Did Tywin commit suicide by proxy?

Angel Eyes

So at the end of Season 4, Tywin is on the privy, which is unlocked. He's unarmed as well. Plus, he's had a very bad day; Cersei's confirmed her affair with Jaime, that Robert's "children" are really Jaime's and threatens to reveal the truth if Tywin makes her marry Loras. He has no legacy, no reason for living anymore and is just waiting for someone to kill him, which happened to be Tyrion, so it’s possible he deliberately said something that would provoke Tyrion into killing him. Besides, it just seems uncharacteristic for Tywin to just leave a privy door unlocked like that.

Over the years my perception of ASoIaF and GRRM has changed. My current view is that he has always been a screenwriter with a knack for creating scenes (moments, pictures) that soar when visualized. The Tower of Joy fight (which reminds me of the opening showdown from "Once upon a Time in the West"), the red wedding, ... , and this one. Which was also created for the last sentence of that chapter in the books.

What has become obvious, especially in the later seasons, that it becomes difficult to connect the standout scenes in a meaningful way.

Well, it's his private privy, on his own rooms. Of course it's unlocked, and of course he is unarmed. All of this is absolutely normal.

Tywin's most significant trait is his pride. This was was moved him to annihilate the Reynes, to resign as Hand, to attack the Riverlands, etc. So if he ever decided to commit suicide, we can be absolutely sure that he wouldn't orchestrate it so that he would be found in a privy, with his pants down and smelling of shit, and with a lowborn whore strangled in his bed with his chain of office.

• 1 month later...

Why would he lock the door to his own private privy, in his own private room?  xD

I don't think "committing suicide" is something that Tywin would ever do, it just isn't in his nature. He just probably wasn't expecting Tyrion to actually have the balls to shoot him. He's failed to realize Tyrion's potential his whole life, I don't see why he would start there. 

Archived