[Spoilers] Shadow (baby) warriors and Syrax

Daendrew

"As others fled, the story went the one-handed prophet stood fearless and alone against the ravening beast, calling on the Seven for succor, til the Warrior himself took form, thirty feet tall. In his hand was a black blade made of smoke that turned to steel as he swung it, clawing the head of Syrax from her body. And so the tale was told, even by Septon Eudtace in his account of the dark days and so the singers sang for many years thereafter." - Fire and Blood page 523

Could Gildayn be describing a very large shadow baby killing Syrax here?

Just now, Lord Varys said:

I'd rather think he described the Warrior himself slaying a dragon there...

That is the only language they would have in Westeros for a assasin made of shadow.

We saw Renly die of this same exact thing. The sword pierced through him armor.

5 hours ago, Daendrew said:

That is the only language they would have in Westeros for a assasin made of shadow.

We saw Renly die of this same exact thing. The sword pierced through him armor.

Yes, it did remind me of the shadow killing Renly. If you recall the description of the shadow beneath Storm's End, it was also said to be of abnormal sizem

There are other hints that may point to a genuine supernatural occurrence being reported third hand and reinterpreted. For one, it involves the otherwise unexplained death of a mature and free dragon. It also involves a fanatical religious figure preaching about doom and destruction. Which is call back to Melissandre. 

17 hours ago, Daendrew said:

It's an interesting possibility, according to what Melisandre says about shadows (and she knows some little things about them !) :

"Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall." (Jon VI, ADWD)

and :

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them.(Melisandre, ADWD)

2 minutes ago, GloubieBoulga said:

It's an interesting possibility, according to what Melisandre says about shadows (and she knows some little things about them !) :

"Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall." (Jon VI, ADWD)

and :

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them.(Melisandre, ADWD)

Does resurrected Jon have any lifefire left to cast a shadowbaby? Maybe that's how they kill an ice dragon.

14 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I never saw it. Can you point me to a clip of the Id monster? 

Can't find a high quality version, but this one shows one of the forms of the monster:

And in this one Leslie Nielsen explains its nature:

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 1:49 AM, Daendrew said:

I had the very same thought when reading. It reminded me of Renly's death too. However, I couldn't figure out who might have been the shadow binder at the time. Initially, I thought about Alys Rivers: she was pregnant but, then, she delivered a real baby in Harrenhal. So my next choice would be Misarya, but I have no strong evidence for it, except her prediction for that night (not much).

Archived