Thoros and his flaming sword~Melisandre and magic

Legitimate_Bastard

After Thoros joins the BWB he still fights with a burning sword. I don't recall him having wildfire out there in the Riverlands. Beric sets his ablaze with his blood when he fights Sandor. Is Thoros doing the same? Has this only been the case since the first time he issued the Last Kiss to Beric? He is using magic right? That is what it looks like to me, part of Thoros' new found connection with R'hllor. Part of the whole magic is alive in the world again thang. 

If that is the case, it doesn't seem to use him up like doing magical things uses up Mel where she goes on about how demonstrations of her power really sap her etc. I know he is described as loose skinned and haggard, but I took that as a consequence of hard living as a guerrilla.

What's going on...

I wanted to bring this up in another post. Yes, in the battle against some Brave Companions tugs, both Thoros and Beric are wielding flaming swords, but there is no mention how Thoros lit it up. Did he use Beric's blood? Or his own? Wildfire is ruled out here.

I'm always had the suspicion that red priests (at least the ones who matter in this story, Mel, Thoros, Moqorro) are "fire wights", i.e. they rose from the dead in the same manner as Beric did. We see that Moqorro was able to be for many days at the sea, Mel barely eats and sleep and doesn't feel the cold. Thoros? Not much is said about Thoros, except he was able to outdrink Robert Baratheon himself. You need some kind of superpower to do that.

Anyway, Thoros "reconnected" with R'hllor when Beric awoke from the deads. He is able to read things in the fires and I'm certain he is staying with tBwB under LSH because he feels that is the mission that R'hllor mandated for him.  It is certainly possible that he is able to set his swords aflame with his blood too.

I think he is using Beric's blood. Although there is nothing in the text to tell us. There is no wild fire that we no of so that is my assumption. If you read Thoros' description (not sure which chapter dont have the books right here) he does look like hes kind of haggard. He lost a ton of weight. He claims that living in the woods and off of the land trimmed him down but i think that maybe giving Beric the last kiss may have worn him down some.

5 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Not much is said about Thoros, except he was able to outdrink Robert Baratheon himself. You need some kind of superpower to do that

Lol for sure!

I'm still baffled by Mel being drained and apparently not Thoros... IDK

31 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

I hate to be mundane, but might he just be using simple lamp oil? It's not really hard to procure and it travels well.

Mundane, perhaps. Logical, definitely. But why don't more people do it? Why didn't Thoros always use lamp oil instead of wildfire? Seems it would be a lot safer. Tobho Mott would like you, methinks!

10 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Mundane, perhaps. Logical, definitely. But why don't more people do it? Why didn't Thoros always use lamp oil instead of wildfire? Seems it would be a lot safer. Tobho Mott would like you, methinks!

Well, I assume wildfire lasts longer and is more spectacular (being green and all that). And Thoros was little more than a jester in court, so putting on a good show meant a better meal ticket for him.

As for why others don't do it; on a realistic level, it's stupid to do because you would ruin the temper of your sword and on a story level, I have no idea other than they think it's nutzo.

ETA: Do we get a description of the color of the fire on Beric's and Thoros' swords while they're with the Brotherhood?

49 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

ETA: Do we get a description of the color of the fire on Beric's and Thoros' swords while they're with the Brotherhood?

Only one I could find in a hurry - doesn't exactly describe the fire only the swoosh for lack of a better term.

A Storm of Swords - Arya VI

The flaming sword leapt up to meet the cold one, long streamers of fire trailing in its wake like the ribbons the Hound had spoken of. Steel rang on steel. No sooner was his first slash blocked than Clegane made another, but this time Lord Beric's shield got in the way, and wood chips flew from the force of the blow. Hard and fast the cuts came, from low and high, from right and left, and each one Dondarrion blocked. The flames swirled about his sword and left red and yellow ghosts to mark its passage. Each move Lord Beric made fanned them and made them burn the brighter, until it seemed as though the lightning lord stood within a cage of fire. "Is it wildfire?" Arya asked Gendry.
"No. This is different. This is . . ."
". . . magic?" she finished as the Hound edged back. Now it was Lord Beric attacking, filling the air with ropes of fire, driving the bigger man back on his heels. Clegane caught one blow high on his shield, and a painted dog lost a head. He countercut, and Dondarrion interposed his own shield and launched a fiery backslash. The outlaw brotherhood shouted on their leader. "He's yours!" Arya heard, and "At him! At him! At him!" The Hound parried a cut at his head, grimacing as the heat of the flames beat against his face. He grunted and cursed and reeled away.

Actually I brought this up in the past. Thoros is using his own blood to light his sword. I would have to find all the quotes about this, but Thoros talks about how he was taught the proper prayers to ignite his own blood when he became a priest, but they didn't work until recently. I will see if I can find all the quotes about the "fire inside" of R'hollor priests. 

Easy on poor Mel now.   If you read the initial conversations between Beric and Thoros it's very clear that the Lightning Lord is depleting.  They both speak of many impossible wounds, murders and injuries Beric has returned from, a little less than what he was.  But there is a strong bond between them, too.  Beric tells Arya that all this reanimating is taking it's toll on Thoros, too.  Thoros brushes the idea that what's happening with him is inconsequential compared to the Lord of Light's work.   Beric later breaks the reanimation cycle by giving his own last vitality to a dangerously and decaying dead Catelyn Stark.  Thoros refused to do it despite pleading from Harwin.  Why?   I suspect the act of reanimating Cat was to break his own insane cycle of death and reanimation---from some pretty horrendous injuries--and to give Thoros respite or replenish his own fires.  Point is, Thoros paid as much as if not differently than Melisandre pays for her own magic.   

I don't think I've ever read that all the Red Priests could be reanimated themselves.   Neat idea and I can see it fit with all 3 listed above.  This could explain having the ability to use a body fluid, like blood, to set a sword alight.   I guess if there is some super quick resurrection immediately following death ala Drown God kiss of life, a person could go on producing bodily fluids.   Could be Melisandre is so old that she can no longer produce fluids and has to use glamors and powders to maintain herself.   

Archived