Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

I watched Venom with very low expectations and it was still pretty awful. The first half had music that sounded like Westworld too. Probably the highlight.

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

Had the same thoughts.

Reveal hidden contents

Because that would be smart, I mean the mule randomly changing his pattern is exactly what you want, and they beat that out of him! Just like a guy who was in foreclosure suddenly driving a 50k truck is stupid! 

Because he was smart and parked it at the adjacent IHOP behind that partial fence, sneaky!

And that was Clint being Clint and always knowing the right thing to say to get blood thirsty bad guy on his side.

Spoiler

I actually forgot Clint parked in the parking lot next door... but still. I also liked how the daughter that hasn’t talked to him in like 12 years finally opens up to him and he basically just walked right away from her.

Oh well. Dude is 88 years old now! Can’t win them all.

38 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Venom with very low expectations and it was still pretty awful. The first half had music that sounded like Westworld too. Probably the highlight.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually forgot Clint parked in the parking lot next door... but still. I also liked how the daughter that hasn’t talked to him in like 12 years finally opens up to him and he basically just walked right away from her.

Oh well. Dude is 88 years old now! Can’t win them all.

Yeah I saw it's on demand now and was debating whether or not to get it. I guess it will just be more murder tonight on RDR2 as my party got canceled. 

14 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Went to see Aquaman today... whoever writes DC movie dialogue needs hack oversight...there were some cringe-worthy lines that even Jason Momoa and Amber Heard couldn't save

..... 2 episodes into Pine Gap... slow, but I'm liking it so far...

Aquaman is the first blockbuster "super hero" movie that I do not have an interest in seeing in theaters in a long time.

The Man Who Invented Christmas was pretty good.  A fresh way of telling A Christmas Carol.  Recommended. 

The Usual Suspects was still good on rewatch. 

Other than that, my wife is still working through the cheesy seasonal rom-coms.  About half of them get abandoned after ten minutes but the others are fostering the seasonal happy feelings.  The peak will be our annual tradition of Love Actually as we wrap gifts on Christmas Eve. 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Aquaman is the first blockbuster "super hero" movie that I do not have an interest in seeing in theaters in a long time.

I thought it was a ton of fun. There's some clunky dialogue (a bit too much exposition), but the movie moves at a good pace, the leads have chemistry, the action scenes are excellent, and the story is easy to follow. 

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Justice League and Ant-man and the wasp beat me to that prestigious title. Aquaman's is still something I'm very keen on watching but it's going to be difficult over the xmas period to find the time. I'm actually considering am Aquaman, Spidey, bumblebee marathon on new year day if I'm not hungover and the cinema is open/showing all three.

45 minutes ago, Zorral said:

For any who might interested, particularly in light of Veltigar's enthusiasm for the series, Derry Girls is now up and streaming on netflix in the US.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/derry-girls-1171358

Thanks for the update.  My Irish friends said this was very good.  I didn’t know Netflix were picking it up. 

Oops, it seems that I started writing my previous post to soon :blush:

On 12/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I agreed with Veltigar’s opinion involved Derry girls, hilarious little comedy. Be quite happy if it has a second season

Any news on the second season? I'm really not a big fan of sitcoms, so when a good one comes along I want to keep up to date ;) 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:12 AM, Zorral said:

People disappearing for no reason that we on the other side of the digital communication only cannot know is always sad, yes indeed.

An speaking yet again of Veltigar, if I recall correctly, among his very short period of return, he brought up The Derry Girls as the funniest -- and best -- he'd watched in some time.  I thought of him today when I saw it was coming to -- US netflix December 21.  I'll give it a try in honor of Veltigar.

It's not that I agreed particularly with his tastes and judgments, but none of that mattered -- especially as our tastes seemed to be rather different.  His views are nuanced, well-informed, intelligent and insightful, so one always pays attention to what he has to say.

Zorral, you are making me blush :blush:

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

For any who might interested, particularly in light of Veltigar's enthusiasm for the series, Derry Girls is now up and streaming on netflix in the US.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/derry-girls-1171358

Now I'm curious about what you thought of Derry Girls! :D 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Any news on the second season? I'm really not a big fan of sitcoms, so when a good one comes along I want to keep up to date ;) 

I've not had much watching time lately either.  The last things I watched with tremendous joy were earlier in the year, and I've watched very little since: Billions, and YES! The Last Kingdom!

I've seen only the first 1 and a half episodes of Derry Girls so far, which I will have you know I toasted in your name.  I love that it is so short.  Kids and adolescents really aren't what I like, nor are sitch comedies.  But I do like this, for a lot of reasons, particularly due to its location in time and space.  The history bubbling under the adolescents' totally self-centered, and even the sly self-aware self-centeredness of a couple of them -- countered then by their sheer awful awkwardness in other situations, such as with BOYS!,  lifts it -- or deepens it? -- just a bit above -- or below -- its fun, and illuminations of adolescents, which aren't illuminating at all for someone like me at my age, of course.  I find the parents and the nuns even more interesting.  Again, thank goodness, the episodes are so short.  I also get really tired of hearing the eff bomb all the time, just like I get tired of constant cigarettes -- authentic as it is -- in so many depictions of previous periods.  I really love no cell phones though, which is equally period.  :thumbsup:

I don't have much time for watching now either, with end of the year deadlines, the holidyas, and then leaving the country for a couple of weeks right after New Year's.  So a lot will have stacked up when I get back to watching.

Anyway! Happy Holidays to you and all the other faithful watchers of the screen(s).

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

There are things in my online life you couldn't even imagine :pirate: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Reddit. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Wikipedia Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like clicks in internet explorer.

All I'm saying is that I'm perhaps  not the innocent, pious poster you all think I am

(just kidding... obviously I'm free of sin :P)

Oh I know you're a villainous scoundrel who does dastardly deeds on the interwebs. I was just trying to help you keep up the facade. 

Fool! 

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm currently catching up on Killing Eve, since several critics put it forward as the best series of 2018. I have to admit that I wonder what kind of drugs they were taking, because four episodes in, I think it's crap. Interesting crap certainly, but crap nonetheless. So far everyone on this show is - to use a loaded word - utterly retarded. Worst investigators ever and this show really is devoid of any sense of reality. It sometimes feels like a cheesy, less-interesting version of better shows like Hannibal or Utopia (anyone remember that Channel 4 show? it was gone too soon). However, I like the fact that this really is a female dominated show and it has a certain quirkiness about it which is quite charming

Reveal hidden contents

For example, in the third episode Frank is running away from Villanelle and Eve asks him whether he's running or crying and with Villanelle shooting at him he just answers 'both'. I like that. :lmao:

I hope it gets better soon though, because right now it really isn't that much better than your standard cop/conspiracy show. Otherwise I'll conclude that this is just another case of bandwagoning gone wrong.

I do agree with this a bit, the lead actresses are really good but while individual scenes may be compelling the overall plot isn't really holding my attention.

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

P.S.   I have to agree about Killing Eve.  Like Three Signboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and Book Club, it was meretricious.

http://foxessa-foxhome.blogspot.com/2018/12/killing-eve-villainous-villain.html

Archived