Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

I’ve been rewatching The Office recently and just finished season 5. Still love it. 

Also finished Narcos: Mexico yesterday. It was good but not great, started really solid but it was lacking something I haven’t really pinned down yet, and dragged some during a few characters storylines. I’m gonna start season 3 today since I skipped that one.

Gonna put this here for those who left The Walking Dead. This season has been really good. Might be worth a binge watch. It's at the midseason break now so if you try it you'll only have to watch half a season to decide. I strongly recommend watching through mid season before deciding to stop again, get past the Rick episodes. To me after Rick is much much better.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Gonna put this here for those who left The Walking Dead. This season has been really good. Might be worth a binge watch. It's at the midseason break now so if you try it you'll only have to watch half a season to decide. I strongly recommend watching through mid season before deciding to stop again, get past the Rick episodes. To me after Rick is much much better.

I tend to agree. I'm a lapsed viewer and got on board again for "rixit" and while it's not great TV it is definitely watchable again and doesn't infuriate me. In many ways it's essentially morphed into a spin-off show. Unless the current episode sonehow undoes the goodwill i'm back on board with the show.

I managed to sit down and watch Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I have to say I'm pretty torn on it, and didn't finish it. 

I found the first tale a real delight, maybe some of my favourite 10 minutes of anything I've ever seen. It seemed to get the tone absolutely right and had a real sense of playfulness and fun.

The second tale was less engrossing, but I enjoyed it none the less.

The next two however required a lot of patience, almost as if they were purposefully slow and repetitive (possibly it was on purpose in order to make a point) but I just couldn't bring myself to watch the 5th story after that, an hour had gone by but it had felt like longer. I don't know if I'm going to continue. 

AH, I see there’s a new thread.

I watched Adrift again. I really love this movie, but I also love sailing so I’m sure that plays a role and it’s about every sailors’ worst nightmare wrap in a love story. I would definitely recommend it.

17 hours ago, dbunting said:

I always wait until each half season is done, and then binge that.  I'll probably watch it at some point this week.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

The old Watch needs to be locked up.  :thumbsup:

But then you can't quote those posts in this thread.  I wish more people would use that feature.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well to be fair, your favorite movie bores the hell out of me. :P

27 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

We can't all have good taste, I suppose :P 

Now I have to know, what is your favorite movie?  The only thing I can think of that Tywin could be referring to is Blade Runner.

23 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Now I have to know, what is your favorite movie?  The only thing I can think of that Tywin could be referring to is Blade Runner.

Yup. I've tried to watch it three times, all at night and I'm 3 for 3 on passing out. 

@Triskele

The more I reflect on this a few days after having seen it the more impressive I think it was.  All six stories have a lot to them to the point that I think that if one were to both ponder it and rewatch it, it's quite possible that one's preferred order of the six shorts could move around quite a bit.  

I have a hard time at this point even attempting to put them in order right now in part just because of few of them are so different.  

I wonder if we should start a thread just for this.  It seems like a lot of folks are watching this, and I don't want to get too detailed in this thread.

Yeah, I waffled between ranking The Gal Who Got Rattled and Meal Ticket as being the best story. I'm going to watch the whole movie one more time (probably in parts) as I think I missed some themes on a couple of stories. For example, 

Spoiler

Was there anything deeper with the girl the robber saw before being hanged in Near Algodones? Or am I trying to read something out of nothing?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yup. I've tried to watch it three times, all at night and I'm 3 for 3 on passing out. 

Speaking of.. caught 10 minutes of Blade Runner 2049 on HBO during a break in a wedding I attended this weekend. Instantly sucked me in with the sheer beauty of the cinematography. I also immediately felt like I was watching a timeless classic. I know this movie and the original can feel slow or sleepy as it unfolds.. but their depth makes up for it. I also love how the themes and plot connect so well to the original. Villeneuve really knew how to pay homage to it.

I haven't really thought about the films since the 2049 theatrical release but I think I'm going to watch the original and 2049 again back to back at some point to see how my experience has changed.  

