Jump to content
Sci-2

Berserk Spoiler Thread

Recommended Posts

Since we were talking about it elsewhere figure it might be nice to have a thread to discuss the manga on its own.

So...what do the God Hand want? Maybe all of them want to be human again? What are their origins? (I suspect Slan sacrificed her children for example.)

How can anyone defeat Griffith at this point? (Also, is he in some way a genuine messiah?)

What is the World of Ideas, which rests above even the Spirit World, like? Will it play a role in the story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be jumping in here soon, as I am on volume 30 right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dora Vee said:

Hooray! I was wondering if there was such a thread!

I was wondering the same thing, but I was pretty sure there wasn't.  I was even thinking about making one, but didn't because I am not current on it just yet.

One thing I am confused about though.  The whole first part of the series, that is the "future" right?  Like, all of this stuff now (again, I only on volume 31) takes place before that, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to see there's a thread on this great series since I'm a longtime fan.

I don't know what the God Hand want, but with their origins, I think Void was the holy man, possibly  a founder of the Holy See that was tortured by Gaiseric during the height of his empire. Then the first eclipse occurred, with the Holy Man sacfricing the people of the empire, thus becoming Void. I can't guess on the origins of the other three.

With Griffith's defeat, I'm not exactly sure, but I do know that Gut's and Casca's child will play a huge role since Griffith is using his body to exist in the physical world. Also, we can't forget that Guts has a behilet of his own that he took from the snake apostle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, .H. said:

I was wondering the same thing, but I was pretty sure there wasn't.  I was even thinking about making one, but didn't because I am not current on it just yet.

One thing I am confused about though.  The whole first part of the series, that is the "future" right?  Like, all of this stuff now (again, I only on volume 31) takes place before that, right?

I believe it roughly goes like this (here is the actual release summaries):

- Guts wanders the world fighting Apostles, ends up killing the Alien Succubus & Snake Man.

- Guts get caught up with the Count, who ends up calling the God Hand. We see Femto here.

- Guts defeats Count, begin FLASH BACK w/ Golden Age Arc

- END FLASH BACK w/ beginning of...Conviction Arc? I think they do set up a few things like Rickert taking care of Casca.

Admittedly my memory is a little flawed here...I'll have to double check the summaries or my copies to straighten this out if no one else remembers more clearly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, .H. said:

I was wondering the same thing, but I was pretty sure there wasn't.  I was even thinking about making one, but didn't because I am not current on it just yet.

One thing I am confused about though.  The whole first part of the series, that is the "future" right?  Like, all of this stuff now (again, I only on volume 31) takes place before that, right?

It goes Black Sowrdsman (the first few chapters with the Vagina-Face-Snake and the Slug Count), then Golden Age (a flashback that spans more than a quarter of the series), then Lost Children and everything after that goes in order.

I actually just started a reread myself, prompted by the discussion in the Bakker thread, my first in a few years, so I will also likely be having more to say before too long as well.

5 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

 Also, we can't forget that Guts has a behilet of his own that he took from the snake apostle.

My suspicious in that while Guts currently possesses it, it "belongs" to someone close to him.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Happy to see there's a thread on this great series since I'm a longtime fan.

I don't know what the God Hand want, but with their origins, I think Void was the holy man, possibly  a founder of the Holy See that was tortured by Gaiseric during the height of his empire. Then the first eclipse occurred, with the Holy Man sacfricing the people of the empire, thus becoming Void. I can't guess on the origins of the other three.

With Griffith's defeat, I'm not exactly sure, but I do know that Gut's and Casca's child will play a huge role since Griffith is using his body to exist in the physical world. Also, we can't forget that Guts has a behilet of his own that he took from the snake apostle.

Yeah I think Void is definitely the holy man, though I suspect the truth of the story is likely different. I remember someone pointing out that it seems Void manipulated/created the Holy See while Slan manipulated/created the Witch Cults.

It seems they are using religion to further their own ends, though Slan might just be playing around to an extent without any definitive goal with the cults...But Void definitely seems to have re-cast the story with him as the good guy...

