Random Though: Jon was named "Brandon" by Lyanna

norwaywolf123

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Why? Where is this coming from? 

Short and sweet: nope.

56 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Based on what? Ned would have had no reason to hide Jon's real name if it were Brandon. It would be among the easiest names to pass Jon off as his own bastard under.

Lyanna and Brandon have been described as wolf blooded. They also grew up togheter in the North, while Eddard grew up in large part in the Vale. It is not unreasonable to think that Lyanna and Brandon was close. Eddard was probably the sibling who was least close to his other siblings.

Eddard may still think that naming Jon "Jon" would make Robert more emotional and less suspicious due to their shared fostering in the Vale. Eddard and Robert both had a emotional bond to Jon Arryn. We also do not know if Eddard was any close to Brandon.

I cannot remember where but i read that Bloodraven was waiting for a Brandon Stark to be born, this is just introducing Jon as Brandon instead of Bran.

It seems Lyanna was close to Benjen as well, so why not Benjen? 

Also, BR was waiting for a Stark, the right Stark. Leaf only says he was waiting for “the Bran boy” b/c once they realised he was the right Stark he had already been named Brandon. Moreover, why and how and when would anyone involved in naming Jon know the first thing about whatever BR and/or the CotF needed or wanted or were waiting for?

She could've named him pretty much anything. She could've been the one to come up with Jon, she might've gone with Brandon or Rickard for her recently deceased brother and father, she could've named him one of the many other Stark or Targaryen names. 

I think she named him either Jon or a Targaryen name, since if she did call him Brandon, then I see no reason why Ned would feel the need to change that name. If Jon really was Ned's bastard, then it would make sense for him to name his Northern looking baby after his recently deceased brother. 

Hell, we might never even find out. We have Daenerys coming from the East with 3 dragons, we have Euron in the South potentially trying to become some sort of God, and then we have the Others about to attack from the North. I don't think Jon's real name is very important in the grand scale of things.  xD

1. My favourite theory (not mine): Jon's real name is Aemon.

A Game of Thrones - Jon VIII

"Aemon … Targaryen?" Jon could scarcely believe it.

"Once," the old man said. "Once. So you see, Jon, I do know … and knowing, I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it all the rest of your days. As I have." His voice fell to a whisper. "As I have …"

AGoT- Jon IX

(...) he had left because he was after all his father's son, and Robb's brother. The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. 

A Storm of Swords - Jon XII

"I'm Prince Aemon the Dragonknight", Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, "Well, I'm Florian the Fool." 

I can sense some typical GRRM irony there...

2.  Another solid theory is that his real name is Aegon :

A Feast for Crows - Brienne VI

(...) We have found silver cups and iron pots, sacks of wool and bolts of silk, rusted helms and shining swords . . . aye, and rubies."

That interested Ser Hyle. "Rhaegar's rubies?"

"It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient. Six have been found. We are all waiting for the seventh."

Six Aegons were crowned. Indeed, even if Raegar's first son Aegon died at the hands of the Mountain when still an infant, he was still the legitimate king as both Aerys and Rhaegar were already dead or he is still alive as Young Griff, Aegon VI then. So it would make sense if Jon was to become eventually Aegon VII, the seventh ruby.

16 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Lyanna and Brandon have been described as wolf blooded. They also grew up togheter in the North, while Eddard grew up in large part in the Vale. It is not unreasonable to think that Lyanna and Brandon was close. Eddard was probably the sibling who was least close to his other siblings.

Eddard may still think that naming Jon "Jon" would make Robert more emotional and less suspicious due to their shared fostering in the Vale. Eddard and Robert both had a emotional bond to Jon Arryn. We also do not know if Eddard was any close to Brandon.

I cannot remember where but i read that Bloodraven was waiting for a Brandon Stark to be born, this is just introducing Jon as Brandon instead of Bran.

What indication is there that Brandon and Lyanna were especially close? Brandon would have been around four or five years older than Lyanna, and spent most of his time at Barrowton until he reached his majority in 278 AC. We know how Ned felt about Lyanna, and we have an idea of how close Benjen and Lyanna were. But we have no real indication of how close Brandon and Lyanna were. It's certainly possible, but, unlike with Lyanna's other siblings, we have no indication about her closeness with Brandon. So it is bizarre and baseless to assume that Lyanna would name her son after Brandon because of some closeness we are not aware of. And even if they were close, Ned would have no reason to hide that Jon's name was Brandon. Brandon would be a very natural thing for Ned to call his own bastard. There would be absolutely nothing suspicious about Ned naming his bastard Brandon after his own deceased elder brother. In fact, he eventually names one of his own legitimate sons Brandon without controversy. This idea really makes no sense from any angle.

1 hour ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Or Jon is the result of Brandon + Lyanna.  She named him Brandon Junior and the unimaginative Ned renamed him Jon.  How very uncreative and how very Ned Stark.

7 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

He would not have been named Brandon by anyone.  Brandon is a Stark name not a Snow.

King/Lord Torrhen Stark's bastard half-brother was Brandon Snow. We can be certain that Jon wasn't named Brandon because there would have been no reason for Ned to hide that his name was Brandon. 

There have been a million Brandons, Ned had no reason whatsoever to change Jon's name if that was the name Lyanna had chosen for him. What does it matter to Ned if his name was Brandon? 

12 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

King/Lord Torrhen Stark's bastard half-brother was Brandon Snow. We can be certain that Jon wasn't named Brandon because there would have been no reason for Ned to hide that his name was Brandon. 

And a half-brother he seemed to trust above all to send him on a diplomatic mission to Aegon. 

There’s some interesting thoughts here, but I don’t see a point to it right now. Actually, I don’t see the big deal about Jon’s name beyond it possibly revealing his birth. Even then, how is it plot relevant? Does it make any difference to the plot if Jon is named Viserys, Aegon, Aemon, Jahaerys (sp?),  LeRoy, or JimBob Targaryen so long as it isn't Aerys? Why would Lyanna bother with a promise about a name?

Lyanna: Name him so-and-so.

Ned: Ok, but you know I can’t tell folks that.

Lyanna: Yeah, I know. I’m not an idiot.

So where does a promise about a name come in? It’s not needed. Unless we’re not being told something….

3 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

1. My favourite theory (not mine): Jon's real name is Aemon.

I can sense some typical GRRM irony there...

2.  Another solid theory is that his real name is Aegon :

Six Aegons were crowned. Indeed, even if Raegar's first son Aegon died at the hands of the Mountain when still an infant, he was still the legitimate king as both Aerys and Rhaegar were already dead or he is still alive as Young Griff, Aegon VI then. So it would make sense if Jon was to become eventually Aegon VII, the seventh ruby.

If Jon is the seventh king Aegon, will Jon become the last king Aegon?

Archived