Summer vs. Jaime Lannister

Damsel in Distress

Jojen asked, "Did you dream of a wolf?"

He was making Bran angry.

"I don't have to tell my dreams.  I'm the prince.  I'm the Stark in Winterfell."

"Was it summer?" asked Jojen

"You be quiet."

"The night of the harvest feast. You dreamed you were Summer in the godswood, didn't you"

"Stop it", Bran shouted.

Summer slid towards the weirwood.  His white teeth bared.  Jojen paid him no mind.

"When I touched Summer, I felt you in him.  Just as you are in him now."

"You couldn't have.  I was in bed.  I was sleeping."

"You were in the godswood.  All in grey.  

"It was only a bad dream."

Jojen stood.  "I felt you.  I felt you fall.  Is that what scares you?  The falling."

The falling.  Bran thought. And the golden man.  The queen's brother.  He scares me too.  But mostly the falling.  He could not say it though.  How could he.  He had not been able to tell Ser Rodrik or Maester Lewin.  He could not tell the Reeds either.  If he could not talk about it, maybe he would forget.  He had never wanted to remember.  It might not even be a true remembering.

"Do you fall every night, Bran?"

A low, rumbling growl rose from Summer's throat and there were no play in it.  He stalked forward, all teeth and hot eyes.  Meera stepped between the wolf and her brother, spear in hand.

"Keep him back, Bran"

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident.  He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief.  He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding secrets hard in her heart.  There were shadows all around them.  One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound.  Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful.  Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing but darkness and thick black blood.

I am looking forward to the inevitable fatal confrontation between the Lannisters and the Starks.  Bran almost remembered who crippled him during this scene with the Reeds.  He will eventually put the puzzle together.  He has a fear of Jaime Lannister.  He will learn why in the future.  Bran Stark vs. Jaime Lannister.  It will be an interesting battle.  It is a confrontation that so many of us have wanted to see for a long time.  Summer, warged by Bran, against Jaime Lannister.  

6 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

I am looking forward to the inevitable fatal confrontation between the Lannisters and the Starks.  Bran almost remembered who crippled him during this scene with the Reeds.  He will eventually put the puzzle together.  He has a fear of Jaime Lannister.  He will learn why in the future.  Bran Stark vs. Jaime Lannister.  It will be an interesting battle.  It is a confrontation that so many of us have wanted to see for a long time.  Summer, warged by Bran, against Jaime Lannister.  

I would love to see this fight.  Summer kills Jaime but not before one-arm strikes a mortal blow to the direwolf.  

9 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Call me a skeptic. Martin doesn't usually wrap things up in neat little packages like this. Arya has Joffrey on her kill list, but she doesn't get to do it. Come to think of it, I don't think she kills anyone on her list other than:

Spoiler

Raff

As for Bran, he is being groomed to face the true enemy, the enemy of all mankind. I doubt very much that he is overly concerned about Jaime anymore. AIR, he hasn't thought, or dreamed, of him since that conversation with the Reeds in the godswood, no?

12 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Good stuff.  I want to see these two fight.  I don't like these families but Bran is better than Jaime.  I hope he kills Jaime but loses Summer.  

This arc is about forgiveness. Bran will come to understand the words "the things I do for love" (that's what Meera is about, R+L=J and to an extent Dunk) and when he sits in judgement of Jaime he will look him in the eyes and be unable to take his life.

And he will also come to understand the importance of getting past revenge for the WOT5Ks, as Bloodraven will not have gotten over the Blackfyre rebellion and will cause huge damage to the realm by continuing to fight it. Jaime is going to end up one of the few capable leaders alive come series end, and the realm will need to be united, and Bran is benevolent, so Bran will do what is best for the realm and probably sentence Jaime to take the black rather than take his life. And Jaime will of course play an integral part and die heroically saving Westeros against the Others.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Trefayne said:

I can't really explain why, but I get the strong feeling that Bran is going to forgive Jaime.

What about the Starks strikes you as them being a forgiving bunch? 