2 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

My suspicious in that while Guts currently possesses it, it "belongs" to someone close to him.

Damn...that could be really depressing if someone in the party makes a deal w/ the God Hand....

Edited by Sci-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'know, every time I pick this story up, I am surprised at how many people can bring themselves to hate Puck. You are all heartless monsters :crying:

Also, even with all the gore and nudity, this is still the biggest fan-service moment in Berserk (recent spoiler).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sci-2 said:

beginning of...Conviction Arc?

Actually, I'm pretty certain it's Lost Children. Here, Guts was at his darkest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Y'know, every time I pick this story up, I am surprised at how many people can bring themselves to hate Puck. You are all heartless monsters :crying:

Also, even with all the gore and nudity, this is still the biggest fan-service moment in Berserk (recent spoiler).

The most satisfying slap I've ever seen. The first time I saw that, I had the biggest smile on my face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Y'know, every time I pick this story up, I am surprised at how many people can bring themselves to hate Puck. You are all heartless monsters :crying:

Also, even with all the gore and nudity, this is still the biggest fan-service moment in Berserk (recent spoiler).

I didn't know people hated Puck. :c

I knew a lot of people hate Nina, though as some pointed out most of us wouldn't be much braver in that reality especially once shit really hits the fan...

Edited by Sci-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, but the difference is that most people wouldn't have done what Nina has done. She's a bit worse than most people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dora Vee said:

Actually, I'm pretty certain it's Lost Children. Here, Guts was at his darkest.

I think Lost Children is technically part of the overall Conviction arc, but it feels like such a departure from the main narrative that I always list it as its own thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

She was weak, but that makes her pitiful more than contemptible, IMO.

Yea, that's how I see it too. She's like a Gollum: one to be pitied and not hated. I also think she did the right thing in choosing to stay behind. I think it took some strength to admit some things about herself.

Edited by Dora Vee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

I didn't know people hated Puck. :c

I think Puck will have an important role to play before the end. It's significant that the story begins with them meeting (rather than with Guts's childhood, or when he meets the Hawks), and I always come back to when he saved Guts when he almost collapsed (literally) under the weight of demons coming out of his own darkness after killing Rosine. You ever notice Puck sleeps up against the Behelit? Always calls it "his"? And they are on an island with one of the few magical creatures that might actually pose a threat to Griffith...who currently has some free time on his hands...

Full disclosure, I'm 3:00am on a Saturday morning level stoned right now (ty earnestly for the advice @Jace, Basilissa), so this all may well be me seeing nonsensical connections where none exist.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

And they are on an island with one of the few magical creatures that might actually pose a threat to Griffith...who currently has some free time on his hands..

Do you mean the Flower Storm Monarch?

I guess elves are arguably more capable of acting in the world...What's interesting is that Griffith and the God Hand re-enchanted the world, making it harder for humans to survive outside Falconia.

But now Griffith is pushing outward, reconquering the world for humans.

It's why I wonder if the entire God Hand want to live as god-kings in the mortal realm. Why else are the other four supporting Griffith's rather childish dream of being a monarch...are they using him or is he truly one of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sci-2 said:

Do you mean the Flower Storm Monarch?

I guess elves are arguably more capable of acting in the world...What's interesting is that Griffith and the God Hand re-enchanted the world, making it harder for humans to survive outside Falconia.

But now Griffith is pushing outward, reconquering the world for humans.

It's why I wonder if the entire God Hand want to live as god-kings in the mortal realm. Why else are the other four supporting Griffith's rather childish dream of being a monarch...are they using him or is he truly one of them?

Hanafubuku, yes.

And remember one of the first things that Griffith did after his reincarnation was send his Apostles to kill Flora. IIRC the Skull Knight mentions her as having been a greater threat to the God-Hand than a thousand swords, or something along those lines.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. I firmly believe that Elfhelm will be attacked, but will have a twist. 

Something like this: https://griffiths-huggybox.tumblr.com/post/161046951708/bthump-divinesong-said

Speaking of theories/meta: 

https://griffiths-huggybox.tumblr.com/post/162227141473/universal-monarchy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×