House Broome

Paxter Redwyne

1 minute ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Are Lucinda and Ella Broome related to Alfred Broome or is it error and they are from house Broom? We have never heard about house Broome before.

I expect they are, Alfred may be of a cadet branch being forced to enter the household of a lord.

But in the end there shouldn't be Houses Broom and Broome. One has to be a typo.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I expect they are, Alfred may be of a cadet branch being forced to enter the household of a lord.

But in the end there shouldn't be Houses Broom and Broome. One has to be a typo.

Well, Benedict Broom was mentioned in the main series if my memory works correctly, so I guess Broom is the correct one, unless George decided to change it for some reason. @Ran Do you know if Broom and Broome are separate houses or is it just an error?

Edit: Typo

The only Broome as such is Ser Alfred. And he is drawn from FaB. And as I said in the errata thread, there are no Brooms in FaB, not even those who should be Brooms (the Westermen). That seems to be an error.

If it's true that Broome and Broom is one house, they became pretty interesting. Member of this house married Lord Paramount of Trident and her sister was seen as viable as spouse for the King. They must have been pretty influential in the day, maybe on par with Reynes and Westerlings.

Ella Broom(e) only became a candidate for Jaehaerys' hand because her sister happened to be Lady Tully - whose husband sat on the council.

In a sense, it is striking how broad the pool of suggestions of kingly brides are, but usually only a very small group actually has a shot.

It should be noted that the appendix for A Game of Thrones describes House Broom as one of the principal houses sworn to House Lannister.

We also see a few characters mentioned that have the same house name as houses that are regarded as long extinct, such as Brownhill and Long, indicating that there isn't any strict laws on surname selection that prevents recently the ennobled from reusing surnames, or picking surnames similar to those already existing.

And we also are introduced to House Crayne of the Vale, in contrast of House Crane of the Reach. It is possible that House Broom and Broome are two different houses, but seems unlikely to me. The chief indicator being that House Broome is of the westerlands as well.

Archived