Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Strange is also supposed to be precisely the kind of guy who defends against Thanos like threats, and he has one of the two stones. Vision was also a pretty important piece, and for the sole reason that he had the stone. Strange is also one of the most powerful beings on the planet, right up there with Thor, and can fight gods by himself. It would be weird not to have him front and center. 

Plus I think the creative team rightly identified that Strange and Stark going off of each other would be pretty hilarious. 

I'd imagine Strange will be the leader of the next wave of Avengers.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'd imagine Strange will be the leader of the next wave of Avengers.

I hope not.  His typical type of threat is very different than that of the Avengers.  I'm also not the biggest Cumberbatch fan.

1 minute ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I hope not.  His typical type of threat is very different than that of the Avengers.  I'm also not the biggest Cumberbatch fan.

Is it?  Strange is like Thor in that he's so powerful that his average villain is more along the lines of an Avengers villain in raw power than guys like Spider-Man fight in their stand-alone movies.  Spidey's last antagonist owned a fucking scrap yard and was just a dude.

The power level is the same as the Avengers, but the nature of the threat tends to be very different. How would the Avengers handle Dormammu, for instance? They aren't remotely equipped for it. What they do is face strong foes and beat them - invasions, Titans, that sort of thing. But metaphysical and magical foes? Foes that attack the nature of reality? No, that's not what avengers do, typically. They don't get weird. They have Kang and Red Skull and Skrulls and Hydra and Asgardian invasions - but not Mordo or Dormammu. 

And Strange, as they show in the film, isn't really a leader or a follower. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Neither was Iron Man early on.  Characters develop.

Sure, they do. Iron Man, however, has had a history in the comics of working with others; Strange has a habit of almost always pissing everyone off for various reasons. He could go a different way, but I don't see that happening. And given that Endgame will likely reset everything and he's currently a slightly egotistical vacuum bag right now, I don't see it as likely. 

If someone is going to take over the Avengers from the current group, it'll likely be T'Challah, simply due to the popularity of the character. 

I'd fallen a bit behind with the Marvel Netflix shows, so I've just finished the second (and final) season of Luke Cage. I thought it was more consistent than the first season, but it didn't feel like there was enough story there to justify thirteen episodes and it was fairly slow-paced. At least they had better villains than Diamondback in season 1, I thought Mustafa Shakir was good as Bushmaster, and the setup of him trying to bring down Maria while Luke tried to bring them both down did change the dynamic a bit from the first season. It was a bit reminiscent of season 2 of Daredevil (except with fewer ninjas), since Bushmaster's quest for vengeance has some similarities to Frank Castle's, even if he is willing to go a bit further. I also liked Misty Knight in this, and the cameos from other Netlifx shows, even if Claire wasn't given much to do this time. I think it came to a reasonable ending, although they were clearly intending to make more.

Overall, I think Luke Cage managed to portray its surroundings better than any of the other Marvel shows and did a great job of integrating music into the show, and it had a likeable cast of characters and some good actors but the scripts often didn't make the best use of them.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Yeah, I very much enjoyed this.  I also have to confess that Pratt really made me laugh a few times, and it makes me want to see those GotG movies now which is making me feel like a fool since, not being a big comic book movie guy, I thought it always looked too silly (Groot, Raccoon, etc...).  

Pratt was great in Infinity War.

"You know Thor?"

"Yeah.  Tall guy, not that good looking."

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Just did another film I'm way late to which was Split.  Partly because I'd been reminded that Glass is coming out.  Quite the performance(s) from McAvoy there.  

They seem to really be going all out on advertising for Glass. I can't seem to get through 3 songs on YouTube, or 2 commercials on Hulu without a Glass trailer.

Saw Birdbox and I have some feelings about it. 

I wish they'd done the Gary storyline a bit more justice. The film was two hours long so I think they could have spent more time on the conflict in the group re allowing him in, they way he divides the group and also how Mallory never finds out what happens to him - so that even years later as she almost finds the school for the blind she is still scared that Gary is following her. I think that was done really well in the book. 

They also don't really go into why Gary was able to look at the creatures and survive (in the film).

Overall I thought it was decent. I'm not a book purist. But I just felt they could have upped the tension with Gary.

Decided to give The Magicians another go. I only made it through the first four episodes before moving on last time. I started season 1 yesterday afternoon and I'm now at season 2 episode 4. I'll keep with it to get current for the new season. 

Initially I could not stand whiny Quentin though Jason Ralph is super adorable. I read an article regarding S1 which made me reconsider. They aged the characters up for tv but still retained the 17 year old angst which drove me away. But (I never read the books) it also pointed out that the books range through to their 30's so with that in mind I ventured in again.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Saw Birdbox and I have some feelings about it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I wish they'd done the Gary storyline a bit more justice. The film was two hours long so I think they could have spent more time on the conflict in the group re allowing him in, they way he divides the group and also how Mallory never finds out what happens to him - so that even years later as she almost finds the school for the blind she is still scared that Gary is following her. I think that was done really well in the book. 

They also don't really go into why Gary was able to look at the creatures and survive (in the film).

Overall I thought it was decent. I'm not a book purist. But I just felt they could have upped the tension with Gary.

I finished this today, and while a lot of it was very far fetched it was decent. I was wondering if it was based on a book so that’s good to hear it was. I might check it out now. 

Spoiler

Going down a river with kids and blindfolded would be near impossible I would imagine, but whatever.  

I finally watched Mandy and really liked it. This was a role absolutely made for Nick Cage. I was actually kinda disappointed he’s a little more subdued than I thought he would be... but the movie does pretty wild and trippy at times, in a good way. One segment was straight out of a Nine Inch Nails video.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Currently watching You and A Series of Unfortunate Events, both of Which I’m loving

We started S3 last night. We love it. So whimsical yet so many genuinely hilarious moments. 

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I finished this today, and while a lot of it was very far fetched it was decent. I was wondering if it was based on a book so that’s good to hear it was. I might check it out now. 

Hide contents

I thought the book was very good. Easily in my top ten (of 70) in 2018.

I expect that the future Avenger arcs will focus on crossovers with the X-Men (Onslaught arc?) and Fantastic Four (Galactus arc?). Might explain why Disney spent so much money getting those rights from Fox.

Plus, there aren't too many enemies more badass than Thanos, so I expect they will want to ramp up the power level of the next big baddie.

I am hoping for Onslaught saga, as it crosses Fantastic Four, X-Men and Cable (and Deadpool) and could fit quite nicely.

On other news, just finished watching The Dragon Prince and the latest season of The Good Place, both of which was excellent! Starting on the latest season of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

We started S3 last night. We love it. So whimsical yet so many genuinely hilarious moments. 

I thought the book was very good. Easily in my top ten (of 70) in 2018.

Did our ever read the books? I’m really impressed with how faithfully they have captured the tone and style. Really like the actors for Violet and Klaus too.

Archived