Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

I went back to Last Kingdom and this new season is surprisingly tolerable compared to previous ones, though LK’s classic  storytelling issues and plot holes do represent themselves here too. Oh well. I’m happy to see a little blood with all the crappy Christmas movies I’ve also been watching.  

Speaking of, I watched The Christmas Prince - The Royal Wedding. While the original Christmas Prince was just passable and tolerable in its cheesy and annoying way, this sequel was absolutely vile and unbearable in every aspect. It was even painful as a background noise while doing housework. Ugh. 

37 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Speaking of, I watched The Christmas Prince - The Royal Wedding. While the original Christmas Prince was just passable and tolerable in its cheesy and annoying way, this sequel was absolutely vile and unbearable in every aspect. It was even painful as a background noise while doing housework. Ugh. 

Lol! Was it?!

Watched a really good documentary on Netflix called Filmworker. It’s about Leon Vatali (Lord Bullingdon in Barry Lyndon) who gave up his acting career to become Stanley Kubrick’s personal assistant. It’s pretty fascinating how important he was in pretty much every aspect of Kubrick’s films. 

Been doing our yearly December rewatch of the Harry Potter series.  Already 5 movies in, so in order to not be done by Dec 5th we're taking a break and instead watching Broadchurch.  Watched S1 in 2 days and I really enjoyed it.  Will probably watch that and my wife is actually interested in The Last King, so I'll be rewatching that with her.  Will sprinkle some HP and Christmas movies too, need to watch Elf at least twice.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Final Table on Netflix is awesome. Recommended for anyone who loves Top Chef like shows with extremely talented, accomplished chefs. We're like 8 episodes in and salivating. 

Yo, I've been binging that for the last week, it's actually surprisingly good. I initially found the host slightly annoying, but I've really warmed up to all of it. I love Top Chef, and this has been really good. I'm in the final few episodes now. I think it's refreshing to see them cook in teams, it adds something different from the other cooking show. 

For a different take, watch Nailed It on Netflix. It's awesomely funny and really good to watch with kids. My kids are now telling me how to use fondant properly and make sure that the pans are buttered when I'm cooking. 

The ITV 2016 Beowulf is steaming on amazon prime.  I''m enjoying it in the same over-the-top enjoyment provided by fantasy tv such as Xena.  It has the full flavor of those fantasy adventure serials from back in the day before barely television, like John Carter and Tarzan.  Strange, murderous beasts, a full hodpodge of colors, creeds and cultures, none of which make a lot of sense if dug into.  OTOH, the set for the series the production company built is superb, and there is a large cast of women with equal screen time.  It doesn't have much to do with the Beowulf we know from our English Lit Old English courses, but for me it doesn't matter.  However, the average joe tv viewer was outraged and the thing crashed and burned so bigly that the English tv reviewers / recappers just dropped it.  But it doesn't strike me -- at least not yet -- as stupid, the way Britannia is.

So many tried the bandwagon of Vikings and Got.  Only The Last Kingdom seems to have made it.  The list of right out of the box, crash and burn,  dark ageish, medievalish, etc., is pretty long now: The Bastard Executioner; Knightfall; Britannia. I couldn't even get through a single episode of those.  People didn't like Troy either, though I did.  And so far liking this too.

I watched a couple of movies.

Ant Man and the Wasp was enjoyable enough. I normally tune out the violations-of-the-laws-of-physics when it comes to comic book movies but I couldn't help it with this one and its predecessor. They double downed in this movie and went straight up into magic. Still enjoyable but I kept wondering if little kids would buy into this stuff as if it were actual science. The highlight of the movie was watching Evangeline Lilly kicking ass. I could see her character becoming a leader of the Avengers.

Spoiler

Once they unsnap her.

Also watched Mission Impossible: Fallout. I was entertained enough though predictable and unengaging. I didn't fall for any of the twists and I've seen this movie before between the predecessor movies in the franchise and the Fast and the Furious movies. The movie was worth it for the action scenes though. Tom Cruise's high altitude skydive is crazy.. can't believe studios let him actually do that. Reading about how they made that scene is entertaining itself. A couple of the fight scenes and and car chases were also pretty good such that I was almost disappointed in the final fight. 

Also, Henry Cavill's mustache was glorious. Dude should just keep that thing full time.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:48 PM, Mexal said:

Final Table on Netflix is awesome. Recommended for anyone who loves Top Chef like shows with extremely talented, accomplished chefs. We're like 8 episodes in and salivating. 

