The Four Battles in TWoW

Euron III Greyjoy

I'm sure there will be more then four battles in the entirety of TWoW, but so far we know with certainty that there are going to be four battles. Which of the battles are you looking forward to the most? 

1. The Battle in the Ice 
  2. The Battle of Fire 
  3. The Siege of Storm's End
  4. The Battle of the Mander

Despite looking forward to all of them, (The Siege of Storm's End less so then the others to be completely honest) I have to go with number 2, the Battle of Fire. From the Barristan, Tyrion, and Victarion sample chapters this battle just seems so gory, messy, hectic, and overall epic. 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:20 AM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm sure there will be more then four battles in the entirety of TWoW, but so far we know with certainty that there are going to be four battles. Which of the battles are you looking forward to the most? 

1. The Battle in the Ice 
  2. The Battle of Fire 
  3. The Siege of Storm's End
  4. The Battle of the Mander

Despite looking forward to all of them, (The Siege of Storm's End less so then the others to be completely honest) I have to go with number 2, the Battle of Fire. From the Barristan, Tyrion, and Victarion sample chapters this battle just seems so gory, messy, hectic, and overall epic. 

Just to correct you a little. I don't think there will be a big battle at the Mander. The big battle will be at the Redwyne straits. The ironmen are already raiding the Mander.

Now, if you ask me, I'm looking forward to all of them and with the exception of siege of the Storm's End, all have the uncertainty of magic elements.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

Just to correct you a little. I don't think there will be a big battle at the Mander. The big battle will be at the Redwyne straits. The ironmen are already raiding the Mander.

Now, if you ask me, I'm looking forward to all of them and with the exception of siege of the Storm's End, all have the uncertainty of magic elements.

Ah I see, I was going to call it "The Battle for Oldtown" but I looked it up, and apparently lots of people where calling it "The Battle of the Mander" so I just went with it. 

Yeah I'm also looking forward to all of them besides "The Siege of Storm's End". Its not like I'm actively not looking forward to it, but compared to the other three it is kind of meh. Aegon and Connington have only been around for a few chapters in one book, and there is no-one at Storm's End whose well-being I particularly care about either. 

same here with Storm's End. But I am looking forward to all of those other battles. I've heard the upcoming Ironborn battle referred to as the Battle of Blood. It's not so much the battles themselves I'm looking forward to, but the aftermaths. Lets say Euron wins, then what will happen to Oldtown? I'm imagining horrible stuff. after the battle with the Freys, what'll happen at Winterfell? Then there's dealing with whatever's left of the Ghiscari Empire after the Battle of Fire. Something tells me they need to just be destroyed. 

1. Winterfell/Ice.

Frey pie. Great Northern Conspiracy. Tiny Mormont looms large. Stannis. Theon. Asha. Plus the possibility of how/if Jon, Mel, Bran, Davos, Sansa, and/or Arya get involved. 

2. Fire/Mereen. 

Barristan is bold again. Tyrion. Dany. Dothraki. Victarion. Volantis fleet. Marwyn. The Horn. A white dragon for Tyrion? The end of Slavers Bay for real this time. Dany becomes a queen for real.

Big gap.

3. Storms End/Soutlh/KL?

Young Grif, JonCon, Arianne. Perhaps Cersei at some point. Or a Tyrell. Only one is gonna be lefylt when Dany arrives.

4. Oldtown.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, Mooncalf said:

It's not so much the battles themselves I'm looking forward to, but the aftermaths. 

I'm looking forward to both. In the Oldtown battle I'm looking forward to see how Euron deals with the Hightower and Redwyne ships, but then I'm also interested to see what he does to Oldtown when he succeeds. Does he want the Blood & Fire book? Does he know about the maesters conspiracy and plans on killing them? What will Sam do? There are just so many questions. 

25 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm looking forward to both. In the Oldtown battle I'm looking forward to see how Euron deals with the Hightower and Redwyne ships, but then I'm also interested to see what he does to Oldtown when he succeeds. Does he want the Blood & Fire book? Does he know about the maesters conspiracy and plans on killing them? What will Sam do? There are just so many questions. 

The battle of oldtown ends up being the most interesting. There are a lot of misteries involved. Between the secrets in oldtown, euron's magic "abilities" to get rid of the redwine fleet, sam the faceless man and oberin's daughter objectives and actions during the battle and whatever euron plans to do next (is he going after the dragon horn?).

