The Spidey-verse - have we reached critical Spidey for it's own thread?

The Anti-Targ

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Blah. My usual movie goers have all declined to see this movie with me. I guess it isn't quite mainstream enough where they feel like they would enjoy it.

Whatever, I'm going to see it by myself anyways.

This is the only correct way to enjoy the cinema

My daughters loved it, even the youngest who is really starting to rebel against anything animated. Won't even watch She-Ra, that one. Myself, I admire how they nailed the comic book styling that Ang Lee was clearly going for in his try at Hulk. It had all the feels, the humor was well done, the feels were real. 

Very good show. 

I loved this film, possibly my favorite Spider Man film since Spider Man 2.

Just so many laughs and creativity at play. All of the version of Spider Man were fun and had at least one moment that made me laugh.

Yup, loved it. It was perfectly pitched, the visuals were simply beautiful, I loved the way it looked, the way it moved , the creativity in the backgrounds and the way it played with comic sensibilities.

i thought Myles was great, I really bought into him as Spider-Man and the movie demonstrated how fluid the character of Spidey can be. 

The only downside was that the story as a whole wasn’t entirely compelling and many of the important elements felt glossed over. I’m mainly thinking of his Uncle and Peter Parker, but you could say Kingpin was barely fleshed out too.

It does better than most at cramming a lot in, but you still get the sense that it’s trying to do too much

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Yup, loved it. It was perfectly pitched, the visuals were simply beautiful, I loved the way it looked, the way it moved , the creativity in the backgrounds and the way it played with comic sensibilities.

i thought Myles was great, I really bought into him as Spider-Man and the movie demonstrated how fluid the character of Spidey can be. 

The only downside was that the story as a whole wasn’t entirely compelling and many of the important elements felt glossed over. I’m mainly thinking of his Uncle and Peter Parker, but you could say Kingpin was barely fleshed out too.

It does better than most at cramming a lot in, but you still get the sense that it’s trying to do too much 

I was thinking about that as well and just imagined how awesome this would have been as a 10 or 12 episode tv show. I mean you have all the pieces in place and each version of Spider Man was awesome in his or her own way

19 minutes ago, sifth said:

I was thinking about that as well and just imagined how awesome this would have been as a 10 or 12 episode tv show. I mean you have all the pieces in place and each version of Spider Man was awesome in his or her own way

Yeah would be much better as a show. I fact I was surprised when I found out it was a movie, I assumed it would be on TV.

The ‘plot’ was really just an excuse to get all these Spideys together and work as a sort of origin for Myles. To be fair most Spider-Man movies are guilty of that crime in one way or another 

Brilliant film. It is visually spectacular, they've gone totally the other way from Disney/Pixar. It looks like the most beautifully illustrated comic you've ever read.

Saw it with someone who was a little worried they wouldn't get it, but she loved it too.

I hope it slays the box office.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:52 PM, Denvek said:

The best scene in this film is the Stan Lee cameo. Couldn't have been more appropriate if they'd tried.

Properly teared up, which is extremely rare for me. I saw at least one Ditko 'cameo' too (his name in the dad's phone,) but I suspect there were others.

23 minutes ago, Jussi said:

Some people think it has already bombed. Box office has been poor for Spider-Verse here in Finland.

That's a shame, it's doing pretty well in the USA (largest December Animated Opening.) https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm

What's it up against in Finland? Is Aquaman out there yet?

Aquaman is coming this friday. Finnish audience's response to the Spider-Verse seems to be the same as in other European countries.

Quote from the Box Office Theory forums:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

This Finland opening (over 3 days) is very much in line with the rest of the foreign markets' openings, which have ranged from meh to weak. With 6 365 admissions, ITSV is not a total bomb but neither is it - even with December legs - going to be of significance even at the level of Finnish box office.

It seems like despite amazing reviews and incredible audience word of mouth (cinema score of A+!) it might be that the casual superhero movie goer just isn't feeling the vibe for seeing ITSV in theatres, at least not in the US.

For the new release movies of the weekend just gone ITSV had the biggest % drop for Monday, and the lowest % Tuesday bounce. So at least for the immediate word of mouth effect it's not been strong. Hopefully it will have a very low 2nd weekend drop and word of mouth will have people flooding, relatively, the cinemas to see ITSV. The problem with carrying that hope is that Aquaman, Mary Poppins, and Bumblebee are all storming the cinema this coming weekend, and ITSV might get trampled under that rush.

ITSV comes out here 3 January. I wonder if that might have been a better release date for the movie in the USA as well.

Its absolutely amazing, better than the trailers would hint at, one of the best superhero stories I've ever experienced. 

My 7 year old didn't handle some of the deaths well, but otherwise it was great for everyone. 

I saw this a few days ago and I was a little disappointed. The visuals (and accompanying soundtrack and atmosphere) are amazing and groundbreaking - but call me old-fashioned, I found some of it too busy and overwhelming, especially for a feature film length. The story was also a bit ho-hum and they probably could have cut a couple of the Spideys in order to concentrate and develop the others. 

It wasn't bad, and I did enjoy seeing it, but for me it didn't live up to the hype.

On 12/25/2018 at 12:40 AM, Jeor said:

I saw this a few days ago and I was a little disappointed. The visuals (and accompanying soundtrack and atmosphere) are amazing and groundbreaking - but call me old-fashioned, I found some of it too busy and overwhelming, especially for a feature film length. The story was also a bit ho-hum and they probably could have cut a couple of the Spideys in order to concentrate and develop the others. 

It wasn't bad, and I did enjoy seeing it, but for me it didn't live up to the hype.

Yeah I agree on this. I think people are going a little overboard on the movie because it does do so many things well. But the story is really its weakest aspect and it's attempting to cram a lot in.

Well, part of the story's banality is intentional - it's an origin story for a character that is largely defined by an origin story that everyone knows like the back of their hand. How do you do that origin story in a different way while also passing the torch? So yeah, the plot is not particularly a big deal because it's not a big deal. It's much less about the plot, which basically is a MacGuffin (though at least the villain's motivations are actually entirely reasonable and sympathetic this time, unlike 95% of supervillains), and far more to do with the characters and developing them. 

My wife was most struck by the character that's gotten almost no talk here - Aunt May. May has mostly been portrayed as the ultimate in innocent bystanders, who is Parker's manservant and sweet old woman to be protected from the evils of, well, everything. This May is far closer to the Q or the Alfred of Spiderman, and it works so god damn well. The little drops they gave her - her knowing that there were others, having the lair setup, coming to the door with a baseball bat to tell off the 'fans', customizing shooters for Miles, and the best one - the deadpan seething hatred of "Liv", who is presented far more as a fellow rival inventor that she despises - it made it amazing. 

This is something that it does well and effortlessly - the inclusiveness. It reminded me a lot of Fury Road and Furiosa, where she has one arm missing and it's part of her, but it doesn't define her in any particular way. It's just who she is, just like Miles and Gwen and May and Miles' parents and Aaron and Liv. It's incredibly rare to have old women doing anything in movies, much less being actually heroic. 

Archived