I watched a few episodes ant the finale and liked it. The episodes felt a little long to me so I picked a few and just watched those.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:57 PM, Raja said:

Yo, I've been binging that for the last week, it's actually surprisingly good. I initially found the host slightly annoying, but I've really warmed up to all of it. I love Top Chef, and this has been really good. I'm in the final few episodes now. I think it's refreshing to see them cook in teams, it adds something different from the other cooking show. 

I also liked the team aspect of it, helped change it up a little.

35 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Also watched Mission Impossible: Fallout. I was entertained enough though predictable and unengaging. I didn't fall for any of the twists and I've seen this movie before between the predecessor movies in the franchise and the Fast and the Furious movies. The movie was worth it for the action scenes though. Tom Cruise's high altitude skydive is crazy.. can't believe studios let him actually do that. Reading about how they made that scene is entertaining itself. A couple of the fights scenes and and car chases were also pretty good such that I was almost disappointed in the final fight. 

Also, Henry Cavill's mustache was glorious. Dude should just keep that thing full time.

Did you see the previous installment? The scene where he is hanging on the outside of a jet as it takes off from the ground is amazing and he really did it. I imagine there is a making of snip out there somewhere.

This past week I watched a few older movies, Directv unlocked all the pay channels so I dvr'd a bunch.

Die Hard 2 and Predator.  Have to say I enjoyed them just as much as I always have. None of the Predator movies hold a candle to the original.  Die Hard 2 is one of those few sequels that is almost as good if not better than the original.

Also watched 2.5 episodes of Nightflyers, the new SYFY show based on GRRM's story. I say 2.5 because during the third episode I cancelled recording the series and stopped watching it. IDK maybe it's just me but I couldn't get into it at all. The special effects were not very good.

Spoiler

I mean the gold wrapped bodies floating away looked like something from Friday the 13th in 3d back in the 80's

The repetitive stupid decisions of the crew, yes, 2.5 episodes in and they are doing the same thing over and over again

Spoiler

If the LE1 or whatever the telepath is called is so dangerous and can sense you coming then why do you keep going after him!!! If the dangerous guy wants to live in the forest ball then let him be!

Maybe it will get better but I'm not counting on it.

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Die Hard 2 and Predator.  Have to say I enjoyed them just as much as I always have. None of the Predator movies hold a candle to the original.  Die Hard 2 is one of those few sequels that is almost as good if not better than the original.

You serious, Clark? 

I knew I recognized that voice. Had Tombstone playing and heard the dealer that Wyatt kicks out of the Oriental talking. Didn't know it by looking at him but sure enough it's Billy Bob Thornton. 

Edit: There's something oddly exciting about recognizing an actor/actress in some old movie/show you had no idea they were in.

8 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Also watched Mission Impossible: Fallout. I was entertained enough though predictable and unengaging. I didn't fall for any of the twists and I've seen this movie before between the predecessor movies in the franchise and the Fast and the Furious movies. The movie was worth it for the action scenes though. Tom Cruise's high altitude skydive is crazy.. can't believe studios let him actually do that. Reading about how they made that scene is entertaining itself. A couple of the fight scenes and and car chases were also pretty good such that I was almost disappointed in the final fight. 

Maybe the most enjoyable movie I have watched this year. Cruise just knows how to hit the right buttons and keep me entertained. I couldn't even remember Rogue Nation, even though I swear I watched it in the cinema, and so any references to it were lost on me. But the action is so frantic and the pacing so good in these movies that it rarely matters what the plot is or that you don't get what is happening.

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Did say a few, meaning ones like Empire SB, The Godfather 2, Christmas vacation etc...

Personally, I don’t think any of the Die Hard sequels are all that good. Kind of liked the 3rd one for Samuel L Jackson, but that’s about it. None compare to the original, imo. 

Watched Paths of Glory for the first time tonight. Ive been on a Kubrick kick after seeing that Leon Vitali documentary. Amazing film. The ending scene is one of the best I’ve ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Personally, I don’t think any of the Die Hard sequels are all that good. Kind of liked the 3rd one for Samuel L Jackson, but that’s about it. None compare to the original, imo. 

Watched Paths of Glory for the first time tonight. Ive been on a Kubrick kick after seeing that Leon Vitali documentary. Amazing film. The ending scene is one of the best I’ve ever seen. 

I liked Die Hard 2. My wife and I do an annual Christmas watching of 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Welcome to the Stanley Kubrick worship group. :D just kidding. There is so much to enjoy and be amazed at in Kubrick's movies, even Barry Lyndon. 

Archived