The other 3 battles  are kind of the opening act for the real action. The battle of fire we know a lot of what will happen and the more interesting thing seems to be how barristan will deal with the aftermath of the battle (the pale death will be active in meereen again and his unwated visitors). With a possible greater battle against the voantenne fleet that is coming.

The battle of ice is by far the most uncertain. Literally anything can happen but as I think stannis won t conquer winterfell I am most interested in what is happening in the rest of the north.

The battle of storms end is once again 2 battles (one to conquer it and another to defend it from the army sent from KL). And while knowing how stoms end will fall is interesting the next battle is meh. However the reactions from KL seem pretty interesting.

32 minutes ago, divica said:

The battle of oldtown ends up being the most interesting. There are a lot of misteries involved. Between the secrets in oldtown, euron's magic "abilities" to get rid of the redwine fleet, sam the faceless man and oberin's daughter objectives and actions during the battle and whatever euron plans to do next (is he going after the dragon horn?).

The other 3 battles  are kind of the opening act for the real action. The battle of fire we know a lot of what will happen and the more interesting thing seems to be how barristan will deal with the aftermath of the battle (the pale death will be active in meereen again and his unwated visitors). With a possible greater battle against the voantenne fleet that is coming.

The battle of ice is by far the most uncertain. Literally anything can happen but as I think stannis won t conquer winterfell I am most interested in what is happening in the rest of the north.

The battle of storms end is once again 2 battles (one to conquer it and another to defend it from the army sent from KL). And while knowing how stoms end will fall is interesting the next battle is meh. However the reactions from KL seem pretty interesting.

Yeah I suppose overall the Battle for Oldtown is the most interesting. I'm looking forward to the Battle of Fire the most because I feel like its just going to be so hectic, plus we hare going to have three POVs going one during the battle, possibly four if Daenerys shows up. 

For the Battle of Ice I like the theory that Stannis is going to lure the Frey soldiers, who have no idea what the terrain of the North is like, and are getting led by an idiot according to Stannis, out onto the iced over lake to let them drown. I do have a bias towards the goings-on of the North though, because Jon Snow is my favourite character. 

12 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Yeah I suppose overall the Battle for Oldtown is the most interesting. I'm looking forward to the Battle of Fire the most because I feel like its just going to be so hectic, plus we hare going to have three POVs going one during the battle, possibly four if Daenerys shows up. 

For the Battle of Ice I like the theory that Stannis is going to lure the Frey soldiers, who have no idea what the terrain of the North is like, and are getting led by an idiot according to Stannis, out onto the iced over lake to let them drown. I do have a bias towards the goings-on of the North though, because Jon Snow is my favourite character. 

Have you read the sample chapters? we have 5 chapters or so about the battle therefore what is missing is mostly the end of the fight.

And while I agree that stannis will defeat the freys I think that he will be defeated before conquering winterfell. But I am very curious about what will happen to theon, asha and if the northmen will desert stannis before his doom.

53 minutes ago, divica said:

Have you read the sample chapters? we have 5 chapters or so about the battle therefore what is missing is mostly the end of the fight.

And while I agree that stannis will defeat the freys I think that he will be defeated before conquering winterfell. But I am very curious about what will happen to theon, asha and if the northmen will desert stannis before his doom.

Yeah I've read the sample chapters, they're what got me so hyped for that battle. We have Barristan charging in at the front to take out one of the catapults, Tyrion trying to convince the Second Sons to join Daenerys, and Victarion preparing to use the dragon horn. 

I really have no clue on what will happen with Stannis once this initial attack from the Freys happens. I feel like the Manderly forces that Roose sent out with the Freys will join with Stannis, and maybe there will be some sort of conflict in Winterfell so that Stannis won't have to attack the castle. 

3 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm hoping Garlan Tyrell takes the Sheild Islands and becomes a factor in the Oldtown siege. I just see no way Oldtown is not going to get completely destroyed unless someone else joins the picture. This would of course leave Highgarden mostly open to attack. Maybe Jon will take the opportunity. I'm trying to predict whether he'll go straight for King's Landing, or take out a place like Highgarden or Casterly Rock. But I'm really looking forward to any Same/Aeron chapters accounting Oldtown

1 hour ago, Mooncalf said:

I'm hoping Garlan Tyrell takes the Sheild Islands and becomes a factor in the Oldtown siege. I just see no way Oldtown is not going to get completely destroyed unless someone else joins the picture. This would of course leave Highgarden mostly open to attack. Maybe Jon will take the opportunity. I'm trying to predict whether he'll go straight for King's Landing, or take out a place like Highgarden or Casterly Rock. But I'm really looking forward to any Same/Aeron chapters accounting Oldtown

I agree, though if the whole giant maester conspiracy is true, I cant help but think it would be satisfying if they got destroyed by Euron, especially considering they try to cover up and destroy magic, whilst Euron is magic user. 

