Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

18 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Did our ever read the books? I’m really impressed with how faithfully they have captured the tone and style. Really like the actors for Violet and Klaus too.

I think I might have read the first book but I'm not sure. I just love the way the show looks, it's a little bit like a Wes Anderson film - the colour palettes, the landscapes, the costumes, all the little details. And it's so funny, there aren't too many things on TV which make me laugh like that.

We watched some supposedly bad films (and vice versa) over the holidays. Being in the mood for something cold and moody we watched Hold the Dark but really wished we hadn't bothered, it was overly long and unsatisfying. Do not recommend. Whilst doing a huge jigsaw we had the spectacularly OTT and unfeasible American Assassin on (it does not require your full attention) and also The Hitman's Bodyguard which we thought would be equally poor but it was actually intentionally quite funny. Again, it doesn't need your full attention but if you want something with outlandish fight scenes and explosions which is also amusing, then I would recommend it. 

Oh, and finally, we saw a film called Calibre which kept popping up on lists of 'films you might have missed in 2018'. I thought it was pretty good. One of those grim, horribly inevitable stories (set in an isolated bit of Scotland) where you know it's not going to have a cheery ending. Worth a go.

New Luther is a good thing, but I don't get why they do these unrealistic things with London, e.g. make it look like the streets around London are deserted at 10 pm at night. London might not stay open all night like some other cities but you don't see streets with literally nobody else on them at 10 pm in zones 1 and 2. And the stupidly expensive sub basement house where the psychiatrist lived, you get those out west where lots of rich people live in the same place, not really in east London. I'm not saying the show needs to be absolutely accurate. But there are definitely bits that take me out of the moment because they look wrong to me. 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, Isis said:

Saw Birdbox and I have some feelings about it. 

Hide contents

I wish they'd done the Gary storyline a bit more justice. The film was two hours long so I think they could have spent more time on the conflict in the group re allowing him in, they way he divides the group and also how Mallory never finds out what happens to him - so that even years later as she almost finds the school for the blind she is still scared that Gary is following her. I think that was done really well in the book. 

They also don't really go into why Gary was able to look at the creatures and survive (in the film).

Overall I thought it was decent. I'm not a book purist. But I just felt they could have upped the tension with Gary.

Spoiler

I've not read the book, only seen the film.

I thought the reason Gary was able to look at the creatures, again going by only watching the movie, was that Gary was one of the insane ones. Sane people look at the monsters and can't bear it so kill themselves, crazy people look at the monsters and find them beautiful and want to make everyone look at them.

Movies, oh so many movies.

Despite the movie having been released four decades ago, I finally got to see First Blood. It's the original Rambo, and despite some bad stunt work, I think it holds up really well and Stallone is excellent in it. I can see why this movie turned into a franchise and why the character became iconic. 

The second movie was Bad Times at the El Royale. I really don't know how I feel about it.  I was so looking forward to it, but left feeling like I didn't get much from it. I'll give it credit for one thing though, it really tricked me a lot of times. I did not see a lot of this story coming.

Lastly was the documentary RBG. I learned so much about a person I really admire, and it's easy to see in retrospect how this tiny quiet person became an icon. Stay healthy Notorious, we need you to hold your spot on the bench!!! 

16 hours ago, Veltigar said:

There is a new Luther? :o 

Yes, 2nd episode was on last night and it’s on all this week, it’s great!, although to be fair as someone who’s lived in London I can agree with Isis’s slight criticism.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, Isis said:

Saw Birdbox and I have some feelings about it. 

Hide contents

I wish they'd done the Gary storyline a bit more justice. The film was two hours long so I think they could have spent more time on the conflict in the group re allowing him in, they way he divides the group and also how Mallory never finds out what happens to him - so that even years later as she almost finds the school for the blind she is still scared that Gary is following her. I think that was done really well in the book. 

They also don't really go into why Gary was able to look at the creatures and survive (in the film).

Overall I thought it was decent. I'm not a book purist. But I just felt they could have upped the tension with Gary.

I haven't read the book but enjoyed the film. It has a lot in common with "a quiet place" although i thought trying to survive in bird cage world seemed almost impossible. I liked how sandra Bullock's character was quite blunt and distant and found it refreshing that someone can be like that but still be a decent person - her actions spoke louder than her interactions.

i thought gary in the film was sufficiently explained - if you are insane you are not going to die but will embrace the insanity? It seems the book version had a much bigger role as he was killed in the film. I never quite understood what the monster rules were. They seemed to actively chase people outside but couldn't physically interact with anything beyond leaves. Otherwise why were homes such a barrier? I put it down to fairy law about not entering a home or something but then it seemed one was present in the supermarket. I preferred them as non physical entities and they could only interact via the immune crazy people

Re Birdbox

Ok, perhaps that was my NYE celebration clouding my perception of how the Gary thing was explained. I think I was fixated on wanting them to show more of how the Gary storyline and the effect his arrival had on the dynamic of the group in the house. I felt like

that aspect of the 'survival' story was lacking. But ok, cool, I'm glad everyone else got it except for me. :)

I am currently watching the Bros documentary on iplayer. WOWSERS. I started watching it based off friends telling me it was breathtakingly funny. It is. But it also has some worthwhile stuff to say about the British media and what they do to celebrities/artists. I'd recommend it.  

