Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

I watched the first episode of The Passage, a new series on FOX based on Justin Cronin's trilogy of the same name.  I was excited about this as I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and it didn't disappoint.  The two main actors did a good job, but I also felt that too much information was smashed into 44 minutes of material.  I'm guessing that anyone who didn't read the book first would be overwhelmed. 

16 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched the first episode of The Passage, a new series on FOX based on Justin Cronin's trilogy of the same name.  I was excited about this as I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and it didn't disappoint.  The two main actors did a good job, but I also felt that too much information was smashed into 44 minutes of material.  I'm guessing that anyone who didn't read the book first would be overwhelmed. 

We're gonna test this theory tonight. I will report back. :)

3 hours ago, Isis said:

We're gonna test this theory tonight. I will report back. :)

Is it on fox in uk?

I've read reviews and i think the mistake they are making is with how they tell the story

i'd have the future story happening in conjunction with the past. It's too much of a gamble with a tv show aired weekly to do the whole "and now it's 100 years later in apocalypse land". People may quit the show who'd enjoy the post apocalyptic story while those who like the present may be driven away by the complete change in show. Worse, the entire season may be set in the present

It's like they forget that once someone buys a book they have the whole thing. It doesn't matter if they only read half of it. Whereas tv shows need consistent ratings and people dropping out damages that.

The reviews i've seen suggest people who haven't read the book are enjoying more but dull is mentioned by a lot of people

11 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

we threw Project Blue Book into our rotation.... watching episode 2 as i type this.... all I'll say is that its Aiden Gillan's least annoying role so far....lol

After two episodes of this I may be bailing. Other than it being based on real stories, I find myself completely uninterested in even the extraterrestrial/UFO aspects of the series. When Aiden Gillian is the best aspect of the show, you know you're in trouble. I realize the actual Project Blue Book inspired Chris Carter to make X-Files, but this series is seeming like a really bad imitation of the X-Files with the film Carol spliced in. Maybe I'll just do a rewatch of Amazing Stories.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Is it on fox in uk?

I've read reviews and i think the mistake they are making is with how they tell the story

Reveal hidden contents

Yep. Aired Tuesday. I'm watching now. And I'm NOT impressed with the rubbish science right off the bat. 

ETA: well, bad science aside, it wasn't bad. Not too complex for a non reader to understand. Pretty simple really. 

44 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yep. Aired Tuesday. I'm watching now. And I'm NOT impressed with the rubbish science right off the bat. 

ETA: well, bad science aside, it wasn't bad. Not too complex for a non reader to understand. Pretty simple really. 

I searched for it a day too soon!

On 1/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

There's a long post forthcoming about The House that Jack Built. God fucking damn...

I’m intrigued to see what you say about this. I haven’t watched it yet.

I saw the new Suspiria yesterday and I guess I liked it. It had some weird ass choices(Thom Yorke’s vocals over some scenes) and was over 2.5 hours long but it ended with an obnoxious bang. It kinda drags a few times, and could’ve easily been edited down a good 15-20 minutes, but I was engaged for the most part. I don’t really remember the original so I don’t know how close the script was to that either. 

Spoiler

So Tilda Swinton played the old guy too(and Markos)!? Crazy. A few scenes early on I thought he might be a younger actor in makeup but absolutely did not know it was Tilda. 

The ending was so over-the-top and outrageous but I liked it. I’m thinking that she has Markos, and all of her followers, killed because she was supposedly claiming to be Mother Suspiriorum. Markos reminded me of one of the witches from The Witcher 3 too.

I guess Susie had Mother S in her her whole life too since it showed her obsessed with going to Berlin since childhood... assuming she had to actually go there to complete the ritual. It seems pretty straightforward but I’m gonna go read about other interpretations and general thoughts.

44 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m intrigued to see what you say about this. I haven’t watched it yet.