1 hour ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I agree, though if the whole giant maester conspiracy is true, I cant help but think it would be satisfying if they got destroyed by Euron, especially considering they try to cover up and destroy magic, whilst Euron is magic user. 

But isn t oldtown also the seat of power of house hightower?

Because if it is then euron would have to kill a lot of people to reach the citadel and destroy it. Even if he is victorious at sea the hightowers should have enough people to defend oldtown. I think if euron can enter the citadel he will have to atract the hightower army someplace and infiltrate the citadel without anyone knowing.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:28 AM, YouKnowNothingJonSnow said:

Good perspectives. You guys have livened up Oldtown for me.

I think the fleet from Volantis will turn on the slavers & fight on Dany's side, against the Ironborn if necessary. Thoughts?

I'm not sure, Daenerys wants to abolish slavery, and Volantis runs on slavery. 

I am not necessarily looking forward to the battle aspect of the Battle of Oldtown but more the why - I want to know what they are after.

The Battle of the Ice and the Battle of Slaver's Bay are heavily hyped and I cannot wait.  I've been reading some different analysis of the Battle of the Ice and I think it is likely that it won't be in Winterfell but the Crofter's Village.  I think it is telling that we have been told a few times that the lakes are riddled with holes due to overfishing, and I think that will come into play.

Storm's End - I am eh.

I think there are hints in the POV chapters as well that we are going to get at least two other battles or skirmishes - the Battle of Dorne (Aegon vs Daenerys, I think) and something breaking out in the Vale.

6 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm not sure, Daenerys wants to abolish slavery, and Volantis runs on slavery. 

That’s kind of the point I think. Many expect slave revolts from volantis, and slaves outnumber the free population. They also row the fleet iirc

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That’s kind of the point I think. Many expect slave revolts from volantis, and slaves outnumber the free population. They also row the fleet iirc

Good point, the slavers from Volantis would have to be stupid if they didn't consider that as a thing that might happen.  xD

6 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I am not necessarily looking forward to the battle aspect of the Battle of Oldtown but more the why - I want to know what they are after.

The Battle of the Ice and the Battle of Slaver's Bay are heavily hyped and I cannot wait.  I've been reading some different analysis of the Battle of the Ice and I think it is likely that it won't be in Winterfell but the Crofter's Village.  I think it is telling that we have been told a few times that the lakes are riddled with holes due to overfishing, and I think that will come into play.

Storm's End - I am eh.

I think there are hints in the POV chapters as well that we are going to get at least two other battles or skirmishes - the Battle of Dorne (Aegon vs Daenerys, I think) and something breaking out in the Vale.

As far as the Oldtown battle goes, I doubt it will actually be much of a "battle" so to speak, I'm picturing more of a one-sided slaughter, at least when it comes to the Hightower and Redwyne ships. Changing the subject ever so slightly, I don't know how it will happen, but I feel like the Valyrian Steel armor has to be used against the Others at some point, whether it be in TWoW or ADoS. 

The Battle of Fire looks interesting, most of the sample chapters that have been released take place just before, or just at the start of the battle. It looks like its going to be absolutely chaotic. 

I feel like I have mapped out the Crofters Village part of the Battle of Ice, I just have no idea what will happen after that. Maybe there will be some kind of mutiny inside the walls of Winterfell. Overall I feel like with the amount of content that GRRM has to cram into TWoW, this battle should be over relatively quickly. Without sounding like a hater, plot-wise I see no need for the Boltons and the Freys (at least the ones in the North) to live for much longer. 

I agree that the Battle of Storm's End is pretty meh. I personally wouldn't consider it to be a major battle, especially considering there are no characters I particularly care about on either side of that battle. 

I think the Vale will be the Kingmakers. They have been teased to be some of the best soldiers in Westeros, plus they still have their full fighting force thanks to staying out of the War of the Five Kings. 

Archived