Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

Just finished season 1 of Happy! on Netflix.

My reaction:

:huh:  :blink:  :eek:   :shocked: :lmao: :ack:    :stillsick:    :uhoh:   :owned:    :dunno:

Also, having never before heard of this series, from the very first episode I kept thinking This has got to be adapted from a comic book, it's the only explanation!

So I looked it up.

Big surprise: it was. :P 

1 minute ago, drawkcabi said:

My reaction:

:huh:  :blink:  :eek:   :shocked: :lmao: :ack:    :stillsick:    :uhoh:   :owned:    :dunno:

Also, having never before heard of this series, from the very first episode I kept thinking This has got to be adapted from a comic book, it's the only explanation!

So I looked it up.

I’m guessing you haven’t read much of Grant Morrison’s work? Happy isn’t even one of his more out there books. 

I had a lot of discussion about it elsewhere but I just realised I didn't mention it here: The ABC Murders - anyone else watch it over Christmas? Poirot (David Suchet version) is just about my ultimate comfort television. Luckily it's on almost all of the time on one channel or another. So...loads of people were downright angry about the casting of John Malkovich, the Poirot backstory, the transformation of Agatha Christie into film noir - pretty much everything about the show made someone cross. Weirdest of all, were the people claiming that the 'rise of the far right' xenophobic parts were totally made up... when it was reported in the press at the time AND it was in the books as well.

Anyway - I liked it. I am happy to see adaptations do something different and interesting with the source material.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Saw The Favourite. All 3 of the main leads are absolutely wonderful in their roles, and the interplay and dynamics between them is mesmerising. Olivia Colman is always brilliant in everything, even when I first saw her in Peep Show and Look around You, so its so nice to see her getting the roles she deserves and can really get her teeth into. 

I was expecting the movie to be a little odder, considering who directed it, but its actually quite straightforward. Its also beautiful to look at, amazing use of light at times.

I’m seeing it Thursday, I can’t wait!

Im one of the few who thought the Lobster was meh, forgettable, but this looks great and I agree the cast are a big pull for me too

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m seeing it Thursday, I can’t wait!

Im one of the few who thought the Lobster was meh, forgettable, but this looks great and I agree the cast are a big pull for me too

What I like most about Lanthimos' movies is the dialogue I think, and his sense of comic timing. There is something about his movies that really appeals to me, even if sometimes the final product is really not all that satisfying. The Lobster at times is a work of genius, but you come away by the end and probably feel a bit disappointed (mainly because the plot falls apart in the second half). Killing of a Sacred Deer is a movie I wanted to like a lot more but it was missing something.

The Favourite is so far my 'favourite' of his. However it does in fact have less of that off the cuff, rapid dialogue style than his other movies.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Saw The Favourite. All 3 of the main leads are absolutely wonderful in their roles, and the interplay and dynamics between them is mesmerising. Olivia Colman is always brilliant in everything, even when I first saw her in Peep Show and Look around You, so its so nice to see her getting the roles she deserves and can really get her teeth into. 

I was expecting the movie to be a little odder, considering who directed it, but its actually quite straightforward. Its also beautiful to look at, amazing use of light at times.

I really liked it. The three main leads were perfect and Olivia Coleman completely deserved her Golden Globe win. I didn't realize who directed it before I started watching it but I noticed some weird things so I looked it up. 

I finally watched "the fades" before it went off iplayer over the weekend. Kicking myself for not watching it when it aired in 2011 and being a part of the reason it was cancelled. That said being on bbc3 and being promoted as "from the maker of skins" actively put me off at the time.

Anyways it was great. Far too simplistic to say "British Buffy" but that's probably apt but with the inventiveness of creating a plausible monster of its own instead of usual vampires or zombies. It also wasn't afraid of taking chances in terms of characters making bad decisions. And the cast was stellar and it's not a surprise the majority of them went on to have their own shows or film careers (i guess the cancellation was good in that sense). Daniel kaluuya was amazingly good.

7 years late to the party but glad i watched it. While there is a cliffhanger it wasn't one that left me wishing I'd never bothered.

I read the innocents on Netflix has drawn favourable comparisons but besides being british i haven't noticed any crossover between writers. It does share a director so that might be it

13 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

My reaction:

So I looked it up.

Happy was fantastic... after the first episode --and the tedious introduction of Patton Oswalt's animated donkey-- I was hooked... I almost bailed, and I'm glad I didn't.

I watched the new season of Luther.  It's a really good cop show, but Ruth Wilson is what makes it great.  Also, I really hope that they stop make it because that final scene was the perfect ending for that show.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, Heartofice said:

Loved the film!!! Absolutely fantastic 

I watched the premiere of History's Project Blue Book based on the true story of US Air Force investigations of UFOs in the 1950s. It was decent if formulaic and filled with the usual tropes of alien investigations. Aidan Gillen was fine as the astrophysicist Dr. Allen Hynek. Enough there for an interesting character. Michael Malarkey's Capt. Michael Quinn, however, seemed like a cardboard cut-out of your typical self-assured, know-it-all military brass. Hopefully he becomes more interesting throughout the series.

Probably worth taking a chance for fans of the X-Files since Project Blue Book inspired Carter to create his series. Very similar themes.  Sounds like it will be a quasi-anthology with Hynek and Quinn investigating a new case each episode. Decent, but not blown away.

Bored and hadn't been to the movies in a while so I watched Escape Room today. Not a horrible movie. Pretty predictable but still entertaining enough to see it on the cheap.

Spoiler

Not too happy with the ending since it makes the whole movie a set up for a sequel. I thought they were going back to show us the leads past when she was in the plane wreck, to show the game caused it, but no, just a set up for the sequel.

Just finished another rewatch of parks and rec. Is Craig the worst character in a great show ever?

Need to get act together. Still haven't started Luther, Attenborough's dynasties, Ozark, the deuce, and only half way through BCS. 

31 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I love Craig...

I hate Craig, all he does is shout and have funny eyes.  You are wrong.

It goes

Lesley (my favourite human on TV ever, i'm so in love with her) > Ron > Andy > April > Chris > Garry/Jerry/Terry > Ben > Donna > Mark > Tom > Anne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Craig

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hate Craig, all he does is shout and have funny eyes.  You are wrong.

It goes

Lesley (my favourite human on TV ever, i'm so in love with her) > Ron > Andy > April > Chris > Garry/Jerry/Terry > Ben > Donna > Mark > Tom > Anne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Craig

You don’t have Ron first so you’re more wrong. 

Archived