The Spidey-verse - have we reached critical Spidey for it's own thread?

The Anti-Targ

18 minutes ago, felice said:

I assume there was at least one other entrance, for the jeep and the plane to get in and out; much like the batmobile doesn't have to drive up the batpoles and through Wayne Manor.

The radioactive spider bothered me more; has it just been wandering around the subway for the last six years without biting anyone?

Yeah, that bugged me early on, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The idea was to replicate the 12fps common to traditional hand-drawn animation, but I don't think it translated well to the more detailed CGI animation style.

That spider has been saving its bite for a special occasion?

I had a feeling the animation was intentional and that does explain the jerkiness. It's odd as I was totally cool with how everyone was coloured in dots like in the old comics but the animation distracted me at times. However there were other times I didn't notice so it maybe depended on what happened at any given time. I think if they ironed out some of the jerkiness I'd be on board with the overall praise. I did like how the anime/looney tunes and noir spideys were all animated differently - same with the bonus scene at the end

I guess spidey 2099 could have fully fluid animation?

12 hours ago, red snow said:

While i enjoyed the animation for the most part there were many points where it seemed "jerky" to me. Not sure if this was frame-rate related but it was distracting for me. The intentionally blurry backgrounds had a similar affect on me. I'm pretty sure it was all intentional rather than lacking in skill so put it down to taste.

FWIW one of the few negative reviews I saw on Rotten Tomatoes said similar things about the animation. So at least you're not alone in being put off by it.

I figured the low frame rate had to be intentional and not only did it not bug me, I really dug the extra energy its glitchiness brought. Like any stylistic choice which breaks from the norm though it risks alienating some portion of the audience. Hopefully not too many.

I loved Jake Johnson in this too. All of the actors delivered gold, but Johnson's performance in particular brought the absolutely perfect blend of comedic goofiness and dramatic pathos for this story.

I also really dug the hip-hop element. It doesn't get much more New York than grafitti, beats and raps. And Spiderman.

Venom 2 confirmed. http://thesource.com/2019/01/09/sony-announces-venom-2-is-officially-on-the-way/

This might be old news, but I only came across it today. Looks like all the key people will be back with the possible exception of the director. 

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Venom 2 confirmed. http://thesource.com/2019/01/09/sony-announces-venom-2-is-officially-on-the-way/

This might be old news, but I only came across it today. Looks like all the key people will be back with the possible exception of the director. 

Shame they didn't lose the screenwriters too as i think that was the worst aspect of the film. I really hope they don't take the big box office as a signal to deliver more of the same because there was a lot wrong with the film. The aspect i enjoyed the most was Hardy being OTT insane and interacting with the symbiote.

10 hours ago, Davrum said:

I figured the low frame rate had to be intentional and not only did it not bug me, I really dug the extra energy its glitchiness brought. Like any stylistic choice which breaks from the norm though it risks alienating some portion of the audience. Hopefully not too many.

I loved Jake Johnson in this too. All of the actors delivered gold, but Johnson's performance in particular brought the absolutely perfect blend of comedic goofiness and dramatic pathos for this story.

I also really dug the hip-hop element. It doesn't get much more New York than grafitti, beats and raps. And Spiderman.

The animation didn't affect my enjoyment of the film but that aspect didn't work for me even if it was intentional. I guess it's a bit like how some people find high-frame rate or 3d as things their brain find iffy/not working. 

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Shame they didn't lose the screenwriters too as i think that was the worst aspect of the film. I really hope they don't take the big box office as a signal to deliver more of the same because there was a lot wrong with the film. The aspect i enjoyed the most was Hardy being OTT insane and interacting with the symbiote.

I was a little worried that the writer isn't changing, but everyone behind the camera is responsible for the movie. Who knows what was left on the cutting room floor, or whether directorial decisions were detrimental to the final product compared to the vision of the writer. A good director will tell the writer that their story (or certain scenes) is shit and demand changes. An improved story is needed to compliment the great job of all the key cast members. It is a concern that Sony lets the good box office go to their head and don't look to fix the flaws that the audience were pretty forgiving about, but won;t be 2nd time around.

That and how they get around the problem of

anyone being able to take harrelson with his ginger wig and freckles seriously. Almost everyone at the screening burst into laughter upon seeing him. It was part of the charm of the film but I'm not sure that will work with him on screen throughout the sequel

Into the Spiderverse now over $300 million worldwide. I wonder what Sony expected for box office revenue from this? With a $90 million budget they must have been expecting something around $300 million. Helpful that 50% of the revenue is coming from the USA, which is probably the best market in terms of box office returns to the studio.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think it’s safe to say Sony there’s a strong chance Sony will make a sequel. So if/when that comes about what Spider-Man are you looking foreword to seeing?

They've already announced a sequel, and it's going to be primarily about Spider-Gwen, which is fucking awesome.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

They've already announced a sequel, and it's going to be primarily about Spider-Gwen, which is fucking awesome.

I thought spider-gwen was getting her own film? Still be cool to see her again in spider-verse. 

The odd thing is hailee steinfeld could play the live-action version as well as the voice of animated Gwen. Although maybe I'm getting mixed up with Silk regarding live-action spider spin offs.

Apparently they're doing both- a sequel to SV and an all girls spin off. 

Also SV is now the best selling Sony animation of all time. Not a huge bar mind you, but it definitely is considered a smash success. 

I’m glad we’re seeing some more experimentation with Spider-man onscreen. For too long Spider-man has both been on TV and movies been stuck in a purgatory state of Peter Parker’s school days.  I’m kinda hoping it would inspire Marvel to let others take up the mantle of as well established characters. Like maybe have someone besides Steve Rodgers be the captain. 

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wasn’t the post credit teaser the Spider-Man 2099?

I think he'll definitely be a part of the sequel-maybe not the lead but as big a player as memtor spider-man and gwen.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Apparently they're doing both- a sequel to SV and an all girls spin off. 

Also SV is now the best selling Sony animation of all time. Not a huge bar mind you, but it definitely is considered a smash success. 

Sony must be very happy with themselves as it was clear they really wanted a large spidey franchise and now they have venom and the animated side working (venom needs some tinkering but is financially working). The Marvel studios sharing with Peter Parker has clearly rubbed off on them. I just hope they don't get greedy/overconfident and end the sharing with Peter Parker. Seems like they currently have the best of both worlds and not being able to use tom Holland spidey is actually encouraging them to develop the other Spidey characters which is a good thing for viewers and representation. Maybe the comics long term plan with the flurry of non white male characters in the last 10 years was as much about having options for the movies to explore as trying to reach new audiences in comics? 

Archived