Question regarding Clash of Kings and Qarth

Lady Rhodes

A random thought came into my head while rereading Dance, and I am looking for someone who may be able to help me.  I recently moved and my copy of Clash is buried in boxes.

My question: Was Euron in Qarth the same time as Dany?

Facts that we know:
Xaro tells Dany in Dance that Pyat Pree and the Warlocks went after her a fortnight after she left.   Of course, we cannot count on Xaro being exactly forthcoming with all information.
Aeron Greyjoy's Winds chapter indicates that Pyat Pree is on Silence.
Euron acquired the Valyrian horn and possibly, Valyrian steel armor.
Euron contracted with a FM to kill Balon.

I want to check Dany's Qarth chapters to see if there are any indications of ships, mutes/thralls, man with an eye patch, etc.  Can anyone help me with this?

I don' think there is much, but this might be Euron's pseudonym:

”It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years.”

Urrathon been the name of an ironborn king:

Upon the death of King Urragon III Greyiron (Urragon the Bald), his younger sons hurriedly convened a kingsmoot whilst their elder brother Torgon was raiding up the Mander, thinking that one of them would be chosen to wear the driftwood crown. To their dismay, the captains and kings chose Urrathon Goodbrother of Great Wyk instead. The first thing the new king did was command that the sons of the old king be put to death. For that, and for the savage cruelty he oft displayed during his two years as king, Urrathon IV Goodbrother is remembered in history as Badbrother.

8 minutes ago, Tucu said:

house of Urrathon Night-Walker

This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.  Also, this interestingly sounds like someone affiliated with the Long Night/White Walkers/Others.

Is it possible that Euron has set up house in Qarth as his homebase, since he was exiled from the Iron Islands?

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I want to check Dany's Qarth chapters to see if there are any indications of ships, mutes/thralls, man with an eye patch, etc.  Can anyone help me with this?

No, there is no such a guy in Qarth that matches that description. The only thing is that Urrathon who sounds very ironbornish. And btw, Euron might have a glass candle too.

However, in Astapor a guy claiming to be a Corsair King wanted to buy Unsullied, few days before Dany showed up. The same Corsair King raided later Tall Tree Town in the Summer Islands. My bet is he was Euron.

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

I don' think there is much, but this might be Euron's pseudonym:

Urrathon been the name of an ironborn king:

I like it. 

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

That is my guess. Given what we know he did to his brothers, it makes sense if he took the name from Urrathon Badbrother.

I like it a lot. 

What does it mean, though? 

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Was Euron in Qarth the same time as Dany?

Very observant of you, and a great question! Perhaps Euron picked up the pieces after Dany burned up the House of the Undying? Yet, if Euron was ahead of her in getting to Astapor, why? (the 'how' seems simple enough; comparing a raiding ship's speed with three heavily-laden cogs). Why wouldn't Euron intercept Daenerys, little dragons and all, at sea?

16 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

However, in Astapor a guy claiming to be a Corsair King wanted to buy Unsullied, few days before Dany showed up. The same Corsair King raided later Tall Tree Town in the Summer Islands. My bet is he was Euron.

Oooh, very interesting.  My thoughts have always been that Euron had to be somewhere close enough to have an idea of what was going on (I am sure part of the reason he hired the FM to kill Balon when he did was the chaos that was engulfing Westeros).  And perhaps....

26 minutes ago, zandru said:

Yet, if Euron was ahead of her in getting to Astapor, why?

Maybe the Unsullied were Plan A for getting Balon killed, and FM was plan B

26 minutes ago, zandru said:

Why wouldn't Euron intercept Daenerys, little dragons

To give them time to grow? But knowledge of dragons existing may have prompted him to go to Valyria or wherever he got the horn if you go with the assumption he is fibbing about Valyria to sound more prestigious than he really is. He has no reason to get Valyrian steel armor or the dragon binding horn if he was not aware of the dragons. 

44 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Euron might have a glass candle too

Which would connect him possibly with Shadowbinders and Quaithe.  I definitely need to find my copy to reread.  If, upon rereading, we can come to the conclusion that Euron was in Qarth at the same time Dany was, this might give us some indication on what he was up to during his time in exile. 

And, for what it is worth, I don't think Euron and Daario are the same person.

10 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

To give [the dragons] time to grow? But knowledge of dragons existing may have prompted him to go to Valyria or wherever he got the horn if you go with the assumption he is fibbing about Valyria to sound more prestigious than he really is. He has no reason to get Valyrian steel armor or the dragon binding horn if he was not aware of the dragons.

Letting the dragons grow is a bad idea. BAD! Knowing what dragons are, getting control of them as early as possible, gaining their trust and training them is the smart thing to do. Look what happened to poor Quentyn Martell in his attempt to ride an older, more fully grown dragon.

I'm not sure what the order of Euron's voyages would be. Did he visit ancient Valyria on his way to Qarth, or on his way back to Pyk? Euron would have already known of the dragons by the time he reached Qarth, because news spreads - and if he had a glass candle, that. As for picking up Valyrian steel armor and a dragon-binding horn, who wouldn't want such things, regardless whether or not they knew of the existance of dragons.

Note that I've got no answers, just more questions!

48 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

What does it mean, though? 

Not sure, but it would make him a long time collector of rare valyrian artifacts: glass candles, dragon egg, valyrian steel armor and later a dragon horn.

