Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

11 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Welcome to the Stanley Kubrick worship group. :D just kidding. There is so much to enjoy and be amazed at in Kubrick's movies, even Barry Lyndon. 

He’s always been one of my favorite directors. I had just never seen Paths of Glory. Think all I have left now is The Killing, and Lolita. 

Watched the first two episodes of the Polish Netflix series 1983. Good so far. Alternative history's can be a lot of fun. Interesting to see where the story is going and the revealing of that alternative history.

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Did you see the previous installment? The scene where he is hanging on the outside of a jet as it takes off from the ground is amazing and he really did it. I imagine there is a making of snip out there somewhere.

Yeah that has to be the craziest stunt ever performed for a movie. It's so incredibly dangerous. There's no harness or contraption in the world that I'd consider safe enough to keep me strapped to that plane. And how could you possibly top that stunt.. fight wild animals? Use real guns? Float tetherless in space? It would take something akin to those Red Bull spectacle stunts that are just sheer lunacy.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Personally, I don’t think any of the Die Hard sequels are all that good. Kind of liked the 3rd one for Samuel L Jackson, but that’s about it. None compare to the original, imo. 

I love the 3rd one. Not just because of the addition of Samuel L Jackson but also because of Jeremy Irons and McClane having to solve trivia problems while fighting guys all over NYC. It's more 'fun' from the seriousness of the first movie. 

14 hours ago, Mexal said:

I liked Die Hard 2. My wife and I do an annual Christmas watching of 1 and 2.

The MJR near me is showing Die Hard later this month as part of their retro celebration (money grab attempt).  They have shown or will show, Beetle Juice, Patton, 2001, Home Alone, Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Elf and some others.  My wife and daughter love Elf and watch it every year so I am surprising them this Sunday and taking them to see it.

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The MJR near me is showing Die Hard later this month as part of their retro celebration (money grab attempt).  

I mean, Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever, so it makes sense to show it this month,

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever, so it makes sense to show it this month,

Couldn't agree more, it did have a Christmas party in it so that qualifies!

Well, that movie and Christmas Vacation, gotta have some cousin Eddie love.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:00 AM, Astromech said:

Watched the first two episodes of the Polish Netflix series 1983. Good so far. Alternative history's can be a lot of fun. Interesting to see where the story is going and the revealing of that alternative history.

Thanks. I was wondering about that one.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Thanks. I was wondering about that one.

I'm about halfway through the series and the story is slowly revealing itself. Interesting take on alternative history with some intriguing parallels to modern times. (Even though the series takes place in alternate 2003). Some really cool what-ifs.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:29 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched Aquaman last night. It was great fun — non-stop action, descent plot, a visual feast for the eyes.

It looks identical to the animated movie they released a few years back, so I don't know if it's worth taking my son to see the new one.

We went to see the Broadway tour production of Miss Saigon on Saturday.  Excellent performances, so-so score and thoroughly depressing libretto/plot.  I did enjoy it but I haven't hummed a single song since.  Sticking to live theater for a minute, we have tickets for Hamilton in January and Hamlet in June.  We are lucky to have easy access to a good slate of theater here.

My wife has been binge watching the cheesy seasonal rom-coms on Netflix.  It's her equivalent of listening to the Christmas music station on the radio to get in the holiday mood.  I've been playing Civ next to her while she watches.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

My wife has been binge watching the cheesy seasonal rom-coms on Netflix.

I do a bit of that myself.  I did watch one the other day that made me actively angry - Christmas Wedding Planner.  Stupidest fucking ending ever.

1 minute ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I do a bit of that myself.  I did watch one the other day that made me actively angry - Christmas Wedding Planner.  Stupidest fucking ending ever.

Yes, that was one she watched.  And there seem to be several thinly veiled retellings of the Meghan Markle princess fantasy in fictional European countries with BBC British accents.

Killing Eve (2018) BBC / BBC America.  There will be a second season.

. . . . Killing Eve was a US - British critics' favorite 2018 television series - perhaps even more favorite than Body Guard, which featured Jon Snow Richard Madden, which is all about a guy, despite Keeley Hawes.

Commonly these are the words used by the critics to describe Killing Eve:

Stylish, Snappy, Sharp, Snazzy, Sophisticated, Sexy, Smart.

Also: Light-hearted, Urbane, Cosmopolitan, Entertaining.  

Myself, I would add Short (Thank Goodness!).  Preposterous (O! so Preposterous -- see: Short, Thank Goodness!). 

Killing Eve has been billed as the #MeToo Moment thriller, original, different, centering women.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

More like Orphan Black, please? OK?

17 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Watched Barry. Started out as a really fun, quirky comedy that got incredibly dark and interesting. It's stuck with me for the last couple of days. 

I know there were some people here who didn't like how dark Barry got and how much it got away from the comedy but I thought it was fantastic.

19 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, that was one she watched.  And there seem to be several thinly veiled retellings of the Meghan Markle princess fantasy in fictional European countries with BBC British accents.

My wife had me watch the Christmas Prince the other day. So bad. Next up, Christmas Prince 2 (whatever it's called). 

I watched the latest Mission Impossible movie over the weekend and I'm shocked to say that I found it to be kind of boring. I've seen them all, some are good, some are not, but I don't recall thinking that any of them were boring. Odd. 

Archived