Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Too bad Sarah Ann couldn't answer that doctor question, huh?

Tonight's was pretty meh. Middle Guy seemed like he was having problems with the clicker, and the final question was pointless because the guy on the far right was so far ahead that none of them could catch up. 

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Been watching The IT Crowd on netflix...  Do people like this show?  I thought people did, but it isn't as good as the hype for it.  It's just a bunch of Oh Look! NERDSSSSS!!! jokes.

Moss has some good lines (and steals the show) but otherwise it’s nothing great.  I would have found it funnier when I was a teenager subsisting on Channel 4 and BBC 2 alternative comedy. 

Half way through S1 of Lodge 49. Watched it due to good reviews and it hasn't disappointed me at all. 

I had no idea what to expect, but it manages to capture the post crash economy and how it has affected people perfectly, almost every fibre of its being shows you the desperation that an economic crash can bring. But at the same time the show is not depressing or grim, mainly due to the main characters who are so charming and fun to watch.

I also really have no idea where the show is going, or what its aiming to be, which can be offputting for some I imagine, but not for me. 

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

My wife and I have been watching Sex Education on Netflix. It's brilliant so far. Highly recommended. Here is Sepinwall's review for anyone interested.

It's pretty odd. For something that's supposedly set in the modern day UK it has a very 1980s American feel to it (apparently deliberately but it's still a bit weird) amongst other things but I still quite liked it.

Derry Girls, Veltigar's find, is written about with high praise here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/19/derry-girls-the-northern-irish-sitcom-that-captures-teenage-girlhood-no-matter-where-you-live

It's particularly good that the writer includes this:

And a side of politics too: it portrays the reality of life in Northern Ireland at the time. The Troubles are ever-present, with military blockades creating traffic problems, constant protests threatening to turn violent and the girls debating whether they’d shag an English soldier, enemy number one. Says Michelle (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell), the show’s vixen-in-training: “Ach, some of them are rides. I’m willin’ to admit it, even if nobody else will because I’m a beacon of truth.”

On 1/17/2019 at 6:23 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

I watched Black Museum and Shut up and Dance from Black Mirror last night. I enjoyed both. I thought Dance was great and entertaining all the way through. Black Museum was good, and had amazing/scary ideas, but I found myself getting a little bored at times. The ending was cool.

RE: Cutting the cords. I checked out the Hulu w/ Live TV options today, and gotta say, I was impressed with the channels they have in my area. For sports, they have pretty much all ESPN channels, Big 10, SEC, FS1 & 2, NBCSN. They have all the Turner channels for movies. Also, FX, FXX, SyFy, etc. Has me seriously considering axing off cable. Only thing that has kept me was the sports, and looks like that is now covered. I also have Netflix and Amazon so I feel like I'm covered on all fronts. Anyone have Hulu w/ Live TV? Thoughts? 

There is a thread here about it and I believe it's called, cutting the cord (not that one)

It has a lot of good info in it.

Started watching S3 of Travelers, pretty good for a scifi show, I like most of the characters and actors so it's a good watching experience for me, couple episodes left.

Also started S1 of Jack Ryan. You can see that there was a high dollar amount spent making this right from the get go. Only 2 episodes in so can't speak to it too much yet.

I'm about 3 years behind but I've just started watching Making a Murderer. I'm about halfway through and so far I think it's possible Avery did kill Teresa Halbach but, bloody hell, it's horrendous some of the stuff law enforcement and the prosecution have done.

16 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm about 3 years behind but I've just started watching Making a Murderer. I'm about halfway through and so far I think it's possible Avery did kill Teresa Halbach but, bloody hell, it's horrendous some of the stuff law enforcement and the prosecution have done.

Yep. My professional opinion was he did it, and they definitely fitted him up as well, just to be sure. 

Watched Edgar Reitz's Heimat prequel Home from Home last week - it was on the BBC IPlayer. Found it deeply moving. Some of my own ancestors left Germany at around the same time in the middle of the nineteenth century, though they didn't make it anywhere nearly as exciting as Brazil. Particularly enjoyed the director cameos of Werner Herzog as Alexander von Humboldt and Edgar Reitz as (I didn't recognise him at the time) an ancient peasant sitting in a field. 

Since watching the original Heimat in my late teens, I've been periodically muttering to myself "In heaven they speak Hunsrückisch." It was lovely to go back to Schabbach and see familiar faces in different roles, plus the trademark use of a black-and-white colour palette with sudden highlights - blue-painted flowers on a crumbling wall, red sparks in the smithy. 

Half way through season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Rachel Brosnahan is great and I'm glad she and Aled Borstein got Emmys last year, and both deserve to be nominated again this year, but this season the supporting cast is absolutely killing it!!! Borstein is better this season than last. Kevin Pollack and Caroline Aaron as the in law parents, Miriam's brother and his wife, Miriam's mom Rose (who I was pretty apathetic towards as a character last season I've really grown to love) all have some really funny scenes. But most of all the great Tony Shaloub! He needs to not just be nominated this year but win! Shaloub just can't stop being good in everything he does but he's outdone himself this season with the character of Abe.

Spoiler

In the Yom Kippur episode I was cracking up with Miriam trying to explain stand up comedy to Moishe and him just not getting it. Moishe who is being played by the hilarious Kevin Pollack who is a great stand up!

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Started the new season of grace and frankie. My god RuRaul is a guest (in the first episode at least, dunno if he will be recurring) and the scene is just spectacular :lol:

Ya, ain't it just though! I binged on Grace and Frankie last night -- the eps are short enough -- so I'm about half through it.  I laughed many times. Not much tv can get me to do that . . . .

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched the first episode of The Passage, a new series on FOX based on Justin Cronin's trilogy of the same name.  I was excited about this as I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and it didn't disappoint.  The two main actors did a good job, but I also felt that too much information was smashed into 44 minutes of material.  I'm guessing that anyone who didn't read the book first would be overwhelmed. 

I watched this last night and I'm actually pretty excited about where this goes now. I was slightly worried about the casting of Wolghast (mainly because I had the mental image of Michael Shannon in my head when reading) but the actor really won me over and the chemistry between him and Amy works really well and as I was watching I realised how VITAL it was they got that chemistry right because it could very easily have come off super creepy (it never crossed my mind in the books because I knew what Wolghast was thinking. It was also fun to see all the characters in place from the start knowing how some of them will have much bigger roles as it goes along. Still - I'm concerned the show is taking a major risk on their telling of the story but it'll be pretty cool to see them pull of the act 2 switch if the show catches on. My fear is they'll chicken out.

The underwhelming use of Fleetwood Mac's the chain was unforgiveable. That song should enhance any TV/film show it's put in see GOTG2 and The Americans as prime examples but it's use here fell flat - maybe because it was muted and playing within the show?

With these shows it's always hard to separate "do I like it because I like the books or does it stand on its own". But several of my friends who haven't read the book were intrigued by the pilot. They all enjoy Walking Dead  and some of them even watched "the strain" so I guess this show doesn't need to be that great to have a following :)

Archived