11 minutes ago, Isis said:

Re Birdbox

Reveal hidden contents

Ok, perhaps that was my NYE celebration clouding my perception of how the Gary thing was explained. I think I was fixated on wanting them to show more of how the Gary storyline and the effect his arrival had on the dynamic of the group in the house. I felt like

that aspect of the 'survival' story was lacking. But ok, cool, I'm glad everyone else got it except for me. :)

I am currently watching the Bros documentary on iplayer. WOWSERS. I started watching it based off friends telling me it was breathtakingly funny. It is. But it also has some worthwhile stuff to say about the British media and what they do to celebrities/artists. I'd recommend it.  

I've seen some classic memes about this Bros doc, they were so cringeworthy I assumed they were made up, but it seems those are actual quotes from the show.

I'm satisfied with the conclusion of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Just thinking about it makes me feel content. :)

Today I watched The Party while I was supposed to be writing. It's black and white and revolves around the revelations which emerge at a party. It's a little bit like a farce I guess? Basically everyone is in it (Emily Mortimer, Timothy Spall, Kristin Scott Thomas, Patricia Clarkson, Cillian Murphy etc). It would make a great play. But what are the chances of getting that cast on the stage at the same time?

ETA: Forgot that I watched Rogue One yesterday too. It was a little underwhelming. A few cute moments  but nothing really notable about it. Glad I didn't bother going to see it at the cinema.

This new year's eve, down with the flu instead of going out,  I binged Ozark season 2.  Last new year's eve I binged Dark - so it's over a year since it was released.   When is season 2 of Dark???    I rarely rewatch shows, going to have to do it for this one.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

This new year's eve, down with the flu instead of going out,  I binged Ozark season 2.  Last new year's eve I binged Dark - so it's over a year since it was released.   When is season 2 of Dark???    I rarely rewatch shows, going to have to do it for this one.

I believe they began filming s2 in June, so hopefully early 2019. I'm looking forward to this as well.

Rewatching the Ricky Gervais series Derek for the third time.

It's been criticized for being too saccharine but I love it, especially when I'm feeling down.

Now I'm going to get in real trouble...I like Derek better than The Office (UK). 

Just now, drawkcabi said:

Rewatching the Ricky Gervais series Derek for the third time.

It's been criticized for being too saccharine but I love it, especially when I'm feeling down.

Now I'm going to get in real trouble...I like Derek better than The Office (UK). 

I like Extras better than both of them...

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Goodness gracious this season of Luther is so fucking good!

Yeah. One of those shows where you somehow forget how good it was between series. And also how creepy it is. I swear my brain must have blocked out some of The Fear from previous shows. I love some of the promo stuff from the BBC on Twitter. I guess if I'd worked on the show I'd be revelling in how totally fucked up it is too. 

Also, going back to my earlier comment - it looks (from the hills and the woods etc) that the ridiculous creepy basement house is in the Highgate/Crouch End. Which makes sense. I watched a short video of the cast talking about 'Luther Land'/the London of Luther and how they always film at the same time of year so it looks cold and grey/blue. And they carefully pick all of these depressing views of the skylines and buildings that fit their narrative. 

Ash vs Evil Dead landed on Netflix and so I managed to finish the first season. I've such mixed feeling about the show, as a huge Evil Dead fan I had high hopes for it, and at some points it really captures the Evil Dead magic and sense of humour. The problem the show has is that almost every new character it added to the show is pretty bland and doesn't quite seem to fit in with the character of Ash, like they are from two different universes. 

The writing also falls apart towards the middle and the end, it really runs out of steam before picking up again, and then just running off in a really strange direction. There are too many nonsensical events and bizarre character decisions to simply ignore at times. It should be that I'd be able to get over that stuff because Evil Dead doesn't take itself too seriously, but there is a point where it needs to get the fundamentals right if it is going to pull off the more over the top stuff.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Ash vs Evil Dead landed on Netflix and so I managed to finish the first season. I've such mixed feeling about the show, as a huge Evil Dead fan I had high hopes for it, and at some points it really captures the Evil Dead magic and sense of humour. The problem the show has is that almost every new character it added to the show is pretty bland and doesn't quite seem to fit in with the character of Ash, like they are from two different universes. 

The writing also falls apart towards the middle and the end, it really runs out of steam before picking up again, and then just running off in a really strange direction. There are too many nonsensical events and bizarre character decisions to simply ignore at times. It should be that I'd be able to get over that stuff because Evil Dead doesn't take itself too seriously, but there is a point where it needs to get the fundamentals right if it is going to pull off the more over the top stuff.

I found season two to be a lot more enjoyable, as it doesn't spend six episodes getting all the characters together.  They're all together from the start, and so the season just focuses on telling one story while simultaneously aping a bunch of different types of horror films in various episodes.

As far as season one goes, I thought the first episode was good, but then it just dragged ass for four or five episodes before it finally got its shit together again.  

Haven't seen season three yet, so can't comment on that.

Archived