Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I had bad luck with television over the past week. 

While waiting for my usual shows to air on Friday and Saturday (which never happened - I guess CW thought everybody would be Black Friday shopping instead of caring to watch tv?), I watched Top of the Lake. 

Top of the Lake started out as a rather promising, whimsical, somber crime mystery. And for about four episodes, it kept me convinced it was going somewhere. You can imagine the letdown. After finishing the last episode, I thought about it for a while - benefit of the doubt, right? Maybe I’m not enough to get it. But no. The more I think about it the worse it was. And I’ve also come to find that the reason why I dislike Elizabeth Moss so much is that I have never seen her play a character I find remotely likeable or relatable. 

Then the weekend came along and so watched Frontier Season 3. The first season was utterly horrible. There was some hope flickering in the dark of season 2, which also ended with a cliffhanger. Season 3 was.... bad. Just plainly and rawly bad. The highlight of the season was Jason Momoa holding up a head with an entire, bloody spinal column dangling from it that he tore out from a man’s body.  I guess that says everything that needs to be said about the story. And let me tell you, we finished season 3 at the same status que we finished season 2 with - the lead character’s plot didn’t move forward an inch. 

I also half watched The Christmas Chronicles by the creators of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Home Alone (is it a good idea to raise the audience’s expectations of a Netflix original movie to such heights? I think not). I don’t want to bash it too much because it was so boring I barely paid attention between ironing bedding sets and changing cushion covers, so I’m not actually positive what went down in terms of the plot. I know it had a cliché ending. And a Santa that tried  so hard to be original, that the effort in itself was a cliche. 

I think it was because of Thanksgiving actually since they are US shows/networks

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think it was because of Thanksgiving actually since they are US shows/networks

*whispers* I know but Thanksgiving is a Thursday. Nothing would stop people from switching on the tv on Friday and Saturday, especially with the massive food come :leaving: 

I rewatched No Country For Old Men over Thanksgiving.  Still great but also still dissatisfying at the end.  It left me feeling so tense that I also watched Hasan Mirhaj’s comedy special afterward. 

I’m still watching Justified S3 during flights.  Still very good.  But it’s hard to sympathize with Rayland’s outrage at being called a dirty cop.  He may not take bribes but he sure breaks lots of laws, stomps on civil rights of suspects, uses his badge to pursue personal vendettas and conveniently protects or ignores illegal activity by people close to him.  It’s good TV but there’s no way we should actually tolerate police like this.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Stop watching them when you’re drunk and tired. :P

They’re pretty cerebral movies, that need your full attention. 

But that’s when I watch movies! Don’t be judgmental! I don’t judge you for thinking Andy Dalton is a quality starting quarterback!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m still watching Justified S3 during flights.  Still very good.  But it’s hard to sympathize with Rayland’s outrage at being called a dirty cop.  He may not take bribes but he sure breaks lots of laws, stomps on civil rights of suspects, uses his badge to pursue personal vendettas and conveniently protects or ignores illegal activity by people close to him.  It’s good TV but there’s no way we should actually tolerate police like this.

Stop thinking and enjoy! Agreed with you about real life though. Rayland is a throw back and a slightly updated, less angry, more snarky version of Seth Bullock.

Watched Season 3 of Frontier.  I enjoyed that, a quick 6-episode binge.  That *could* be a suitable end for the show, but clearly they want to do more seasons with one new plot thread introduced in the final episode, and the formation of the North-West Company, the historical rival to the HBC.

Justice League.  Maybe it's the underdog status but I've come to like it more than I care to admit.  The league members' interaction is actually good and under-appreciated. The guy who shares the name of the band that did "Born To Be Wild" still sucks but I like Gary Clark Jr's version of "Come Together".

21 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

watched witchfinder general last night! pretty great look at the evil lurking within humanity 

The one w/Vincent Price?  That movie is depressing as hell, but I thought it was really unusual and different in terms of who the real good guys v. bad guys were....

19 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The one w/Vincent Price?  That movie is depressing as hell, but I thought it was really unusual and different in terms of who the real good guys v. bad guys were....

YEs! That’s the one. Very depressing and as such I didn’t LOVE it but I did think for an obviously low budget effort it’s really quite a great film - no hint of Witchcraft at all and nothing supernatural to make the Witchfinder sympathetic - he is simply a sadistic misogynist and I though for a film made in 1968 it’s really on the money exploring that. The ending is horriying. 

Last Kingdom season 3, excellent so far. Want to discuss it but I want to avoid spoilers so I’m staying out of the thread for now. Better than S1 and 2, both of which I loved. Did the budget increase too? I don’t need know the details of the BBC to Netflix deal but presumably it came with an upped budget because everything looks that little bit more polished than last time. 

Also the actor portraying Alfred continues to blow me away

37 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Last Kingdom season 3, excellent so far. Want to discuss it but I want to avoid spoilers so I’m staying out of the thread for now.

Definitely stay out of that thread until you finish the whole season.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Last Kingdom season 3, excellent so far. Want to discuss it but I want to avoid spoilers so I’m staying out of the thread for now. Better than S1 and 2, both of which I loved. Did the budget increase too? I don’t need know the details of the BBC to Netflix deal but presumably it came with an upped budget because everything looks that little bit more polished than last time. 

It's lovely to hear that you are liking it as much as it seems most of us who have been impatient lucky enough to have seen the whole season already!

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:
3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Definitely stay out of that thread until you finish the whole season.

Agreed, some people just went all out with spoilers for each episode as they were watching.  In fact, Helena, if you could use your moderator powers to alter the thread title to include season three to warn off other people that would be nice (since @Veltigar hasn't been around lately).

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Agreed, some people just went all out with spoilers for each episode as they were watching.  In fact, Helena, if you could use your moderator powers to alter the thread title to include season three to warn off other people that would be nice (since @Veltigar hasn't been around lately).

I miss @Veltigar (even if that is off thread topic). 

:(

Archived