[spoiler] The Artwork

Lord Varys

What portraits/scenes did you like? Any comments.

And I'd like to know who the hell the guy with the sword is on the picture of Aegon's funeral. Is that supposed to be Aenys or Maegor? Maegor eventually gets the sword, but Aenys gives it to him, and if I'm not mistaken then the guy wears the Conqueror's crown there, so it should be Aenys - also, the guy doesn't seem to be as massively built as Maegor, does he?

Maegor's death scene is way too cheesy, Mushroom looks like he's farting on Viserys I in the picture featuring the two of them with a young Rhaenyra, and adult Aegon III looks a bit too Hamlet-y for my tastes. Love the portraits of Aenys, Maegor, and Aegon II, who looks like he's trying way too hard to look kingly. Haven't seen all the artwork yet though so I'll probably post more of my thoughts later.

4 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Maegor's death scene is way too cheesy, Mushroom looks like he's farting on Viserys I in the picture featuring the two of them with a young Rhaenyra, and adult Aegon III looks a bit too Hamlet-y for my tastes. Love the portraits of Aenys, Maegor, and Aegon II, who looks like he's trying way too hard to look kingly. Haven't seen all the artwork yet though so I'll probably post more of my thoughts later.

I think that's intentional. Being part of the jokes and all. Those court jester were not exactly intellectuals...

Any thoughts on the guy in the Aegon's funeral picture?

14 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Sucks that we get no pictures of Jaehaerys's daughters and just one of Alyssa Velaryon.

Two of Alyssa. One with the heads and hands, but she is also on the coronation of Jaehaerys I picture.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Two of Alyssa. One with the heads and hands, but she is also on the coronation of Jaehaerys I picture.

True. It's interesting that she's wearing a headdress in the first one since unlike the RL Middle Ages Westerosi women don't generally cover their hair.

My favourites are:

• Aemond is chasing after Lucerys on Vhagar
  • Daemon jumping off his dragon to kill Aemond
  • Young Aegon III talking to Cregan Stark
  • Daenaera Velaryon being presented to Aegon III
  • Aegon III showing up with his Kingsguard and Sandoq the Shadow to dismiss his regents
  • Jaehaerys and Alysanne's marriage on Dragonstone
  • Orys Baratheon VS Argilac Durrandon
  • Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys sitting the Iron Throne

I think my favorites are Daemon attacking Aemond, Aerea in her last moments, and the portrait of Cregan Stark and Aly Blackwood. There may be a few others.

However, I would also like to express some disappointment with the artwork. Not the quality, which is fine, but for some of the pics, it seems that the artist didn't pay attention to the text. There's a difference between artistic license and drawing the wrong thing. For example, in the pic where Aemond chases Lucaerys, the person on the smaller dragon has silver hair, while the one on the larger dragon has dark hair, and it should be the other way around. Stuff like this bugs me.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

However, I would also like to express some disappointment with the artwork. Not the quality, which is fine, but for some of the pics, it seems that the artist didn't pay attention to the text. There's a difference between artistic license and drawing the wrong thing. For example, in the pic where Aemond chases Lucaerys, the person on the smaller dragon has silver hair, while the one on the larger dragon has dark hair, and it should be the other way around. Stuff like this bugs me.

I also noticed an error for the artwork of one of my favorite scenes, where Lord Alyn "flamboyantly" reveals Prince Viserys and Larra to Aegon III and Daenaera. As a Velaryon, Oakenfist is described as having the traditional Valyrian looks, specifically "silver of hair and purple of eye". However, in the artwork, Alyn has dark hair while his cousins and Larra in the scene all have light hair.

As for my personal favorite, I really liked the artwork of Jaehaerys arriving at the Red Keep with Vermithor, and the Lords Staunton, Darklyn, and Towers kneeling before them.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:44 AM, Lord Varys said:

I think that's intentional. Being part of the jokes and all. Those court jester were not exactly intellectuals...

Any thoughts on the guy in the Aegon's funeral picture?

Professional farting was very popular at Courts.

Roland Le Petteur so amused Henry II with his "leaping, whistling, and farting" that he was given the income from one of the King's manors, for his lifetime.

I, too, was a little disappointed with Wheatley's lack of attention to detail.

For example, in the picture of King Viserys I moments before his death, he clearly still has all his fingers.

It wouldn't be a big deal for a fan art, perhaps, but artwork of this level of officialness should have been more accurate.

The one with Aemond and Lucerys is inaccurate. The boy riding the larger dragon has dark hair, when Aemond, who rode Vhagar, had silver hair, unlike Lucerys who had brown. This was an important plot point.

Did Elinor Costayne wait until after she had climbed the throne to react to Maegor's death?

I think Alysanne looks too old in the picture of hers and Jaehaerys's marriage on Dragonstone - wasn't she like, thirteen?

On the other hand, Jaehaerys looks too young in his coronation.

Archived