Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Been watching the Sopranos marathon on HBO2 all week. Something satisfying about watching it on tv again. Debut was 20 years ago today. GOAT

Yes.  Rewatching a lot of it this week, I think it is the best show in TV history, and it's not really even that close.

I finally got round to watching Split because I want to watch Glass when it comes out in a few weeks. I knew roughly what the 'twist' at the end of the film was obviously but I was kind of expecting it to be a bigger part of the film. Anyway, other than that it was ok, McAvoy was pretty good and it didn't make me angry like a number of other Shyamalan films.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I finally got round to watching Split because I want to watch Glass when it comes out in a few weeks. I knew what the roughly what the 'twist' at the end of the film was obviously but I was kind of expecting it to be a bigger part of the film. Anyway, other than that it was ok, McAvoy was pretty good and it didn't make me angry like a number of other Shyamalan films.

McAvoy is a lot of fun. But the movie goes actually mental (in a non ironically bad way) towards the end.

The twist did not improve the movie. Or make any sense.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just finished another rewatch of parks and rec. Is Craig the worst character in a great show ever?

Need to get act together. Still haven't started Luther, Attenborough's dynasties, Ozark, the deuce, and only half way through BCS. 

Luther is only four hours of telly though (appreciate that's a long time when you have a child but even so).

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just finished another rewatch of parks and rec. Is Craig the worst character in a great show ever?

Need to get act together. Still haven't started Luther, Attenborough's dynasties, Ozark, the deuce, and only half way through BCS. 

At least the bbc has these shows on iPlayer for several months. They seem to dictate my viewing with their "x days left to watch" it's maybe a clever policy come to think of it. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Luther is only four hours of telly though (appreciate that's a long time when you have a child but even so).

It's more that after she goes to bed we want light entertainment. Not broody London and serial killers. 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:30 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Happy was fantastic... after the first episode --and the tedious introduction of Patton Oswalt's animated donkey-- I was hooked... I almost bailed, and I'm glad I didn't.

Good to know.  I bailed after the first episode, but I'll give it another shot.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Loved the film!!! Absolutely fantastic 

Having now seen it, I wholeheartedly agree. The two hours just flew by. I now feel the need to go learn about Queen Anne though as I know nothing about that period!

I loved that the film wasn’t just quirky and humourous for it’s own sake but actually had a cohesive narrative. And some especially moving scenes...the two that stand out being “Because that is love” and the scene where we discover the meaning behind the rabbits. :(

I watched Into the Spiderverse last week and man, that's such a good movie. I'm not really a superhero guy, but I will probably go watch that again at the theatre. 

Hmm - I know everyone loves Luther, but I couldn't finish the first season. The writing felt pretty bad to me. I felt the same way about The Fall. Maybe I should give Luther another try. 

I watched the first season of Broadchurch and enjoyed it overall. About the identification of the killer:

Spoiler

The too perfect husband being the killer kinda felt cheap or something... because it seemed to come out of absolutely nowhere. Although it’s obviously possible I missed some clues so I have to do some interweb searching about that. 

Olivia Colman was incredible in that last episode too. I really felt that anger and betrayal at the police station. Great stuff.

I also saw The Favourite today and it lived up to the board hype. All 3 leads were great. The ball dance scene in the beginning was phenomenal and I was kinda mad it got interrupted by Anne. I could’ve watched those 2 dance for hours. Wild moves.

I started a Deadwood rewatch too. So excited for the movie that’s actually happening.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I started a Deadwood rewatch too. So excited for the movie that’s actually happening.

Is there a general timeframe that it's coming out this year? Anyone with HBO know if they've included Deadwood movie scenes (I think they're the latest scenes of shows but can't remembet..) in those upcoming interspered movies with TV shows over the next year with the soft music playing in the background?

I'll tell you what is unexpectedly good.. You on Netflix. I had very low expectations as it looked like a pretty standard and generic thriller about a stalker, but we watched it because lots of my friends were banging on about it. 

Spoiler

What I think is such a surprise is that you have a show which is essentially about a psychopathic stalker, but he is completely sympathetic and likeable in a lot of ways, in that he genuinely tries to help people, its just that he has some pretty out-there ideas. 

