[Spoilers] Fire and Blood Errata

Ran

As the gods would have it, seven days later at Storm’s End his lady wife gave birth to the son and heir that Lord Borros had so long desired. His lordship had left instructions that the babe was to be named Aegon if a boy, in honor of the king. But upon learning of her lord’s death in battle, Lady Baratheon named the child Olyver, after her own father.

Lady Baratheon’s father, Royce Caron, Lord of Nightsong and Marshal of the Marches,

We're told she chose the name Olyver after her father, but her father was named Royce Caron. 

I have a question about this date which may be in error or just misunderstood by me:

King Aegon III Targaryen wed Lady Daenera on the last day of the 133rd year since Aegon's conquest. (Fire & Blood 648) bold emphasis added

Does this mean the marriage took place on the last day of 133 AC or of 134 AC? If it means 133 AC it doesn't fit with the  timeline as we are told leading up to the marriage. Before this we are told the following:

On the twenty-second day of the ninth moon of 133 AC, Jaehaera of House Targaryen, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and the last surviving child of King Aegon II, perished at the age of ten.” (Fire & Blood 635)

and this:

Yet even before Lord Unwin had ascended the Iron Throne, he had sent a raven to Starpike summoning his daughter to the city. Though Maiden's Day was yet three moons away, his lordship wanted Myrielle at court, in hopes that she might befriend and beguile the king, and thus be chosen on the night of the ball. (Fire & Blood 641) bold emphasis added

The phrase "ascended the Iron Throne" references the time when Lord Unwin announce the Maiden's Day ball in which Aegon would choose his new bride. That means that between the 22nd day of the 9th moon of and sometime before the announcement of the ball Maiden's day was still three months away. There are a number of reasons this is problematic if the marriage takes place the last day of 133 AC. Obviously, if there is almost no time between the death of Jaehaera and the announcement of the ball it still puts the ball very, very close to the last weeks of the Year 133. Are we to believe that the wedding took place just days after the ball?

More importantly, we are told earlier that Maiden's Day falls much earlier in the year.

It was upon the twenty-second day of the fifth moon of the year 130 AC when the dragons danced and died above the Gods Eye. Daemon Targaryen was nine-and-forty at his death; Prince Aemond had only turned twenty. Vhagar, the greatest of the Targaryen dragons since passing of Balerion the Black Dread, had counted one hundred eight one years upon the earth.” (Fire & Blood 502) bold emphasis added

and before this event we are told the following:

On Maiden’s Day in the year 130 AC, the Citadel of Oldtown sent forth three hundred white ravens to herald the coming of winter, but Mushroom and Septon Eustace agree that this was high summer for Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen.” (Fire & Blood 477) bold emphasis added

Which tells us that Maiden's Day in 130 AC falls before the 22nd day of the 5th moon, not in the last few days of the year - a timing that fits with the Maiden's Day we see in the main series. Does Maiden's Day happen more than once a year? Does the time it is celebrated "float" from year to year? Am I just not reading the date of Aegon's and Daenera's wedding correctly and it happens in the following year after Jaehaera's death? Or is this just an error in the date printed?

Thanks to @Ran or anyone else who can help me sort this out.

@SFDanny

It may well be that George did it intentionally, to indicate the feast days are movable to a system we do not know. I admit I did not think about it, and I'm not sure anyone else did when putting together the books. I'll definitely be passing this question on.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

@SFDanny

It may well be that George did it intentionally, to indicate the feast days are movable to a system we do not know. I admit I did not think about it, and I'm not sure anyone else did when putting together the books. I'll definitely be passing this question on.

About this, I'd like to add that Maiden's Dat as mentioned in TPATQ and in Feast do seem to (at least be able) to fall at the same moment of the year.

That might be worth mentioning too.

10 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

@Ran Wasn't Elys supposed to be male name? Now we have Elys Waynwood and Elys Arryn.

Not unheard of. There's also a woman named Robin, when we have Robin Flint, Robin Ryger, etc. 

On page 634 'Lord Corbray' should read 'Ser Corwyn Corbray' considering that Ser Corwyn is Rhaena's husband and he did not become the Lord Corbray of Heart's Home after the death of his older brother.

The world book states that Lyonal was given the Lordship of Harrenhal

Lyonel Strong, famed as a warrior but also a man of great natural gifts who had earned six links in his chain at the Citadel, was granted the lordship in the reign of Jaehaerys I. He served as master of laws, then Hand to Viserys I, while his sons became deeply entangled in the court. 

Now Fire & Blood claims it was Byland

With Rhaena’s death, Jaehaerys granted Harrenhal and all its lands and incomes to Ser Bywin Strong, the brother of Ser Lucamore Strong of his Kingsguard and a renowned knight in his own right. (73 AC)

This seems an unnecessary change given as Maegor Towers could have simply lived a decade or two longer. 

Regarding House Strong these passages suggests they were a prominent House before the Targs conquered

One by one, the lords of the Trident renounced Harren and declared for Aegon the Dragon. Blackwoods, Mallisters, Vances, Brackens, Pipers, Freys, Strongs...summoning their levies, they descended on Harrenhal.

==========================

Thus did the flower of House Strong, an ancient line of noble warriors boasting descent from the First Men, come to an ignoble end in the ward at Harrenhal. No trueborn Strong was spared

Which lands did they rule before Harrenhal and given that Byland was only a knight was he not the lord of that House? Or were they only a knightly House and Byland the head of the House?

Is the "6 dragons to visit Winterfell" story from the main series no longer canon and just a story? or is it just 6 Targs and not physical dragons? The only time it could have been possible for 6 dragons is before Rhaena's death but then she avoided court life for her last decade or so.

The formation of the Company of the Rose was another aspect I'd hope to read more on but not mentioned either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 6:42 AM, Bernie Mac said:

The world book states that Lyonal was given the Lordship of Harrenhal

Lyonel Strong, famed as a warrior but also a man of great natural gifts who had earned six links in his chain at the Citadel, was granted the lordship in the reign of Jaehaerys I. He served as master of laws, then Hand to Viserys I, while his sons became deeply entangled in the court. 

Now Fire & Blood claims it was Byland

With Rhaena’s death, Jaehaerys granted Harrenhal and all its lands and incomes to Ser Bywin Strong, the brother of Ser Lucamore Strong of his Kingsguard and a renowned knight in his own right.

@Ran, any input on this contradiction? Is Bywin as the first Strong Lord of Harrenhal canon now?

Archived