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Favorite!  Delicious, whacky fun, featuring two of my favorite historical figures, Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill.  (Not historically accurate though, but hey -- Olivia Coleman!)

I'm so excited for this movie! I'm a massive fan of The Lobster and really enjoyed the language of Killing of Sacred Deer. Coleman looks like magnificent in this role (looking forward to seeing her in the Crown too)

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

The Favorite!  Delicious, whacky fun, featuring two of my favorite historical figures, Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill.  (Not historically accurate though, but hey -- Olivia Coleman!)

Possibly my most anticipated film of the year given the trailers and fantastic cast

I had bad luck with television over the past week. 

While waiting for my usual shows to air on Friday and Saturday (which never happened - I guess CW thought everybody would be Black Friday shopping instead of caring to watch tv?), I watched Top of the Lake. 

Top of the Lake started out as a rather promising, whimsical, somber crime mystery. And for about four episodes, it kept me convinced it was going somewhere. You can imagine the letdown. After finishing the last episode, I thought about it for a while - benefit of the doubt, right? Maybe I’m not enough to get it. But no. The more I think about it the worse it was. And I’ve also come to find that the reason why I dislike Elizabeth Moss so much is that I have never seen her play a character I find remotely likeable or relatable. 

Then the weekend came along and so watched Frontier Season 3. The first season was utterly horrible. There was some hope flickering in the dark of season 2, which also ended with a cliffhanger. Season 3 was.... bad. Just plainly and rawly bad. The highlight of the season was Jason Momoa holding up a head with an entire, bloody spinal column dangling from it that he tore out from a man’s body.  I guess that says everything that needs to be said about the story. And let me tell you, we finished season 3 at the same status que we finished season 2 with - the lead character’s plot didn’t move forward an inch. 

I also half watched The Christmas Chronicles by the creators of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Home Alone (is it a good idea to raise the audience’s expectations of a Netflix original movie to such heights? I think not). I don’t want to bash it too much because it was so boring I barely paid attention between ironing bedding sets and changing cushion covers, so I’m not actually positive what went down in terms of the plot. I know it had a cliché ending. And a Santa that tried  so hard to be original, that the effort in itself was a cliche. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I will concede that Blade Runner 2049 looked beautiful. And I am surprised that I don't enjoy them because on paper they're in my wheelhouse. 

Stop watching them when you’re drunk and tired. :P

They’re pretty cerebral movies, that need your full attention. 

By now I've begun watching the Spanish television Alatriste -- and despite being told it was shyte, it ain't shyte.

It's not the greatest, because the program doesn't have the budget that say, the BBC Musketeers had -- which remains the all time greatest tv of this sort of thing ever. But so much of the detail is still splendid, and if one wants swashing and buckling (same era as Musketeers, after all), we got 'em. And lots of military and political history, not to mention LITERARY history. After all, all these guys encountered each other on those first 17th C field of Flanders -- English, Spanish, French, Dutch, etc. I can deal with this. Happily.

Among other thing I quite like that this long first season is centered on the Prince of Wales, Charles (King Charles Stuart I), son of King James, 8 - 9 month visit to Madrid, in hopes of marrying King Phillip's sister, the Infanta Maria. So we have French involvement on screen, with the French Queen and Cardinal Richelieu.

I'm liking it quite a bit, in fact.

Though I continue to wonder as I've wondered all my life about great sword duellers and fighters wearing those enormous cloaks which seem the perfect recipe for tripping, tangling and all the other ways one can defeat oneself. But fashion, my dears, fashion!  let us be elegant, my dears, or die!

Also like encountering actors I've seen on El ministerio del tiempo.

I finally found time to watch The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I loved it. Perfectly book-ended with The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and The Mortal Remains, my favorite episodes of this anthology film. I'm curious as to how it would've turned out as an anthology series as opposed to a film.

Spoiler

I lost it when Buster killed that guy in the saloon by kicking the table into his pistol. So ridiculously twisted :) 

Archived