Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's always weird when long time posters who have no chance of getting banned just disappear. I miss my friend from down under...

People disappearing for no reason that we on the other side of the digital communication only cannot know is always sad, yes indeed.

An speaking yet again of Veltigar, if I recall correctly, among his very short period of return, he brought up The Derry Girls as the funniest -- and best -- he'd watched in some time.  I thought of him today when I saw it was coming to -- US netflix December 21.  I'll give it a try in honor of Veltigar.

It's not that I agreed particularly with his tastes and judgments, but none of that mattered -- especially as our tastes seemed to be rather different.  His views are nuanced, well-informed, intelligent and insightful, so one always pays attention to what he has to say.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

People disappearing for no reason that we on the other side of the digital communication only cannot know is always sad, yes indeed.

An speaking yet again of Veltigar, if I recall correctly, among his very short period of return, he brought up The Derry Girls as the funniest -- and best -- he'd watched in some time.  I thought of him today when I saw it was coming to -- US netflix December 21.  I'll give it a try in honor of Veltigar.

It's not that I agreed particularly with his tastes and judgments, but none of that mattered -- especially as our tastes seemed to be rather different.  His views are nuanced, well-informed, intelligent and insightful, so one always pays attention to what he has to say.

I agreed with Veltigar’s opinion involved Derry girls, hilarious little comedy. Be quite happy if it has a second season

I went to see Widows. I thought it was good, the acting was great (particularly Viola Davies and Elizabeth Debicki) and it was well directed - the final heist scene was very tense, and McQueen did some interesting things with some of the quieter scenes, such as the car journey through the neighbourhood entirely shot from the bonnet of the car. If I had a complaint it might be that it did feel like the main characters went from not knowing what they were doing to apparently being very competent in a really short space of time.

Ha. Just checked my Regal points and I have enough for two free tickets. Headed out to see Creed 2 tomorrow. 

I've avoided all spoilers for now. But my theory is that something along this line happens. In the ballpark? 

Does Adonis accidentally kill Drago's son during the fight? It would have an odd symmetry with what happened to Creed's father.

Anyhow, watching the first one tonight in preparation. 

Anyone else see Wreck It Ralph 2 yet? I watched it last weekend. I thought it was a fun movie. The biggest thing being.....

Someone lucked out and ended up getting +$20,000 for a $300 game part on ebay. Kind've disappointed we didn't get to see that person celebrating at the end.

Creed 2 was very close to being as entertaining as the first one. It earned its right to exist rather than just being there to make more money. One thing this film does better though is spending time on the other boxer so that you give a shit about him also. Lundgren was surprisingly good.

I hope they don't do another one though as I'm struggling to think of a story that will add to Creed's arc now unless

they throw us a curveball and have the next film be called "Drago"

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

Creed 2 was very close to being as entertaining as the first one. It earned its right to exist rather than just being there to make more money. One thing this film does better though is spending time on the other boxer so that you give a shit about him also. Lundgren was surprisingly good.

I hope they don't do another one though as I'm struggling to think of a story that will add to Creed's arc now unless

Hide contents

they throw us a curveball and have the next film be called "Drago"

There will be a Creed 3. Guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

There will be a Creed 3. Guaranteed.

Sadly i have to agree. I just wish there wouldn't be. Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll make another great installment but i guess the rocky franchise has always been about running ideas into the ground.

18 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Killing Eve just dropped on Hulu and I've been watching it. Excellent show and beautiful camera work. I'm about 2 eps in.

Possibly my favourite show of the year. It just had... I dunno, a cheekiness about it that I loved. The main actress is incredible as well.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Sadly i have to agree. I just wish there wouldn't be. Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll make another great installment but i guess the nearly every franchise has always been about running ideas into the ground.

Fixed that.

Finished Narcos: Mexico. My enthusiasm was rather tepid this time around,  didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first three seasons.  The three main narcos reminded me too much of the three bosses of the Cali cartel. Diluted versions.

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

Finished Narcos: Mexico. My enthusiasm was rather tepid this time around,  didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first three seasons.  The three main narcos reminded me too much of the three bosses of the Cali cartel. Diluted versions.

I think it had less compelling characters across the board.  Kiki just wasn't as interesting as Pena was in the first three seasons, and none of the other guys were developed enough to be anywhere close to Murphy from seasons one and two.  Outside of Kiki, the other American cops were just kind of there.  They didn't get much development as characters.  

Similarly, I think the Mexican characters were less developed than their Colombian counterparts.  Miguel spends the first half of the season more or less just along for the ride.  He has a good idea, but it seems like he's the beneficiary from a frankly insane amount of luck early on.

Don Neto was great, though, much like Don Berna before him.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I think it had less compelling characters across the board.  Kiki just wasn't as interesting as Pena was in the first three seasons, and none of the other guys were developed enough to be anywhere close to Murphy from seasons one and two.  Outside of Kiki, the other American cops were just kind of there.  They didn't get much development as characters.  

Similarly, I think the Mexican characters were less developed than their Colombian counterparts.  Miguel spends the first half of the season more or less just along for the ride.  He has a good idea, but it seems like he's the beneficiary from a frankly insane amount of luck early on.

Don Neto was great, though, much like Don Berna before him.

Gallardo was a big disappointment for me. His success seemed to be entirely due to his associations with key people. He seemed to lack agency up until the final 15 minutes of the finale. Diego Luna was fine, the writing wasn't.

I always have trouble believing Michael Pena in serious roles. I never bought his Kiki Camarena.

Yes, Don Neto was the best part of the season and Nava was a close second. Loved to hate that character.

3 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Gallardo was a big disappointment for me. His success seemed to be entirely due to his associations with key people. He seemed to lack agency up until the final 15 minutes of the finale. Diego Luna was fine, the writing wasn't.

I always have trouble believing Michael Pena in serious roles. I never bought his Kiki Camarena.

Yes, Don Neto was the best part of the season and Nava was a close second. Loved to hate that character.

Don Neto just wanted to have a drink, man.

I do think that Gallardo had more agency than he let on.  I'm assuming that, in real life, he did some maneuvering behind the scenes to ensure he came out ahead the various times when it looked like he was fucked.  But if that happened, they certainly didn't show it here for much of the season.  It felt like he took a lot of stupid risks and was incredibly lucky most of them panned out.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Don Neto just wanted to have a drink, man.

I do think that Gallardo had more agency than he let on.  I'm assuming that, in real life, he did some maneuvering behind the scenes to ensure he came out ahead the various times when it looked like he was fucked.  But if that happened, they certainly didn't show it here for much of the season.  It felt like he took a lot of stupid risks and was incredibly lucky most of them panned out.

Gallardo had to have been more active in real life. The writers did a poor job of showing that however. He came across as too passive and weak at times in the series. He only seemed like he had any semblance of authority and control in the final episode. He at times seemed like the Forrest Gump of tv drug lords just being the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time with the right friends.

Anyone watch F is for Family? The adult animated series created by Bill Burr and he voices the main character? Season 3 is up on Netflix. It's not the greatest show but it's pretty good and I'm invested in what happens to all the characters in the Murphy family.

Going from binging four seasons of Narcos to Snowfall (already watched season one, but re-watching it because it's been a long while) was an awesome choice.  It's basically continuing the same story from another perspective. 

Archived