Random Though: Jon was named "Brandon" by Lyanna

norwaywolf123

3 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

Six Aegons were crowned. Indeed, even if Raegar's first son Aegon died at the hands of the Mountain when still an infant, he was still the legitimate king as both Aerys and Rhaegar were already dead or he is still alive as Young Griff, Aegon VI then. So it would make sense if Jon was to become eventually Aegon VII, the seventh ruby.

Only five Aegons have been crowned. Prince Aegon was murdered basically at the same time as Aerys II, and was never crowned. But Aerys had apparently already passed over Aegon to name Viserys his heir after hearing about the death of Rhaegar two weeks before Aegon and Aerys were killed.

AeGriff will almost certainly be crowned Aegon VI, though it remains to be seen if he will be recognized as such in the histories.

A stretching speculative theory that has no possible impact (or evidence to support it) on the story. 

I feel his name might be important. Ned named him after Jon Arryn, his foster father, but it could have unintended consequences. If Jon Connington ever hears about the nature of his parents, I can see him wanting to believe Rhaeger named his son after Connington. 

9 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

in the title

5 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Or Jon is the result of Brandon + Lyanna.  She named him Brandon Junior and the unimaginative Ned renamed him Jon.  How very uncreative and how very Ned Stark.

Brandon + Lyanna = Jon

4 hours ago, Beren_One_Hand said:

If Jon was named Brandon and Ned changed it his name to Jon, it’s possible he did it to make the impact of him bringing his bastard home less of a blow to Catelyn. She was betrothed to Brandon before marrying Ned.

I agree.  That is something Eddard would do.  

11 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Only five Aegons have been crowned. Prince Aegon was murdered basically at the same time as Aerys II, and was never crowned. But Aerys had apparently already passed over Aegon to name Viserys his heir after hearing about the death of Rhaegar two weeks before Aegon and Aerys were killed.

AeGriff will almost certainly be crowned Aegon VI, though it remains to be seen if he will be recognized as such in the histories.

Ok, maybe "crowned" is not the right word, but you get the idea - 6 kingly Aegons and Jon would be the 7th. And infant Aegon most certainly died after Aerys did, even if it was only a few minutes later. This has been discussed before, for instance here if you are interested:

And despite a well-known (supposedly) spoiling source (where Young Griff does not exist...), I still believe that Jon's real name in the books is Aemon, because I can't see a father giving twice the same name to a son, even if from different wives... And I can even less see a second wife (lover) naming her son the same as another one from her husband's (lover's) former (actual) wife!

Archived