Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Been binging the hell out of season 2 of Chuck this past week.  It's cracking me up just as much as it did way back 10 years ago.  Can't believe it's this old already.

My wife and I watched it a year or two ago because she had never seen it and he’s just as good as I remembered. Still one of my all time favorites. My wife wanted a Jeffster t-shirt.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:11 PM, Triskele said:

I did too, way more than I expected to.  Same with Little Drummer Girl.  I guess I'm a sucker for these Le Carre adaptations on AMC.  More please.  

Little Drummer Girl was fantastic. Florence Pugh is a star and the show wouldn’t have had a chance without her. Also gorgeously shot. Highly recommended for any who hasn’t seen it.

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

My wife and I watched it a year or two ago because she had never seen it and he’s just as good as I remembered. Still one of my all time favorites. My wife wanted a Jeffster t-shirt.

Little Drummer Girl was fantastic. Florence Pugh is a star and the show wouldn’t have had a chance without her. Also gorgeously shot. Highly recommended for any who hasn’t seen it.

Epic fail on my part (or bbc iPlayer interface) in that i thought i was watching episode 1 only to discover after watching i had watched the finale! Which is a shame as i was drawn in despite thinking a lot had been left out. Some really nice camera work in it. Just seems a bit pointless watching the previous episodes now.

37 minutes ago, Mexal said:

She was fantastic in the show and a future star I'm guessing. I found Little Drummer Girl to be pretty underwhelming however. Possibly I found the whole concept a little odd and unbelievable, but actually it just really dragged for me in the middle and I didn't find the end all that satisfying. 

Plus, I spotted a couple of London buildings that only existed from the 90s onwards in some of the shots.. which annoyed me! :) 

16 hours ago, red snow said:

I've just binged "big little lies" since it came back onto a streaming platform I use - no doubt to promote the upcoming season. I really enjoyed it - excellent acting throughout and I was impressed by how much of a stamp the director puts on the show - given he directed "Sharp objects" too and it's obvious despite having different showrunners. I guess in film Directors make more of a stamp on the product and it's really started to show in high-end TV projects these days. I'm a little cautious about the second season given he's not directing and it's presumably going into uncharted territory story-wise.

I just started watching it too! Like you, I was waiting for it to come back so that I could watch it. I read the book a year ago and whilst it's a page-turner I was wondering how much depth the story and characters would have in a screen adaptation. But much the same as for Sharp Objects, the show improves on the book. 

14 minutes ago, Isis said:

I just started watching it too! Like you, I was waiting for it to come back so that I could watch it. I read the book a year ago and whilst it's a page-turner I was wondering how much depth the story and characters would have in a screen adaptation. But much the same as for Sharp Objects, the show improves on the book. 

Why does nowtv/sky randomly take shows off for a while?

I think it's clear the director puts a stamp on both shows to the point i'd say sharp objects has more in common with BLL than gone girl. 

Got a bunch of stuff like Little Drummer Girl recorded but not finding time to watch it - with a colicy/refluxy baby, we tend to watch shorter stuff requiring little attention.

Got last 6 eps of Nikita, last 2 eps of House of cards (downhill since season 2) to finish. Also just started season 2 of White Collar.

Also watching the Arrowverse, Supernatural, Gotham, Lucifer, Agents of Shield and the Marvel netflix shows, on and off.

I watched two comedies this weekend, one old and one new. The first one was Crazy Rich Asians. It was a perfectly fine movie, but the only thing that's memorable about it is the mostly Asian cast. It's pretty run by the numbers which sucks, because I think there's a lot more they could have played with there, but I get why they took a safer route. I'd recommend it while also saying I'll probably never watch it again unless some lady I'm with wants to see it.

The second movie I saw was Death Becomes Her. It's nothing short of fantastic. It didn't have a ton of points that made me bust out laughing until the end, but I had a grin on my face the entire time. Great acting and timing, excellent story and it really hit on a ton of themes. Hell, even the terrible CGI was kind of funny. I cannot recommend this movie enough. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched two comedies this weekend, one old and one new. The first one was Crazy Rich Asians. It was a perfectly fine movie, but the only thing that's memorable about it is the mostly Asian cast. It's pretty run by the numbers which sucks, because I think there's a lot more they could have played with there, but I get why they took a safer route. I'd recommend it while also saying I'll probably never watch it again unless some lady I'm with wants to see it.

