Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I think The Night Manager(which I really disliked)was the only thing I remember Colman from before these recent ones. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for her projects now.

You haven't seen Peep Show???

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by season 3 of fortitude - it felt like it was cancelled while they were half-way through episode 4 and they had a week left to wrap things up. As it is it felt like a very rushed last 30 minutes when the rest of the season had been spent meandering around in madness (and it was very good at doing crazy). I'd be curious as to whether sky had lost interest in the show or the showrunners had - it's hard to tell.

I also wondered at the point of doing these four episodes - at all. It does seem to just get cut off with barely any conclusion. And it is quite far fetched, even by its own standards. Shame.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I also wondered at the point of doing these four episodes - at all. It does seem to just get cut off with barely any conclusion. And it is quite far fetched, even by its own standards. Shame.

It seems really odd especially given the fact season 2 felt like it was deliberately setting up season 3. I also thought this was a big hit for Sky atlantic so I thought they'd champion it and want more (at least a concluding season wrapping things up). Maybe despite its success it was simply too expensive for them and they get more value for money simply buying HBO distribution rights. It's a shame though. Hopefully Richard Dormer will turn up elsewhere as he has an intense presence.

Finished the two part binging of You. 

Superb acting, ridiculous plot, weak character building, no touch whatsoever with reality. It was like a 6 or 6.5 if I want to give it credit for keeping me interested in how it will all end. 

Spoiler

I won’t go into too much detail about every plot line, so let’s just focus on the end game. 

Are you telling me that the shop is wide open with no Ethan to attend it while Joe is downstairs? Or if the shop was closed how did Paco get in?  But okay, that’s what it is. And okay, she wrote that story about the therapist. But how did Joe get John Stamos’s DNA on the box? Or did they not do forensics there at all? And wouldn’t John Stamos deny this whole thing? And did nobody find a trace of Joe DNA in Peach’s house? What happened to the local cop who saw him and has his number plate? Wouldn’t he be interviewed by the PI at least as local authorities after peach’s death? And the most burning question of all: HOW did John Stamos not see through Joe? Or how did he at least not connect Paul’s story and Beck’s story? I mean they completely mirror each other. How did a trained psychologist not see through that? 

And how did benji’s rich and powerful family just let Benji’s disappearance go? I thought he was gonna be smart about it and OD him, so his body just needed up be dumped somewhere. But no, he carried it around and disposed of it. HOW did nobody go looking for that guy? 

And the whole Candace business is a cheap trick to leave an open door for season 2. 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I did too, way more than I expected to.  Same with Little Drummer Girl.  I guess I'm a sucker for these Le Carre adaptations on AMC.  More please.  

I'd only seen Hiddleston as Loki prior to seeing Night Manager and enjoyed seeing him in a different type of role and the series overall.

Been rewatching Entourage - in S8 now and still really wish they had gone a different direction in S7 with the addiction arc.

The Dragon Prince S2 comes out on 2/15 so will need to do an 11th or so rewatch of S1.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I really enjoyed Night Manager :(

It’s been a few years since so I don’t recall all of my complaints... but I do remember my biggest one being that everything just happened to fall into Hiddleston’s lap constantly. To the point that it was ridiculous and annoyed me. I think I just expected a lot more too.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You haven't seen Peep Show???

I have not. Will put it on my list.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s been a few years since so I don’t recall all of my complaints... but I do remember my biggest one being that everything just happened to fall into Hiddleston’s lap constantly. To the point that it was ridiculous and annoyed me. I think I just expected a lot more too.

I have not. Will put it on my list.

I don't disagree with those complaints at all really. The ending of the show kind of rolled itself up too easily. However, I really enjoyed all the performances and it was a show that managed to end on a satisfying note, which tends to be a bit of a rarity on tv today.

45 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Really struggling to get through Birdbox! Why is this so popular?!

The first 25 minutes I was thinking "I can't really take this seriously" but it gets better and I started to buy into it shortly after the blind driving.

I've just binged "big little lies" since it came back onto a streaming platform I use - no doubt to promote the upcoming season. I really enjoyed it - excellent acting throughout and I was impressed by how much of a stamp the director puts on the show - given he directed "Sharp objects" too and it's obvious despite having different showrunners. I guess in film Directors make more of a stamp on the product and it's really started to show in high-end TV projects these days. I'm a little cautious about the second season given he's not directing and it's presumably going into uncharted territory story-wise.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I have no idea, really.

Honestly it was substandard in so many ways. As someone who loves a good apocalypse story this one really didn’t hit me at all.

My main issue with it I think, more than anything , is it’s structure. If the movie wants me to care about her issues as a mother and the relationship, or lack of, with her kids, why did it waste so much of my time in flash back mode to before they were born? 

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I've just binged "big little lies" since it came back onto a streaming platform I use - no doubt to promote the upcoming season. I really enjoyed it - excellent acting throughout and I was impressed by how much of a stamp the director puts on the show - given he directed "Sharp objects" too and it's obvious despite having different showrunners. I guess in film Directors make more of a stamp on the product and it's really started to show in high-end TV projects these days. I'm a little cautious about the second season given he's not directing and it's presumably going into uncharted territory story-wise.

I thought it was very good as well, the scenes with Kidman and her therapist were particularly intense. I'm also a bit cautious about the second season since it didn't feel like a story that necessarily needed a sequel, but I'll definitely give it a chance.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Been binging the hell out of season 2 of Chuck this past week.  It's cracking me up just as much as it did way back 10 years ago.  Can't believe it's this old already.

My wife and i are about a third through season 4. Her first time, my second.  I really enjoyed season 2 when i first saw it, as I was lukewarm with season 1. I preferred how they largely separated Chuck from the BuyMore storyline

Archived