Does Nettles prove the Valaryians weren’t exceptional?

Varysblackfyre321

16 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Sheepstealer did not predate the Targaryens on Dragonstone, it hatched while they were there.

What happened to Varamyr when Mel roasted him in the eagle is what will happen if/when someone tries to skinchange a dragon. It will become a key point that to skinchange a dragon a person's soul must be able to survive in the fire, must become fire, and that will be a one way road, a second lifing not a skinchanging. And that will be what the Valyrian dragon riding families worked out how to do that no-one else did. And what happened to Rhaego and Drogo.

Euron is trying to skinchange a dragon, he thought that is what his horn does, but because his horn blower died he's coming to realise that it isn't a skinchanging but it is a second lifing. He has to jump from a tall tower (suicide/sacrifice himself) to fly (skinchange a dragon).

But doesn't the Varamyr prologue chapter establish that a skinchanger's consciousness begins to diminish once their second life begins, only to fade to nothing?

A Dance with Dragons - Prologue

"They say you forget," Haggon had told him, a few weeks before his own death. "When the man's flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains."

2 hours ago, White Ravens said:

But doesn't the Varamyr prologue chapter establish that a skinchanger's consciousness begins to diminish once their second life begins, only to fade to nothing?

Less and less human, more and more dragon, doesn't really change anything as far as what I said. It is still their soul, just now a dragon soul.

21 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Less and less human, more and more dragon, doesn't really change anything as far as what I said. It is still their soul, just now a dragon soul.

Okay I get it.  I guess you focused more on the "spirit lives on" part of Varamyr's quote whereas I focused on the " nothing of the man is left" bit.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:07 AM, The Sleeper said:

What if it weren't the Valyrians who created dragons in the first place? 

Is there anything in particular that’s prompting this question? It’s a fair question, but I don’t think we have anything yet to point to a negative. I near basely suspect the Valaryians did some experiments on typical wyerns to get them to be the  to the flying dragons. I suspect this given they are rumored to have come from Valaryia prior to dragons.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Is there anything in particular that’s prompting this question? It’s a fair question, but I don’t think we have anything yet to point to a negative. I near basely suspect the Valaryians did some experiments on typical wyerns to get them to be the  to the flying dragons. I suspect this given they are rumored to have come from Valaryia prior to dragons.

The possibility is raised by tWoIaF. It also seems something that would have been accomplished by an already advanced civilization, while it seems that the dragons were the impetus for the development of the Valyrians. 

Archived