US Politics: A Feast for Crows

DMC

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I really think the best way to go would be get Pelosi to agree to remain leader/speaker for another 4-6 years max, during which the party will benefit from her experience in everything from fundraising to deal making to twisting arms to get needed votes and everything else, and in the meantime a new generation (note: not Steny Hoyer or the other members of the current leadership group that are in their 70s) can be groomed for how to do all that and be prepared to take over.

Because the Democrats absolutely need new blood and to break out of the seniority system they currently have in the House, but I doubt there’s anybody who can do it better than Pelosi right now, and by no means do I want the blue dog conservative Democrats opposing her setting the tone for the party. Have a voice in the conversation, absolutely, especially in red states or the rural areas of blue states, but not to set the direction of the larger party.

Now this is what fake news really looks like:

Former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt was clearly taken aback last year when occasional Fox & Friends fill-in host Ed Henry grilled him about a number of ethical scandals facing his administration.

And Pruitt had a good reason to be surprised. In past interviews with President Trump’s favorite cable-news show, the then-EPA chief’s team chose the topics for interviews, and knew the questions in advance.

In one instance, according to emails revealed in a Freedom of Information Act request submitted by the Sierra Club and reviewed by The Daily Beast, Pruitt’s team even approved part of the show’s script.

Fox & Friends has long been a friendly venue for Trump and his allies, but the emails demonstrate how the show has pushed standard cable-news practices to the extreme in order to make interviews a comfortable, non-confrontational experience for favored government officials.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-and-friends-fed-interview-script-to-trumps-epa-chief-emails-show

Mueller has emails from Stone pal Corsi about WikiLeaks Dem email dump
"Word is (Julian Assange) plans 2 more dumps...Impact planned to be very damaging," Jerome Corsi said in email to Stone, say draft court documents.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/mueller-has-emails-stone-pal-corsi-about-wikileaks-dem-email-n940611

Two months before WikiLeaks released emails stolen from the Clinton campaign, right-wing conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi sent an email to former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone anticipating the document dump, according to draft court papers obtained by NBC News.

"Word is friend in embassy plans 2 more dumps," Corsi wrote on Aug. 2, 2016, referring to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, according to the draft court papers. "One shortly after I'm back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging."

The email was revealed in a draft court document, known as a statement of the offense, sent to Corsi by special counsel Robert Mueller's office. Mueller also sent Corsi a draft plea agreement stipulating that the special counsel would not oppose Corsi requesting a sentence of probation if he agreed to plead guilty to one count of lying to federal investigators.

32 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Chuck Schumer is such a fucking loser, and as bigoted as anyone in the GOP. 

Working with that white supremacist party to build a wall? Get fucked and retire you useless fuck.

:agree:

Sneaky tax bill...any thoughts?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/26/house-republicans-tax-package-1017368

House Republicans on Monday evening unexpectedly released a 297-page tax bill they hope to move during the lame-duck session of Congress.

The legislation would revive a number of expired tax provisions known as “extenders,” address glitches in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and make a range of changes to savings- and retirement-related tax provisions.

Other parts of the bill would revamp the IRS, provide new tax breaks for start-up businesses and offer assistance to disaster victims.

The measure amounts to House Republicans’ opening bid in negotiations with the Senate. They’ll need Democratic support there to move any changes, and it’s unclear whether lawmakers will agree to any of the provisions before adjourning for the year.

44 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

The only way the Democrats will agree to anything of the sort is if there are problems in the status quo that are damaging to their backers. I'd be really surprised if this goes anywhere, but stranger things have happened.

Despite the outcome in Mississippi, one has to hand it to the Democrats: their smear campaign of the past few days was top notch. Unfortunately for them, the state leans Republican quite heavily and this kind of campaign is nowhere near enough to overcome that nowadays.

5 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I really think the best way to go would be get Pelosi to agree to remain leader/speaker for another 4-6 years max

She has no reason or need to agree to such terms.  And I'm pretty sure such terms would be unprecedented anyway.  Like I've said before, I just really don't like the look that the top 3 are the same people we welcomed in 12 years ago.  And they're all about to be 80.  If I was still working on campaigns I could have a field day.

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

Despite the outcome in Mississippi, one has to hand it to the Democrats: their smear campaign of the past few days was top notch.

You seem stuck on this idea that accurate reporting of genuinely awful things Republicans have actually said and actually done is a Democrat 'smear campaign'. Much as you admire Trump, aping his Twitter feed isn't going to get you the attention he gets.

13 hours ago, Morpheus said:

You all realize that he is completely aware of the AH tape and he is going to deny that what was described was assault, yes?

It was an honest question, I thought that maybe I have missed something. But yes, if it's about that tape, then you're correct.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

She has no reason or need to agree to such terms.  And I'm pretty sure such terms would be unprecedented anyway.  Like I've said before, I just really don't like the look that the top 3 are the same people we welcomed in 12 years ago.  And they're all about to be 80.  If I was still working on campaigns I could have a field day.

Opposition to her as party leader is slowly growing within her own party on both wings, there are no heir apparents, she's 78 years old and most of her party's leadership is also in their 70s, so a massive change in leadership and getting the replacements up to snuff has to happen soon regardless of anything else, most of the names being put forward to replace her are currently more conservative than she is and would take the party in a direction she might not want to see it go, the selection process and infighting (whether it happens now or in a few years from now when the party needs to replace her no matter what) could prove a dangerous and costly distraction, especially if it plays out in real time before a Republican opposition once again united behind "We're just going to be anti everything Democrats do", and so on and so forth.

The current political situation may not be enough to force her to such terms, but the larger reality is offering plenty of reasons. If it keeps the blue dogs from making trouble and sets up the party for the future, that alone would make it an excellent political move.

13 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Chuck Schumer is such a fucking loser, and as bigoted as anyone in the GOP. 

Working with that white supremacist party to build a wall? Get fucked and retire you useless fuck.

$1.5B won't build a $25B wall. Stop overreacting.

Archived