ned starks words to bran will be referenced in the future

goldenlion

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

I think in the future a stark be it bran ( and given that it was bran he was saying it to I think bran) wil have a time where a man is prepped for execution look him in the eyes  hear his final words and cant bear to take their life  leading to that person to be spared  

I have seen people suggesting jaime

I agree with you. Everytime Bran tries to think about how he came to be crippled, something diverts his attention away from the issue. I think at some point Bran will come "face to face" with Jaime and have to make the decision to kill him or let him go. I put "face to face'' in quotation marks because Bran might be in Summer at the time.

Great post, I've been thinking about this myself over the past couple of days. Ned's lessons to his children from early on are bound to have an effect on their later story lines.

Chris's topic is spot on too. The most obvious judgement he'll have to make is whether to exact revenge on Jaime, and Ned saying "if you cant bear to look into his eyes, then maybe they don't deserve death" (not exact quote) shows that he'll spare someone.

Taking it further, I think that to make lightbringer Jon will have to kill Dany at the very end of the book. I think her third treason will be commited by her to force Jons hand, then bran will have to convince Jon to do it himself.

If Bran is going to behead Jaime, which I can hardly credit, he'd have to use Hodor's body to swing the sword. I don't see it happening. I don't think Bran would force gentle Hodor to be an executioner - a defender is something else. I also don't think the two/three of them will ever get together. By now, Jaime is in the hands of Dead Cat, who does know what he did to Bran, and I don't think Cat will much care to replay Ned's words in her mind.

Also, Bran doesn't seem to be feeling a need for revenge. Each time he's thought about the golden man and falling, and "The things I do for love", he turns away and thinks of something else. Think of how different this reaction is from nearly every other character!

On 11/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, goldenlion said:

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

I think in the future a stark be it bran ( and given that it was bran he was saying it to I think bran) wil have a time where a man is prepped for execution look him in the eyes  hear his final words and cant bear to take their life  leading to that person to be spared  

I believe there's going to be a payoff.

But... That is in the first chapter of AGOT.

And those words are said after Ned executed a diserter of the NW, who saw the WWs.

So I don't exclude a payoff more literal (a Stark that has to excute someone, etc..), but I cannot help but think if it may have something to do with the WWs. With a distant and forgotten memory given that it seems to be an ancestral use in the North.

But I honestly don't know how. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, goldenlion said:

It already happened, and it was with Jon executing Slynt 

Jaime has already been recruited by the green team with his weir dream and his course correction toward being what the realm needs.  Necessity could even join him to Daenerys and Jon in common cause as the savior class.  As for how Bran and Jaime could meet eye to eye, Bran could melt Stoneheart's cold heart by merging his consciousness with hers to warm her response to Brienne and Jaime upon their meeting.  Bran in her brain would be a trusted source corroborating the pleas of Jaime and Brienne nothing else would make her believe.  It's one of the few ways Catelyn could be moved to change her frozen mindstate.   Just saying.  Otherwise, the honorable couple would have to scrimmage against Catelyn to the finish, no?   I don't want any of those 3 to go out like that, so i look for alternate solutions.  Those solutions are very 'Unlikely', to be sure.  But George seems to have set up this meeting as his moment to shine, pull a rabbit out of his hat, potentially.  So among my hobbies is trying to guess how the meet up with Cat may yet go "well".

Edited to add:  what if the reason this meeting has been delayed is because it happens as part of a Bran chapter?!?!   And Bran first needed to be developed up to the point where he's ready to act in ways no previous greenseer has been able to.

9 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

It already happened, and it was with Jon executing Slynt 

And also with Jon non executing Ygritte. So it could happen a third time.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, goldenlion said:

Just one question : why Bran couldn't be the one "executed" and looking in the eyes his executioner ?

2 hours ago, GloubieBoulga said:

And also with Jon non executing Ygritte. So it could happen a third time.

Just one question : why Bran couldn't be the one "executed" and looking in the eyes his executioner ?

I think it's unlikely that Bran will have to execute someone. That he may be the one executed... if something really weird is going on with him and Bloodraven, why not?

Furthemore, like I said, the fact that those words are said for the first time, in the first pov of the serie, after a NW deserter who has seen the WWs got executed, may be foreshadowing an endgame not only Bran but WWs related.

That beside Robb vs lord Karstark and Jon vs Ygritte. 

The northerners are going to defeat Jaime and drag him before a heart tree for execution/judgement, and Bran will communicate to them he doesn't want Jaime executed. That's how the "meeting" is going to play out.

It is probably what the north did historically and what is happening in Bran's vision of the executed prisoner, as who better to judge guilt or innocence than the Old Gods which is a greenseer who can see all a man has done?

20 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

The northerners are going to defeat Jaime and drag him before a heart tree for execution/judgement, and Bran will communicate to them he doesn't want Jaime executed. That's how the "meeting" is going to play out.

It is probably what the north did historically and what is happening in Bran's vision of the executed prisoner, as who better to judge guilt or innocence than the Old Gods which is a greenseer who can see all a man has done?

I like it. I have to ask. Why would they switch to beheading? The BoB have a penchant for hanging people. Would it make more sense if they were being hanged from a Heart Tree? I'm trying to think why they would make an exception for Jaime; Why chop his head off but hang the Freys? 

I like the idea of Jamie and Bran meeting at some point. I'm really hoping Jamie's arc takes him North. One thing I don't want to see is Jamie back in King's Landing or reunited with Cersei. Bran seems a little preoccupied with Theon at the moment but I could see him using his weirwood visions to see Jamie. One thing I was wondering is where will the outlaws bring Jamie. I was thinking Greywater Watch, but now I'm thinking Raventree. Either location seems ideal for Bran to influence Jamie's fate. 

One potential path that I think would lead Jamie North would be if Lady Stoneheart and the northern outlaws want to return there and decide to bring Jamie with them. Either to force him to join the Watch or something else. Leverage of some kind? or something darker like giving him to the Night Queen. maybe Cat spent too much time dead and now they're influencing her. I was working on this theory where when you die, the heart trees judge you and if they deem you bad, you spend eternity as a thrall for the Night Queen. that's hell.  it's possible Bran might have to save Jamie's life. I love this potential theme of Bran saving those who've wronged him. first, Theon, later maybe Jamie.

Archived