18 minutes ago, zandru said:

Letting the dragons grow is a bad idea. BAD! Knowing what dragons are, getting control of them as early as possible, gaining their trust and training them is the smart thing to do. Look what happened to poor Quentyn Martell in his attempt to ride an older, more fully grown dragon.

Oh, I don't disagree with you! But would Euron disagree with you? He may say that small dragons are useless. 

I did a bit further google searching to see if I could find anything else regarding this, and I found a reddit feed regarding this as well.  They also pointed out a couple of more bits that are interesting:
1) In Moqorro's vision, he sees a "tall twisted thing with one black eye and ten tentacles".  Tall and Twisted are the same descriptors used by Samwell at the Citadel in reference to the Glass Candles.
2) We hear from someone at the Citadel, in speaking with Sam, that users of glass candles can put visions into people's dreams.
3) Dany had a dream about Hizdahr's lips being blue and bruised.  The same imagery is used twice in Feast in regards to Euron.

It took me forever to get that to just be a link and not imbed.  I put it in the spoiler bar so it could at least be collapsible!

In Dany's vision as well, a certain body part of Hizdahr's is as cold as ice.    I also read that Euron is exiled around 297 AC, around the same time as the Others reappearing.  The other person that we know to work with Glass Candles is Quaithe.  I am going off topic in my own thread! If Euron is tied to the resurgence of the Others, that would make the Iron Islands plot a lot more relevant, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

A random thought came into my head while rereading Dance, and I am looking for someone who may be able to help me.  I recently moved and my copy of Clash is buried in boxes.

My question: Was Euron in Qarth the same time as Dany?

It's not impossible, but Xaro in ADWD tells Dany this;

"Not all your enemies are in the Yellow City. Beware men with cold hearts and blue lips. You had not been gone from Qarth a fortnight when Pyat Pree set out with three of his fellow warlocks, to seek for you in Pentos." (Dany III, ADWD 16)

Pyat Pree would have been looking for passage and if Euron made it to Qarth, I think it would have been after Dany left. The information about her and the dragons would have come from him.

According to the official app, which counts as semi-canon, Pyat Pree and his fellow warlocks were captured on route while trying to find Dany. 

With three others, [Pyat] sets sail from Qarth, but the ship is captured by Euron Crow's Eye. One of the warlocks makes threats against Greyjoy. Euron kills him and starves the other warlocks until they are forced to eat their dead companion. The survivors are now Euron's captives, working his will.

(Pyat Pree entry)

2 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

And, for what it is worth, I don't think Euron and Daario are the same person.

I thought Euron was Mance and Daario was Arthur Dayne? It’s really hard to keep track of these though...

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

According to the official app, which counts as semi-canon, Pyat Pree and his fellow warlocks were captured on route while trying to find Dany. 

With three others, [Pyat] sets sail from Qarth, but the ship is captured by Euron Crow's Eye. One of the warlocks makes threats against Greyjoy. Euron kills him and starves the other warlocks until they are forced to eat their dead companion. The survivors are now Euron's captives, working his will.

(Pyat Pree entry)

I should clarify; I don’t dispute this. I only mean to suggest the possibility that Euron was in Qarth as well. Euron could have left afterwards and captured or he could have been on the ship itself and seized it once away from Qarth

Rodrik Harlaw expressed his skepticism of Euron ever sailing to Valyria, with his response being very telling of this being a fabrication

I'd say Fire & Blood conclusively lets us know Euron didn't go there, with Balerion & the Targaryen girl most likely visiting, and what we gather it being similar to a living hell on earth

2 hours ago, lrresistable said:

Rodrik Harlaw expressed his skepticism of Euron ever sailing to Valyria, with his response being very telling of this being a fabrication

I'm with you there. I think Euron's lying. That armor could have easily come from Qohor. I could see him sailing up the Rhoyne into Dagger Lake, making some pirate allies, and going to Qohor from there. He's already playing the ironborn like fools, don't see why he wouldn't lie to them also. I really have no idea what to say about Quarth and don't know how much abroad reaving he did before his exile. Something tells me we'll be seeing more of Quarth and maybe get to the bottom of this Urrathon Night Walker. hope we'll see some phantom tortoises too.

As for the warlocks, I'm not completely sold that Euron captured them in the first place. I think it's possible he made a deal with Pyatt Pree; Pree  just gave him some of his warlocks to use for his own messed up ends in exchange for something. When the warlock in The Forsaken was saying Pree over and over, i think he was cursing Pree for selling him out. 

Not saying Euron isn't a huge threat, but I don't think he has the understanding or discipline to comprehend the magic he claims to be using. He definitely believes his own bullshit, but lets see how things go when an uncontrollable kracken appears. unless he gets the horn by then.  

Another hint about Urrathon Night-Walker. The night-walkers are a type of sorcerers that operate in Asshai. So we have a link from the Iron Islands to Asshai. From the world book:

The ships come nonetheless. For gold, for gems, and for other treasures, for certain things spoken of only in whispers, things that cannot be found anywhere upon the earth save in the black bazaars of Asshai.

The dark city by the Shadow is a city steeped in sorcery. Warlocks, wizards, alchemists, moonsingers, red priests, black alchemists, necromancers, aeromancers, pyromancers, bloodmages, torturers, inquisitors, poisoners, godswives, night-walkers, shapechangers, worshippers of the Black Goat and the Pale Child and the Lion of Night, all find welcome in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, where nothing is forbidden. Here they are free to practice their spells without restraint or censure, conduct their obscene rites, and fornicate with demons if that is their desire.

Archived