Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

I watched two comedies this weekend, one old and one new. The first one was Crazy Rich Asians. It was a perfectly fine movie, but the only thing that's memorable about it is the mostly Asian cast. It's pretty run by the numbers which sucks, because I think there's a lot more they could have played with there, but I get why they took a safer route. I'd recommend it while also saying I'll probably never watch it again unless some lady I'm with wants to see it.

The second movie I saw was Death Becomes Her. It's nothing short of fantastic. It didn't have a ton of points that made me bust out laughing until the end, but I had a grin on my face the entire time. Great acting and timing, excellent story and it really hit on a ton of themes. Hell, even the terrible CGI was kind of funny. I cannot recommend this movie enough. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched two comedies this weekend, one old and one new. The first one was Crazy Rich Asians. It was a perfectly fine movie, but the only thing that's memorable about it is the mostly Asian cast. It's pretty run by the numbers which sucks, because I think there's a lot more they could have played with there, but I get why they took a safer route. I'd recommend it while also saying I'll probably never watch it again unless some lady I'm with wants to see it.

The second movie I saw was Death Becomes Her. It's nothing short of fantastic. It didn't have a ton of points that made me bust out laughing until the end, but I had a grin on my face the entire time. Great acting and timing, excellent story and it really hit on a ton of themes. Hell, even the terrible CGI was kind of funny. I cannot recommend this movie enough. 

How have you gone so long without having watched Death Becomes Her?! I watch it every time I see it on TV and laugh each time, just so brilliant. The last line always elicits a snort - do you remember where we parked the car?

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How have you gone so long without having watched Death Becomes Her?! I watch it every time I see it on TV and laugh each time, just so brilliant. The last line always elicits a snort - do you remember where we parked the car?

Honestly I had never even heard of it before. I was watching a YouTube video about overlooked comedies and it was high on their list so I figured why not.

Rewatched Apocolypse Now for the first time in years.  It's as though I'd never seen it before.  With exception of Dennis Hopper's character, it probably could be absolutely today, though of course it wouldn't be jungles but deserts mostly. 

What it took to create that film from production to release is more than I can even imagine, though all of it is up there on the screen for our eyes to see.  It deserves its continuing reputation as a great film.

However, it was disconcerting realizing I'm watching Martin Sheen, who, now, for me is now half of the gay couple in the terrific Netflix Original comedy Grace and Frankie (one of the very few Netflix Originals I watch / watched, and one of the few comedies I watch).  Also a baby-faced Harrison Ford . . . .

Finally saw Crazy Rich Asians. Good god that movie was shit. I would have fucking loved if they'd stayed with the college roommate's (or whatever she was) family for the entire movie. They were great. Everything else was shit. Everything.

Saw If Beale Street Could Talk last night. Another fucking masterpiece by Barry Jenkins. Better than Moonlight IMO.

The Death of Stalin was about the blackest black comedy I've seen that could still get genuine belly-laughs out of me.

I enjoyed Vice, but it wasn't anything special. Kind of heavy-handed tbh.

There's a long post forthcoming about The House that Jack Built. God fucking damn...

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I had never even heard of it before. I was watching a YouTube video about overlooked comedies and it was high on their list so I figured why not.

Forget Sophie’s Choice, this was the pinnacle of Streep’s career

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

What it took to create that film from production to release is more than I can even imagine, though all of it is up there on the screen for our eyes to see.  It deserves its continuing reputation as a great film.

The stories from that shoot are insane. Several of the actors were on the brink, and it shows in the film.

47 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Forget Sophie’s Choice, this was the pinnacle of Streep’s career

Lol, I have seen that Streep movie either.

And the correct answer is The Deer Hunter.

we threw Project Blue Book into our rotation.... watching episode 2 as i type this.... all I'll say is that its Aiden Gillan's least annoying role so far....lol

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The stories from that shoot are insane. Several of the actors were on the brink, and it shows in the film.

Whenever I think of Apocalypse now I think of the helicopter and the horizon scene, which immediately now is switched to the Tie fighters scene from The Force Awakens....cuz I am a Star Wars nerd.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Whenever I think of Apocalypse now I think of the helicopter and the horizon scene, which immediately now is switched to the Tie fighters scene from The Force Awakens....cuz I am a Star Wars nerd.

Wait, what song is playing in the background when you watch it?

Apocolypse Now song of course! That image was my screen saver for a long time

8 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, baby Harrison Ford ....

Also, well, those ubiquitous helicopters throughout Apocalypse Now -- they truly look both like vicious swarms of insects that going devour all your food crossed with insectoid alien invasions -- really terrifying.  And the people within them do wreak terrifying, cruel, havoc and massacre.  But ya know, wot da hell -- a guy's gotta surf, you know?

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And the correct answer is The Deer Hunter.

Finally agree with you on something movie related. :P

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Apocolypse Now song of course! That image was my screen saver for a long time

The final battle in Rogue One is where I am reminded of Apocalypse Now, the beach landing sequence with the cavalry primarily. It doesn't hurt that the transport ships are U-Wings (Hueys).

Edited by Astromech

I watched the first episode of The Passage, a new series on FOX based on Justin Cronin's trilogy of the same name.  I was excited about this as I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and it didn't disappoint.  The two main actors did a good job, but I also felt that too much information was smashed into 44 minutes of material.  I'm guessing that anyone who didn't read the book first would be overwhelmed. 

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

16 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched the first episode of The Passage, a new series on FOX based on Justin Cronin's trilogy of the same name.  I was excited about this as I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and it didn't disappoint.  The two main actors did a good job, but I also felt that too much information was smashed into 44 minutes of material.  I'm guessing that anyone who didn't read the book first would be overwhelmed. 

We're gonna test this theory tonight. I will report back. :)

3 hours ago, Isis said:

We're gonna test this theory tonight. I will report back. :)

Is it on fox in uk?

I've read reviews and i think the mistake they are making is with how they tell the story

i'd have the future story happening in conjunction with the past. It's too much of a gamble with a tv show aired weekly to do the whole "and now it's 100 years later in apocalypse land". People may quit the show who'd enjoy the post apocalyptic story while those who like the present may be driven away by the complete change in show. Worse, the entire season may be set in the present

It's like they forget that once someone buys a book they have the whole thing. It doesn't matter if they only read half of it. Whereas tv shows need consistent ratings and people dropping out damages that.

The reviews i've seen suggest people who haven't read the book are enjoying more but dull is mentioned by a lot of people

11 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

we threw Project Blue Book into our rotation.... watching episode 2 as i type this.... all I'll say is that its Aiden Gillan's least annoying role so far....lol

After two episodes of this I may be bailing. Other than it being based on real stories, I find myself completely uninterested in even the extraterrestrial/UFO aspects of the series. When Aiden Gillian is the best aspect of the show, you know you're in trouble. I realize the actual Project Blue Book inspired Chris Carter to make X-Files, but this series is seeming like a really bad imitation of the X-Files with the film Carol spliced in. Maybe I'll just do a rewatch of Amazing Stories.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Is it on fox in uk?

I've read reviews and i think the mistake they are making is with how they tell the story

Reveal hidden contents

Yep. Aired Tuesday. I'm watching now. And I'm NOT impressed with the rubbish science right off the bat. 

ETA: well, bad science aside, it wasn't bad. Not too complex for a non reader to understand. Pretty simple really. 

Edited by Isis
Finished watching.

44 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yep. Aired Tuesday. I'm watching now. And I'm NOT impressed with the rubbish science right off the bat. 

ETA: well, bad science aside, it wasn't bad. Not too complex for a non reader to understand. Pretty simple really. 

I searched for it a day too soon!