The second movie I saw was Death Becomes Her. It's nothing short of fantastic. It didn't have a ton of points that made me bust out laughing until the end, but I had a grin on my face the entire time. Great acting and timing, excellent story and it really hit on a ton of themes. Hell, even the terrible CGI was kind of funny. I cannot recommend this movie enough. 

How have you gone so long without having watched Death Becomes Her?! I watch it every time I see it on TV and laugh each time, just so brilliant. The last line always elicits a snort - do you remember where we parked the car?

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How have you gone so long without having watched Death Becomes Her?! I watch it every time I see it on TV and laugh each time, just so brilliant. The last line always elicits a snort - do you remember where we parked the car?

Honestly I had never even heard of it before. I was watching a YouTube video about overlooked comedies and it was high on their list so I figured why not.

Rewatched Apocolypse Now for the first time in years.  It's as though I'd never seen it before.  With exception of Dennis Hopper's character, it probably could be absolutely today, though of course it wouldn't be jungles but deserts mostly. 

What it took to create that film from production to release is more than I can even imagine, though all of it is up there on the screen for our eyes to see.  It deserves its continuing reputation as a great film.

However, it was disconcerting realizing I'm watching Martin Sheen, who, now, for me is now half of the gay couple in the terrific Netflix Original comedy Grace and Frankie (one of the very few Netflix Originals I watch / watched, and one of the few comedies I watch).  Also a baby-faced Harrison Ford . . . .

Finally saw Crazy Rich Asians. Good god that movie was shit. I would have fucking loved if they'd stayed with the college roommate's (or whatever she was) family for the entire movie. They were great. Everything else was shit. Everything.

Saw If Beale Street Could Talk last night. Another fucking masterpiece by Barry Jenkins. Better than Moonlight IMO.

The Death of Stalin was about the blackest black comedy I've seen that could still get genuine belly-laughs out of me.

I enjoyed Vice, but it wasn't anything special. Kind of heavy-handed tbh.

There's a long post forthcoming about The House that Jack Built. God fucking damn...

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I had never even heard of it before. I was watching a YouTube video about overlooked comedies and it was high on their list so I figured why not.

Forget Sophie’s Choice, this was the pinnacle of Streep’s career

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

What it took to create that film from production to release is more than I can even imagine, though all of it is up there on the screen for our eyes to see.  It deserves its continuing reputation as a great film.

The stories from that shoot are insane. Several of the actors were on the brink, and it shows in the film.

47 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Forget Sophie’s Choice, this was the pinnacle of Streep’s career

Lol, I have seen that Streep movie either.

And the correct answer is The Deer Hunter.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The stories from that shoot are insane. Several of the actors were on the brink, and it shows in the film.

Whenever I think of Apocalypse now I think of the helicopter and the horizon scene, which immediately now is switched to the Tie fighters scene from The Force Awakens....cuz I am a Star Wars nerd.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Whenever I think of Apocalypse now I think of the helicopter and the horizon scene, which immediately now is switched to the Tie fighters scene from The Force Awakens....cuz I am a Star Wars nerd.

Wait, what song is playing in the background when you watch it?

8 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, baby Harrison Ford ....

Also, well, those ubiquitous helicopters throughout Apocalypse Now -- they truly look both like vicious swarms of insects that going devour all your food crossed with insectoid alien invasions -- really terrifying.  And the people within them do wreak terrifying, cruel, havoc and massacre.  But ya know, wot da hell -- a guy's gotta surf, you know?

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Apocolypse Now song of course! That image was my screen saver for a long time

The final battle in Rogue One is where I am reminded of Apocalypse Now, the beach landing sequence with the cavalry primarily. It doesn't hurt that the transport ships are U-Wings (Hueys).

Archived