I saw the new Suspiria yesterday and I guess I liked it. It had some weird ass choices(Thom Yorke’s vocals over some scenes) and was over 2.5 hours long but it ended with an obnoxious bang. It kinda drags a few times, and could’ve easily been edited down a good 15-20 minutes, but I was engaged for the most part. I don’t really remember the original so I don’t know how close the script was to that either. 

Reveal hidden contents

So Tilda Swinton played the old guy too(and Markos)!? Crazy. A few scenes early on I thought he might be a younger actor in makeup but absolutely did not know it was Tilda. 

The ending was so over-the-top and outrageous but I liked it. I’m thinking that she has Markos, and all of her followers, killed because she was supposedly claiming to be Mother Suspiriorum. Markos reminded me of one of the witches from The Witcher 3 too.

I guess Susie had Mother S in her her whole life too since it showed her obsessed with going to Berlin since childhood... assuming she had to actually go there to complete the ritual. It seems pretty straightforward but I’m gonna go read about other interpretations and general thoughts.

Still need to see this. Love the original (anything by Dario Argento really). The music is my favorite part of the one from 1977. How was it in the remake? 

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Still need to see this. Love the original (anything by Dario Argento really). The music is my favorite part of the one from 1977. How was it in the remake? 

It was pretty good. They obviously chose to go a very different route than the original by getting Thom Yorke, but it was haunting and fit the movie. 

There is one major scene at the end where Yorke’s vocals are deliberately blaring and is kind of at odds with the scene... but it works in a sick and twisted way. The last half hour of this is pretty wild. 

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Is there a thread on You?  I am not angling that there be one, mind you.  I'm on E8 and am just fascinating by what everyone else is fascinated about.  This is a very difficult show to categorize.  

This could be the post which tips me over the edge to watch this.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

Is there a thread on You?  I am not angling that there be one, mind you.  I'm on E8 and am just fascinating by what everyone else is fascinated about.  This is a very difficult show to categorize.  

Here you go.

The ending changed my opinion of You. It didn't really go were I was expecting it to.

13 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Been watching The IT Crowd on netflix...  Do people like this show?  I thought people did, but it isn't as good as the hype for it.  It's just a bunch of Oh Look! NERDSSSSS!!! jokes.

I'm disabled.

I watched Black Museum and Shut up and Dance from Black Mirror last night. I enjoyed both. I thought Dance was great and entertaining all the way through. Black Museum was good, and had amazing/scary ideas, but I found myself getting a little bored at times. The ending was cool.

RE: Cutting the cords. I checked out the Hulu w/ Live TV options today, and gotta say, I was impressed with the channels they have in my area. For sports, they have pretty much all ESPN channels, Big 10, SEC, FS1 & 2, NBCSN. They have all the Turner channels for movies. Also, FX, FXX, SyFy, etc. Has me seriously considering axing off cable. Only thing that has kept me was the sports, and looks like that is now covered. I also have Netflix and Amazon so I feel like I'm covered on all fronts. Anyone have Hulu w/ Live TV? Thoughts? 

I hardly ever watch TV anymore. Cut the cable long ago, now even my Netflix and Amazon lay dormant for the most part. I simply am not an episodic TV kind of watcher anymore. I don't really follow what shows are trending, unless I hear about something second-hand through my bar customer chatter, facebook, or sites like this.

So I have no idea why the hell I got hooked on Lucifer on Netflix (just finished the first season). It's corny as all get out, but I love shows with the framework of "Okay, it's Matlock, only this time he's a ____ !" Heck, I can watch Psych and be totally content and that show is eye-rollingly schlocky sometimes. I don't recall hearing chatter about Lucifer other than vaguely remember it being a show that maybe people liked, that may have been cancelled and/or renewed.

Upon looking it up, I was very surprised I'd not heard of it - I love Neil Gaiman, damnit! For a decade,  The Sandman has been on my list of things I keep meaning to dive completely into, despite my general malaise when it comes to reading comics. Anyways, it'll be nice to cruise through knowing people continued to enjoy it. For now I will enjoy ridiculously beautiful people solving paint-by-numbers whodunits, with the occasional bargain barrel fight scene or CGI.

Archived