Did Bran Warg Into Summer to Kill The Assassin?

L’Age d’or

Every time I read this chapter during my re-reads, this question pops into my head; I always concluded, in my haste to move on, it was Summer smelling trouble and coming to help. Finally thinking about the issue properly, it occurs to me that if it was the wolf noticing danger, the intruder would not even have made it up to Bran's room.

I have raised three guard dogs over the years and their instinct and senses are just too formidable - let alone a legendary wolf - to let a threat go by like that without intercepting it. Now since the assassin had been living in the stables for days and reeked of horses, I presume that's what fooled Summer and let the guy slip past his guard. Knowing the wolf had missed the threat, the only explanation is Bran's telepathic powers sensing extreme danger to himself and his mother forced him to warg into Summer and eliminate the danger. It probably was not the strongest case of mind control though, as I believe Summer did most of the work and Bran as a novice warg just did what he could to lead the wolf to the assassin. 

Could it be Summer heard the struggle?  Afterall, Cat had to fight with him for a bit before Summer took over.

With all of Bran's POVs there was never a single thought to back up your point and it took Bran a while longer to realize his powers.  

I would think that once Bran knew his power he would have had a thought about saving himself.  

On 11/27/2018 at 9:42 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Maybe, maybe not. With all the Bran POVs, I feel like if it was him he would've brought it up at some point, even if at the time he just thought it was a dream. We know that the Direwolves are protective of their humans, so it might just be that. 

It could have felt like another sequence of endless dreams to him, something his psyche later suppressed; it's natural for one not to remember the bulk of one's dreams after waking up. 

42 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

It could have felt like another sequence of endless dreams to him, something his psyche later suppressed; it's natural for one not to remember the bulk of one's dreams after waking up. 

Its hard to prove your point when the only POV that could doesnt have any recollection, i mean, he remembers his dreams about the golden man and the fall and he feels the clutching in his stomach and such.. I think like you said, the man smelled familiar, so summer still a pup didnt picked up a suspicious smell, he sensed or heard the commotion and darted to the scene.. Thats just taking the "Natural" part of these creatures (smell, hearing and such), when you throw in the magical bond each wolf shares with the human then you have the answer..Summer didnt need bran inside his head to know there was something weird going on.

And IIRC the fact that they kept summer away from Bran was dampening (?) his connection to magic, as soon as they let summer in Bran started gaining strenght, the crow dreams (correct me if I'm wrong amd he had them before too) and soon after he woke up

What I suggested in my OP was that Summer had some minor help - a mental shove - from Bran to bring the immediate danger to the wolf's attention. If you read the scene, there is not much to suggest that the struggle inside the room was noisy at all. When finally Catelyn screamed Summer was there in a matter of moments, considering the wolf would have had to run to the entrance of the tower from below the window and climb up the stairs; I don't think the timing works. 

Bran was chosen because of his vast telepathic potential to replace the great all knowing three-eyed raven and in his immediate POV we learned that he with the help of the said entity he could witness events happening in different parts of the world. So it is not far from the realm of possibilities to infer that Bran could have had a part, an unconscious and instinctual one, in saving his mother and consequently that of his own life. 

2 hours ago, L’Age d’or said:

there is not much to suggest that the struggle inside the room was noisy at all

Yet there was a struggle and Bran's ears would able to hear said struggle and maybe Bran could even sense the danger subconsciously. 

I would argue that it was their mental connection that inspired Summer to act.

I do not think Bran did an actual warging at that time though. 

If he has a vision or remembrance in the text then and only then will I change my mind.

:cheers:

13 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

Yet there was a struggle and Bran's ears would able to hear said struggle and maybe Bran could even sense the danger subconsciously. 

I would argue that it was their mental connection that inspired Summer to act.

I do not think Bran did an actual warging at that time though. 

If he has a vision or remembrance in the text then and only then will I change my mind.

:cheers:

I'm not trying to change your mind, just threw out an idea that occurred to me and wanted a discussion over it.

On another note, I'm a firm believer of that not everything should be spelled out for one in the text to be true, I take pleasure in trying to find what is left unsaid and provides opportunity for inference. 

On 11/30/2018 at 7:18 AM, L’Age d’or said:

What I suggested in my OP was that Summer had some minor help - a mental shove - from Bran to bring the immediate danger to the wolf's attention.

I love warg discussion.  :)  But in this case, I don't think so.  As other's pointed out Bran would have made some sort of a nod to it in his later POVs.  Summer being a DW AND bonded to Bran would be enough for him to sense danger.  Like when Bran is climbing before his fall.  Summer knew of the danger and tried to warn him and Bran told him to be quiet.  And that was before Bran's "awakening.  The DWs have autonomy. 

Archived