20 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Call me a skeptic. Martin doesn't usually wrap things up in neat little packages like this. Arya has Joffrey on her kill list, but she doesn't get to do it. Come to think of it, I don't think she kills anyone on her list other than:

Reveal hidden contents

Raff

As for Bran, he is being groomed to face the true enemy, the enemy of all mankind. I doubt very much that he is overly concerned about Jaime anymore. AIR, he hasn't thought, or dreamed, of him since that conversation with the Reeds in the godswood, no?

Apart from him who shall not be named, Arya has also killed Polliver and the Tickler with her own hand and ordered the death of the Chiswyck and Weese. The unnamed is the only one she came after on her own, but even so all these kills were opportunistic in one way or another. 

1 minute ago, Trefayne said:

I wasn't speaking of Starks. I was speaking of Bran.

Whose direwolf was the first to kill, has witnessed decapitation, threatened the wildlings that ambushed him with the same, has tasted human flesh through his wolf and rides around in the mind of his servant. He is a sweet kid, except when he is not. 

9 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

Whose direwolf was the first to kill, has witnessed decapitation, threatened the wildlings that ambushed him with the same, has tasted human flesh through his wolf and rides around in the mind of his servant. He is a sweet kid, except when he is not. 

I suppose I'm hoping that wisdom breeds acceptance and acceptance breeds forgiveness. I guess we shall see. I hope he gets more than a pittance of chapters next time. I like reading his journey.

1 hour ago, Trefayne said:

I suppose I'm hoping that wisdom breeds acceptance and acceptance breeds forgiveness. I guess we shall see. I hope he gets more than a pittance of chapters next time. I like reading his journey.

Why towards Jaime? Apart from the fact that he is not a good person, he is an enemy who when we last saw him served a false king and was bent on dispossessing and imprisoning what is left of Bran's family. Apart from his past crimes he remains a danger. 

2 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

What about the Starks strikes you as them being a forgiving bunch? 

Apart from him who shall not be named, Arya has also killed Polliver and the Tickler with her own hand and ordered the death of the Chiswyck and Weese. The unnamed is the only one she came after on her own, but even so all these kills were opportunistic in one way or another. 

True on the Tickler, but the Hound killed Polliver. JH also killed Chiswyck and Weese, but like you said, at Arya's command. So now we get into the whole thing about who wields true power, the one who swings the sword, the one who gives the command or ... someone else? 

And I guess if we want to get really technical about it, Arya's list is not necessarily people she wants to kill herself, just people that she wants to die. Valar Morghulis.

7 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

Why towards Jaime? Apart from the fact that he is not a good person, he is an enemy who when we last saw him served a false king and was bent on dispossessing and imprisoning what is left of Bran's family. Apart from his past crimes he remains a danger. 

I think all of that will become irrelevant to Bran. He has a bigger foe to deal with now. So my take is that he won't ever forgive Jaime, he'll just let it all go -- just like Bloodraven did. And then Bran will probably die when the big confrontation takes place.

Just now, John Suburbs said:

I think all of that will become irrelevant to Bran. He has a bigger foe to deal with now. So my take is that he won't ever forgive Jaime, he'll just let it all go -- just like Bloodraven did. And then Bran will probably die when the big confrontation takes place.

Bloodraven is mostly corpse and tree. Bran is barely ten. I doubt he would go after Jaime, but should the opportunity arise... 

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I'd have to agree with this. He might even come to realize it was for the best as he'd likely never have opened his third eye without the fall. I'd like to think Bran may yet survive all this, though he doesn't seem to be in a good spot for it.

4 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

Sweet on Meera.  Sour on just about everything else.  But you know, Bran is better than Arya in some respects.  He didn't seek out a house of cold-blooded killers to learn how to get his revenge on the Stark enemies.  

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

You expect too much from Bran.  Jon is older than Bran and revenge never became irrelevant to him.  Not even when his vows forbade it.  Remember what he did to Janos Slynt?  He killed his sworn brother for a minor crime and let another sworn brother with greater crimes off the hook.  There was no justice there.  Just cold-blooded, icey revenge and treason.  Bran is not going to be better.  

21 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Sweet on Meera.  Sour on just about everything else.  But you know, Bran is better than Arya in some respects.  He didn't seek out a house of cold-blooded killers to learn how to get his revenge on the Stark enemies.  

He does need some work on that regard. Well, he's younger though. 

Archived