Blood version says "Though a dozen hatchlings had been born amidst the fires of Dragonstone in the later years of Aegon's reign" (F&B - US hardcover page 57)

The number of hatchlings has thus doubled.

Probably a minor point....I myself was particularly obsessed with trying to figure out which dragons appeared when and lineages, but even I think this may be fruitless:  simply, not every "hatchling" lived to maturity (see Rhaena of Pentos), some got eaten by the Cannibal, etc.  

But what caused the change?

Princess Rhaenys has black hair and purple eyes. This was long overdue considering that the seed is supposed to be strong...

It is a pity, though, that the line about Laenor Velaryon have the blood of the dragon on both sides of his lineage was actually taken out.

With the seed being as strong as it is, the mentioning that Corlys Velaryon actually had Targaryen blood himself could have helped explain why Princess Rhaenys came after her mother, but her children inherited the colors of their father (at least insofar as the hair is concerned).

Granted, as things stand, the most recent Targaryen ancestor of Corlys Velaryon was his great-great-great-grandmother (if we assume that Daemon (I) Velaryon was the brother of Valaena Velaryon and they had indeed a Targaryen mother), that's not exactly a recent marriage.

7 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

But what caused the change?

No idea at all. I didn't even realize this had changed up until now.

3 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Others have already noted, I assume, that the line in F&B now reads "Visenya brought fire and blood to the riverlands" and not "the Reach"?  Fixing the prior error?

Yeah, that one is corrected. Both times.

going through my handwritten notes....

I was very confused by something about Joffrey Doggett.  

It was pretty much implied that the surviving Warrior's Sons outside of Westeros "chose" or elected a new Grand Captain to replace the loss of the previous one in the trial of seven.  

But then on page 97 (US Hardcover) it says that Joffrey Doggett was the "self-proclaimed" Grand Captain of the Warrior's Sons.  What?

Arguably the High Lickspittle did order them all to disband, but LONG BEFORE that, Doggett visited Oldtown when it was still ruled by the original High Septon to receive his blessing.  

That "self-proclaimed" seem contradictory.

yeah...even within the book, on page 83 it introduces Ser Joffrey by saying that the Warrior's Sons "chose" a new Grand Captain, but then also on page 114, it says he "took on the mantle" of Grand Captain.  

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

That "self-proclaimed" seem contradictory.

I'd agree with that. One can make sense of the word choice if one wants to dance around, but it is poor word choice.

By the way, this here is clearly wrong. This has to be changed to 'Dragonstone':

Men who knew him were unsurprised when he gave shelter to Queen Alyssa and her children after their flight from King’s Landing, and when he was the first to proclaim Prince Jaehaerys king.

@Ran

Since you brought up the Sunspear issue, is the fact that the suggestion to scourge the Iron Islands with dragonfire after the Conquest is not mentioned in FaB a similar thing? Not everything has to be mentioned in FaB, of course, but there is a lengthy discussion of what to do with the Iron Islands in the Wars chapter, and this suggestion does not come up.

On the first of those voyages, he sailed beyond the Jade Gates, to Yi Ti and the isle of Leng, and returned with such a wealth of spice and silk and jade that House Velaryon became, for a time, the wealthiest house in all the Seven Kingdoms. -The Long Reign

On the ninth, Ser Corlys took her back to Qarth, laden with enough gold to buy twenty more ships and load them all with saffron, pepper, nutmeg, elephants, and bolts of the finest silk. Only fourteen of the fleet arrived safely at Driftmark, and all the elephants died at sea, yet even so the profits from that voyage were so vast that the Velaryons became the wealthiest house in the Seven Kingdoms, eclipsing even the Hightowers and Lannisters, albeit briefly. - Heirs of the Dragon

One thing that it's not exactly an errata, but it's hard to reconcile:

Gyldayn says that "more than forty men have served the Iron Throne as Grand Maesters". In the period that's covered by the book, we have:

1. Ollidar (5-6), 2. Lyonce (6-12). 3. Gawen (12-42), 4. Myros (42-43), 5. Desmond (43-44), 6. Benifer (44-59), 7. Elysar (59-97), 8. Allar (97?-101), 9. Runcifer (101-122), 10. Mellos (122-129), 11. Orwyle (129-131), 12. Gerardys (130-131), 13. Munkun (131-136...)

That's 13 Grand Masters in 136 years. It could be one more (between Elysar and Allar there's the possibility of being one maester), but you also could also substact one (If Rhaenyra is not counted as a queen, Gerardys shouldn't be counted as Grand Maester).

We also know about all the maesters after 256: Kaeth (256-257), Ellendor (257-258), and Pycelle (258-300). That's three, or four if you want to count Merion (although he died on a chill while traveling to KL and didn't actually serve the Iron Throne.)

That means that in the 120 years between 136 and 256, at least 24 Grand Maesters should have served the Iron Throne. That's an average of exactly five years, which is dramatically low, specially for a period when the realm is supposed to be more stable (The first 136 years, with Maegor maester-killer and the civil war, had an average of 10 years and a half).

Not an errata for FaB, but for TRP. Here lists the differences between them:

The term "Rogue Prince" never appears in FaB, it's probably coined to fit the theme of Rogues.

FaB doesn't mention Mushroom's claim that Daemon deflowered Alicent, nor that Laenor has "dragon blood on both sides of his lineage".

It's Maester Gerardys (Orwyle in TWOIAF) who cut Viserys' fingers. Orwyle (Gerardys in TRP) became Grand Maester after that.

Other minor fixes:

His remains were burned in the Dragonpit, his ashes interred with Good Queen Alysanne’s beneath the Red Keep on Dragonstone.

Queen Alicent, who remained slender and graceful at almost twice half again her age.

Ser Vaemond’s younger brothers cousins fled to King’s Landing with his wife and sons, there to cry for justice and place their claims before the king and queen.

Mushroom tells us that Aemond One-Eye rose to toast his Velaryon cousins nephews, speaking in mock admiration of their brown hair, brown eyes … and strength. “I have never known any one so strong as my sweet cousins nephews,” he ended.

Archived