When you are 8 episodes in and you are cheering when a girl and her insane stalker get together then you realise the show has done something unexpected. While actually a lot of the show is pretty cookie cutter and rom-com template, that actually seems to work for it in the way it also subverts a lot of the same tropes. 

Its far from realistic and I'm sure anything other than a the shallowest thought about the plot would drive you mad, but its very entertaining and the two main leads are great.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the first season of Broadchurch and enjoyed it overall. About the identification of the killer:

Hide contents

The too perfect husband being the killer kinda felt cheap or something... because it seemed to come out of absolutely nowhere. Although it’s obviously possible I missed some clues so I have to do some interweb searching about that. 

Olivia Colman was incredible in that last episode too. I really felt that anger and betrayal at the police station. Great stuff.

I also saw The Favourite today and it lived up to the board hype. All 3 leads were great. The ball dance scene in the beginning was phenomenal and I was kinda mad it got interrupted by Anne. I could’ve watched those 2 dance for hours. Wild moves.

Recommendation: just assume Broadchurch finishes with S1. Massive drop in quality afterwards.

The decadence and absurdity of the Court in the Favourite was brilliant! I adored the costume work too, beautifully done.

Colman has been a well established name in the UK for a while now but between the Favourite and the Crown i suspect she will be growing in popularity over in the States too.

17 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Reveal hidden contents

Keep watching. Not necessarily for unexpected revelations or a novel approach to crime films as a genre. That doesn’t change much throughout the show. Do keep watching for character building and acting, both of those are great. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I'll tell you what is unexpectedly good.. You on Netflix. I had very low expectations as it looked like a pretty standard and generic thriller about a stalker, but we watched it because lots of my friends were banging on about it. 

Reveal hidden contents

What I think is such a surprise is that you have a show which is essentially about a psychopathic stalker, but he is completely sympathetic and likeable in a lot of ways, in that he genuinely tries to help people, its just that he has some pretty out-there ideas. 

When you are 8 episodes in and you are cheering when a girl and her insane stalker get together then you realise the show has done something unexpected. While actually a lot of the show is pretty cookie cutter and rom-com template, that actually seems to work for it in the way it also subverts a lot of the same tropes. 

Its far from realistic and I'm sure anything other than a the shallowest thought about the plot would drive you mad, but its very entertaining and the two main leads are great.

I’m currently watching You, too. I’m only 3 episodes in, but I have all kinds up problems. I do agree about the main character though. 

And I will of course get back to this thread with more detailed thoughts on You, because I can’t keep my thoughts to myself and none of my friends watched it yet. 

During the holidays, I rewatched Full House which has become the hot chocolate for my soul. It’s such a perfect show and it gets better with every watch. 

I was a bit underwhelmed by season 3 of fortitude - it felt like it was cancelled while they were half-way through episode 4 and they had a week left to wrap things up. As it is it felt like a very rushed last 30 minutes when the rest of the season had been spent meandering around in madness (and it was very good at doing crazy). I'd be curious as to whether sky had lost interest in the show or the showrunners had - it's hard to tell.

18 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Is there a general timeframe that it's coming out this year? Anyone with HBO know if they've included Deadwood movie scenes (I think they're the latest scenes of shows but can't remembet..) in those upcoming interspered movies with TV shows over the next year with the soft music playing in the background?

They said it will be ready for a spring premiere in the EW article.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The decadence and absurdity of the Court in the Favourite was brilliant! I adored the costume work too, beautifully done.

Colman has been a well established name in the UK for a while now but between the Favourite and the Crown i suspect she will be growing in popularity over in the States too.

I liked how the spectacle of it all was outrageous but wasn’t too over-the-top at the same time, Yorgos really nailed that aspect of it. I didn’t know what to expect from him after seeing The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but he’s 2-2 with me now. Will have to watch The Lobster soon.

I think The Night Manager(which I really disliked)was the only thing I remember Colman from before these recent ones. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for her projects now.

Picked up the Blu-ray of The Morricone Duel: The Most Dangerous Concert Ever. It’s American conductor Sarah Hicks and the Danish National Symphony Orchestra performing classics from a bunch of spaghetti westerns and gangster movies. It’s absolutely wonderful. It’s really interesting to see how they create some of the crazy sounds. I highly recommend it. 

Archived