Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daendrew

[Spoilers] Shadow (baby) warriors and Syrax

Recommended Posts

Quote

"As others fled, the story went the one-handed prophet stood fearless and alone against the ravening beast, calling on the Seven for succor, til the Warrior himself took form, thirty feet tall. In his hand was a black blade made of smoke that turned to steel as he swung it, clawing the head of Syrax from her body. And so the tale was told, even by Septon Eudtace in his account of the dark days and so the singers sang for many years thereafter." - Fire and Blood page 523

1

Could Gildayn be describing a very large shadow baby killing Syrax here?

Edited by Daendrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather think he described the Warrior himself slaying a dragon there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Varys said:

I'd rather think he described the Warrior himself slaying a dragon there...

That is the only language they would have in Westeros for a assasin made of shadow.

We saw Renly die of this same exact thing. The sword pierced through him armor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daendrew said:

That is the only language they would have in Westeros for a assasin made of shadow.

We saw Renly die of this same exact thing. The sword pierced through him armor.

Yes, it did remind me of the shadow killing Renly. If you recall the description of the shadow beneath Storm's End, it was also said to be of abnormal sizem

There are other hints that may point to a genuine supernatural occurrence being reported third hand and reinterpreted. For one, it involves the otherwise unexplained death of a mature and free dragon. It also involves a fanatical religious figure preaching about doom and destruction. Which is call back to Melissandre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That scene reminds me of the Id monster in Forbidden Planet (IIRC GRRM is a fan). Maybe just an easter egg or GRRM will explore this further in ASOIAF.

Edited by Tucu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Daendrew said:

Could Gildayn be describing a very large shadow baby killing Syrax here?

It's an interesting possibility, according to what Melisandre says about shadows (and she knows some little things about them !) :

"Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall." (Jon VI, ADWD)

and :

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them.(Melisandre, ADWD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GloubieBoulga said:

It's an interesting possibility, according to what Melisandre says about shadows (and she knows some little things about them !) :

"Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall." (Jon VI, ADWD)

and :

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them.(Melisandre, ADWD)

Does resurrected Jon have any lifefire left to cast a shadowbaby? Maybe that's how they kill an ice dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tucu said:

That scene reminds me of the Id monster in Forbidden Planet (IIRC GRRM is a fan). Maybe just an easter egg or GRRM will explore this further in ASOIAF.

The old movie? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The old movie? 

Yes, there is a video on Youtube where he talks for 20 minutes about the movie and its influence on SciFi

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Yes, there is a video on Youtube where he talks for 20 minutes about the movie and its influence on SciFi

 

I never saw it. Can you point me to a clip of the Id monster? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I never saw it. Can you point me to a clip of the Id monster? 

Can't find a high quality version, but this one shows one of the forms of the monster:

And in this one Leslie Nielsen explains its nature:

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by Tucu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 1:49 AM, Daendrew said:

Could Gildayn be describing a very large shadow baby killing Syrax here?

I had the very same thought when reading. It reminded me of Renly's death too. However, I couldn't figure out who might have been the shadow binder at the time. Initially, I thought about Alys Rivers: she was pregnant but, then, she delivered a real baby in Harrenhal. So my next choice would be Misarya, but I have no strong evidence for it, except her prediction for that night (not much).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×