What was wrong with Maegor’s private’s?

Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

To which doesn’t really seem to be to the detriment of Valaryians. Else, they’d be described as a country where deformity is high,  along with other hallmarks of inbreeding.  

GRRM is selective about how he applies inbreeding in the story

Maegor certainly had the balls to murder half his family and turn most of country against him. 

Speaking of inbreeding, Craster’s been raping his daughters and granddaughters (and possibly even further) for years. How come none of them look deformed?

4 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Maegor certainly had the balls to murder half his family and turn most of country against him. 

Speaking of inbreeding, Craster’s been raping his daughters and granddaughters (and possibly even further) for years. How come none of them look deformed?

Maybe he gets rid of deformed girls in a different but similar way he does with his sons ,  though it would be rarer occurrence so not mentioned .  Similarly to rumors about Spartans  or other ancient societies , Wildlings in general may expose children who they find weak, deformed like Val comments greyscale.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:39 AM, Lord Varys said:

We learn in passing in FaB that Maegor had a harem of lowborn mistresses and paramours in addition to his queens, and there is no acknowledged bastard from them as well. He had severe fertility issues.

Why would Maegor acknowledge any bastards?  That only happens when you want to give your out of wedlock children certain rights or protections.  I don’t see Maegor being concerned enough to bother.

Also, aren’t we told that Maegor did conceive several children?  They were just stillborn.  It doesn’t mean that he was sterile, it either means that he has some genetic issue that was being passed on to his children, or perhaps Tyanna was in fact poisoning the children as she confessed.

20 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Why would Maegor acknowledge any bastards?  That only happens when you want to give your out of wedlock children certain rights or protections.  I don’t see Maegor being concerned enough to bother.

Because he had no trueborn heirs aside from the children of his brother. That's explicitly mentioned as a severe issue. When he names Aerea his heir it is quite clear he had no bastards he could legitimize to have an heir of his own body.

Also, aren’t we told that Maegor did conceive several children?  They were just stillborn.  It doesn’t mean that he was sterile, it either means that he has some genetic issue that was being passed on to his children, or perhaps Tyanna was in fact poisoning the children as she confessed.

Three wives supposedly got pregnant by Maegor (Alys' case is dubious, though). I didn't say Maegor was completely infertile, though. I just said he had severe fertility issues. He slept regularly with Ceryse, Tyanna, and Rhaena - and none of them got pregnant.

20 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Because he had trueborn heirs aside from the children of his brother. That's explicitly mentioned as a severe issue. When he names Aerea his heir it is quite clear he had no bastards he could legitimize to have an heir of his own body.

This and pride.  A living and healthy bastard, would demonstrate to the world that the gods haven’t cursed him and he is a fine specimen of masculinity.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:27 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He seems to have been able to impregnate one of his queens. Why the difficulty in being able to do so to other women? 

You mean the black brides.  I don't know.  Two Usual Suspects stand out to me.  He's got a low sperm count.  Basically shoots blanks most of the time.  One little swimmer got through one time.  His maesters were poisoning the fetus.  I suspect foul play from the maesters.  

On 12/25/2018 at 10:53 AM, Allardyce said:

You mean the black brides.  I don't know.  Two Usual Suspects stand out to me.  He's got a low sperm count.  Basically shoots blanks most of the time.  One little swimmer got through one time.  His maesters were poisoning the fetus.  I suspect foul play from the maesters.  

The maesters, meh maybe? Maegor actually siring an heir would further muddy the line of succession, and make it harder for the Targyens to unify the kingdoms into one country . Possible the maesters  saw a united realm as the best thing to happen. I suppose they could have thought  his level of brutality did help bring the country to heel for a time hench not just poisoning him be done with it right at the beginning.  I don't know. Just spitballing here.

So many proven to be fertile partners and so little success.  The trouble had to be Maegor's equipment.  He's not one to accept such a thing though.  What silly person would deliver that kind of news to him.  So they humored him and kept giving him brides when they knew it would fail.  So desperate they were that they sent in a train of sperm donors to the woman's bed.  

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The maesters, meh maybe? Maegor actually siring an heir would further muddy the line of succession, and make it harder for the Targyens to unify the kingdoms into one country . Possible the maesters  saw a united realm as the best thing to happen. I suppose they could have thought  his level of brutality did help bring the country to heel for a time hench not just poisoning him be done with it right at the beginning.  I don't know. Just spitballing here.

It was his wife Tana who poison the Black Brides Maegor did father some children but they were kill by Tana.

Despite sleeping frequently with his wives and any mistresses he had, only 4 children came of it at best (i count Alys's child and Silver Denys as Maegor's offspring). Statistically this is very bad for a man's fertility. And even before meeting Tyana he had no children legitimate or not.  

On 12/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Good point.  I hate to say this but maybe Craster had near-perfect genes.  In other words, there are no flaws that would ever come about. 

On 12/25/2018 at 1:53 PM, Allardyce said:

Foul play from the Grand Maester is possible.  Or any maester who was serving the royal family.  Maybe the maester was loyal to the faith. 

Archived