Baelon The Brave as King

On 2/3/2019 at 2:50 PM, Ellaena said:

I think Baelon was a pretty decent lad from the little we've seen of him. 

I wouldn't judge him too harshly on the Vaegon and Viserra incidents. I'm sure he saw the first one as a funny but harmless incident, since his childhood with Aemon and Alyssa was represented by some healthy competition. Not that I think it wasn't meant to shame Vaegon a little bit, but I don't think the text implies his intentions were hateful. 

As for the Viserra incident, he clearly did not want to take another wife, and she was a 15 year old girl who showed up in his bed naked and very, very drunk. He had to get the help of a KG and two maids to get her back to her rooms but there's no indication that he was impolite to her. He just refused her advances. 

The information we get about him as Hand and the admiration I see he had for his sister and wife as a fighter and a woman suggest to me that he would have been an alright king, maybe even great if given the right circumstances. I also wonder if Daemon would have turned out differently had his father lived longer. 

I also liked the detail of his boys being the only babies we hear about who get a dragon flight so early. If I was a badass dragon rider like Alyssa, I would also want to get my babies used to dragons as early as possible.

Interesting, I agree with you there about Vaegon and Viserra incidents. On Daemon, tbf, the lad was twenty when his father died, so perhaps his personality was already set by then?

28 minutes ago, VVSINGOFTHECROSS said:

Interesting, I agree with you there about Vaegon and Viserra incidents. On Daemon, tbf, the lad was twenty when his father died, so perhaps his personality was already set by then?

It would have been really great to learn anything more about Baelon's relationship with his sons and how Viserys and Daemon got along in their childhood and youth, before and after their father became Heir Apparent to the Iron Throne.

It is repeatedly mentioned that Viserys I had fond memories of Daemon the youth and of their childhood together, but George never adds depth to any of that.

This makes Daemon Targaryen one of the more shallow characters of FaB since we know literally nothing about his childhood and youth.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:35 AM, Lord Varys said:

It would have been really great to learn anything more about Baelon's relationship with his sons and how Viserys and Daemon got along in their childhood and youth, before and after their father became Heir Apparent to the Iron Throne.

It is repeatedly mentioned that Viserys I had fond memories of Daemon the youth and of their childhood together, but George never adds depth to any of that.

This makes Daemon Targaryen one of the more shallow characters of FaB since we know literally nothing about his childhood and youth.

For sure, I do want to see how the loss of their mother so early affected both boys, and whether they'd have come out differently had Alyssa survived

Archived