Favourite Voice from the ASOIAF Audiobooks

Euron III Greyjoy

Roy Dotrice voices a wide variety of characters over the five ASOIAF books he narrates. For those of your that have listened to them, who is your favourite character he narrates? Mine is Euron Greyjoy, he made the man sound so smarmy and full of himself, just like how I imagined him sounding. 

His Varys is pitch perfect. Maester Aemon had such kindness to him too.

Dolorous Edd was great but he is supposed to be dour but the voice isn’t really.

I have a signed photo of Roy Dotrice as Hallayne and I treasure it. He was unparalleled.

1 hour ago, Daendrew said:

His Varys is pitch perfect. Maester Aemon had such kindness to him too.

Dolorous Edd was great but he is supposed to be dour but the voice isn’t really.

I have a signed photo of Roy Dotrice as Hallayne and I treasure it. He was unparalleled.

I agree that his Varys was also great, there really are so many great ones to choose from.

Its sad that Roy Dotrice is no longer with us, the man was a legend. I don't know who they plan on narrating TWoW, but they wont be able to do it as well as Roy. 

Maester Aemon was perfect for his character.  I wasn't a fan of Varys's voice at first but it did grow on me.  Ned was pretty fitting as well.

I didn't think how he changed Arya to an older woman started in Feast though.

If Simon Vance does WoW I would be content with that.  He did F&B.  He's one of my favorite narrators.  He narrated the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and was great in it.

35 minutes ago, The Piper Report said:

If Simon Vance does WoW I would be content with that.  He did F&B.  He's one of my favorite narrators.  He narrated the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and was great in it.

I quite liked Harry Lloyd from 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' 

2 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I've never been able to get into audiobooks. What's the allure?

Isn't it just one person reading the lines for 20 different characters?

I don't really like sitting down and reading a book, with an audiobook I can listen to it whilst walking about. 

2 hours ago, The Piper Report said:

Maester Aemon was perfect for his character.  I wasn't a fan of Varys's voice at first but it did grow on me.  Ned was pretty fitting as well.

I didn't think how he changed Arya to an older woman started in Feast though.

Dotrice can’t ever be replaced. I am envious of @Daendrew! :)

Because I am such a diehard Roy Dotrice fan, I had my doubts about getting the F&B audiobook. I did in the end, and must say I’m happy I did. Simon Vance has a new fan. 

I love the Lannisters and Pycell voices.   

Audiobooks are great for anyone who doesn't want to be stuck in a single place with a book.   Audio lets you get things done.  It's not just a person reading lines.   Roy Dotrice voices literally hundreds of characters over the course of AGOT through ADWD.   TWOW will be less without him.   Though I really enjoy Simon Vance's narration of Fire and Blood.   I was sorely disappointed in Harry Lloyd's narration--then again, he isn't the vocal acrobat Dotrice was.   Maybe i'm just spoiled.

Much as I do have favorite and less than favorite voices from Dotrice's performance, the truth is his telling of this massive tale is breathtaking.   His interpretation shaped many of my own interpretations of the text.   Very few people could pull off what Dotrice pulled off and I appreciate Vance sticking to his own voice in F&B.  It works quite well in my estimation.   

On 11/23/2018 at 9:42 PM, Curled Finger said:

I love the Lannisters and Pycell voices.   

Audiobooks are great for anyone who doesn't want to be stuck in a single place with a book.   Audio lets you get things done.  It's not just a person reading lines.   Roy Dotrice voices literally hundreds of characters over the course of AGOT through ADWD.   TWOW will be less without him.   Though I really enjoy Simon Vance's narration of Fire and Blood.   I was sorely disappointed in Harry Lloyd's narration--then again, he isn't the vocal acrobat Dotrice was.   Maybe i'm just spoiled.

Much as I do have favorite and less than favorite voices from Dotrice's performance, the truth is his telling of this massive tale is breathtaking.   His interpretation shaped many of my own interpretations of the text.   Very few people could pull off what Dotrice pulled off and I appreciate Vance sticking to his own voice in F&B.  It works quite well in my estimation.   

I recommend checking out the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on audiobook.  It's actually my favorite trilogy (I leave out books 4 and 5 since Stieg Larson, the original author, died and some random journalist guy picked up the story and completely butchered the characters I love) and it was the first time I heard Simon Vance's narration.  He has trouble with American accents but he does a great job with characters in specific scenes.

Some narrators I've heard have a lot of trouble in certain scenes.  Like you hear some of them talk normal, in a quiet voice, when the scene in the book is full of action and suspense where the character is in a dire state, but Vance handled it quite well.  I wasn't a fan of Roy Dotrice at first but he did grow on me and I'm going to be sad he won't be doing WoW.  I've gotten so used to all his voices (except Arya's which he changed) that it's going to sound weird hearing them from somebody else, even if it is Simon Vance.

Honestly the scene I remember most from the audio version was the part where Sam was alone and cold. It was a summer day when I was listening to it and I was shivering, he captured the feeling of Sam's despair so well. Really he did a great job across the board narrating this series. 

8 hours ago, The Piper Report said:

I recommend checking out the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on audiobook.  It's actually my favorite trilogy (I leave out books 4 and 5 since Stieg Larson, the original author, died and some random journalist guy picked up the story and completely butchered the characters I love) and it was the first time I heard Simon Vance's narration.  He has trouble with American accents but he does a great job with characters in specific scenes.

Some narrators I've heard have a lot of trouble in certain scenes.  Like you hear some of them talk normal, in a quiet voice, when the scene in the book is full of action and suspense where the character is in a dire state, but Vance handled it quite well.  I wasn't a fan of Roy Dotrice at first but he did grow on me and I'm going to be sad he won't be doing WoW.  I've gotten so used to all his voices (except Arya's which he changed) that it's going to sound weird hearing them from somebody else, even if it is Simon Vance.

Thanks I did listen to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books.   Somehow ASOIAF is just different for me--perhaps it is because I am in thrall.   Overall I'm very pleased with Simon Vance.  I am sure Random House and Martin are both aware of how well, beloved Dotrice became to ASOIAF fans and they will chose someone new but nonetheless amazing to finish the tale for us.   It's not like just anyone could tell this story, you know? 

On 11/23/2018 at 3:15 PM, StarkofWinterfell said:

I've never been able to get into audiobooks. What's the allure?

Isn't it just one person reading the lines for 20 different characters?

It's not for everyone. All things being equal I read much more quickly than I can listen to a narrator. But it does put a new spin on something you've already been through, and I can listen to audiobooks while I work.

Archived