The Spidey-verse - have we reached critical Spidey for it's own thread?

The Anti-Targ

Reviews for Into the Spiderverse are looking pretty stellar with phrases like best animated movie of 2018 and one of the best animated movies ever being thrown around un-ironically.

With Venom being a big box office success, even if critics mostly hated it, and many fans, it does look like the stage is set for a bunch of Spidey movies to happen independent of the MCU. I also here into the Spiderverse 2 is already being made, and a Spider-Gwen movie is also [unofficially?] confirmed which could be an ensemble of a number of the female spider-characters.

I'll certainly be seeing Into the Spiderverse. I like animated movies, I like superhero movies how can I not see it? Even if critics are a bit too hyped in their praise, it's still got to be a good movie right?

And even the Spider Man video game is doing well.

You're onto a good thing Sony, try not to screw it up.

With 52 reviews posted on Rotten Tomatoes it's still at 100%, and with an average review score of 9/10. Probably won't last, but It's going to review incredibly well even with a likely drop off from those heady heights.

The other Spidey thing happening of course is Venom. It will probably fall short of Homecoming at the box office, but now that it's hit well over $800 million globally. Much better than anyone probably imagined.

there's also the jared leto morbius film that's underway too.

i'm hoping to see spideyverse but the timings bad as I'm going to berlin the week of release and then it's xmas. I'm hoping to squeeze it in as the humour seems good and it feels very much like a comic 

Yes, Into The Spider-Verse looks like a very fun film, and it will definitely get my theater dollars. I was never a big fan of all the Spidey spin-offs in comics, but I did dig Bendis' run with Miles in the Ultimate comics and Spider Gwen is just an awesome costume design all around. I like how the film gives her look even more of an edge. 

I'm also wondering if the PS4 game, animated film(s), and live-action movies like Venom (and the inevitable Venom 2: Frisco Carnage) will intertwine at some point? My guess is yup.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:41 AM, Martini Sigil said:

For the life of me, I don't understand how Venom was such a box office success... as much as I like Tom hardy, i thought the movie was abysmal

I'm surprised it made as much as it did but i still enjoyed Hardy's OTT performance so that saved it from what was an absolute mess of a plot/narrative.

Into the spider verse is getting almost universal praise. Lots of comments along tbe lines of "best Spidey since raimi 1+2" and "one of best movies of 2018" (which is always good when it's December). Apparently the humour is very much up there with the Lego/batman films which isn't that surprising given phil lord and co are producers. It still leaves me weirdly fascinated at what their solo film would have been like. Even if the tone was wrong im still curious

On 12/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yes, Into The Spider-Verse looks like a very fun film, and it will definitely get my theater dollars. I was never a big fan of all the Spidey spin-offs in comics, but I did dig Bendis' run with Miles in the Ultimate comics and Spider Gwen is just an awesome costume design all around. I like how the film gives her look even more of an edge. 

I'm also wondering if the PS4 game, animated film(s), and live-action movies like Venom (and the inevitable Venom 2: Frisco Carnage) will intertwine at some point? My guess is yup.

The PS4 game definitely intertwines with Homecoming in one aspect: the hunt for the backpacks side quests. You have to run around New York trying to remember all the places you've stuck your backpack to walls and dumpsters in back alleys and forgotten to go back and get them. Aunt May must be really frustrated at having to replace so many of Peter's lost back packs.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Martini Sigil said:

For the life of me, I don't understand how Venom was such a box office success... as much as I like Tom hardy, i thought the movie was abysmal

China, $260M and counting.

But I had fun with the movie, so I don;t regret going to see it.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:41 AM, Martini Sigil said:

Don't underestimate the power of an audience that is only half interested in movies.  Venom + Tom Hardy is an easy sell to a lot of people who don't know anything about it other than it looks cool.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Also the added bonus of being a superhero/comic book film without the baggage of ten trillion* other films to wade through

*small exaggeration....

The great thing about the film is for one ticket you get what was several miniseries in the comics (although it looks as though they are only really using the spiderverse as opposed to adapting the story faithfully).

There was the collected edition but it costs more than a ticket.

Into the Spiderverse nominated for a Golden Globe. Looks to have a pretty great chance of winning too.  Surely the Globes will be looking to give it to a non-Disney movie, since Disney / Pixar seems to win this category a lot.

Is a very good movie. But people are saying Into the Spiderverse is truly special. I hope it pokes Disney in the eye in more ways than 1: beating what was probably assumed to be the guaranteed winner right up to December and 2: The first Marvel movie to win a best picture award and it's not a MCU movie. Sony winning it, when a year ago almost everyone who thinks their opinion is of public service interest thought Sony was the anti-Midas with Spider Man properties, without having their hand held by Marvel, is also quite amusing to contemplate.

I love me some MCU movies, but I don't especially like Disney. So I am pleased when the awards categories it assumes it owns get infiltrated by other movies from different people.

Okay, believe the hype. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is something special. I think it'll do for comic book films what Deadpool did -- absolutely propel them forward. The movie doesn't break the fourth wall like Deadpool, but there was something really meta about it. It was the way it engaged the comic book medium. This was a cartoon, but it felt almost like a moving comic. That's the best way to describe it. The way it used narration boxes, the different styles of animation all happening at once -- it was a visual masterpiece. A literal comic book movie, which engaged comic books like no other movie could before it.

The story itself was a ton of fun. I loved the way it didn't hold your hand. It just assumes everyone knows who these characters are, no matter how obscure/strange. Yeah, there was the dossier-type origin breakdowns, but they made them all entertaining via the visuals -- the exposition didn't matter. Can't wait to see more films based in this universe!

On 12/5/2018 at 1:18 PM, Heartofice said:

Its sad that this is a downside to me. 

It is if you look at how inaccessible the comics have become with this model. The last thing we want is to start feeling like we have to watch a film so we can understand another one. Marvel movies are finding a good balance although I don't know anyone who watched infinity without watching any of the lead in franchises.

Tbh I'm not incredibly fussed about captain marvel but it feels like it may be useful in understanding her likely role in avengers: endgame. That's where the danger lies. At what point fo the films become so interconnected that you feel like you have to watch all of them or you miss 1-2 and give up on them all because you don't want to play catch up?

It's the double edged sword of comics shared universes. They are a ton of fun when you know heroes and villains from multiple franchises can interact but thry can also turn into a never ending series of crossover events where it becomes hard to tell films/comics apart. Civil War and Ragnarok are entertaining films but are they really captain America and Thor films? I'd say civil war should have been avengers 3 (or better avengers 2 and Ultron never happened) and while Thor was the star they essentially stole Hulk's solo adventure from him.

I think the MCU will be fine because they can't churn out as many films as marvel comics and cinema is much cheaper hobby to follow than marvel comics where $5 a comic isn't unusual and there being 10s of titles a month on offer. A bigger problem for MCU is the ageing of the actors meaning they are forced to either rest character franchises or recast. The next "phase" should be interesting as we'll see how they get on with resting franchises. 

Archived