Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

Last thread was closed. So, I decided to make a new one. I don't watch that much of wrestling, but I do like to read about wrestling a lot. I still visit other wrestling forums from time to time.

Anyway, lots of interesting things had happened in last month. Daniel Bryan turned heel. Becky Lynch is the hottest thing in the industry. Ronda vs Flair was a great match. They have kind of already ruined Dean Ambrose's heel turn. And everything else is boring, like always.

Would have liked to have seen Lesner/Bryan at Survivor Series.  Always been a David v. Goliath dream match, so they screwed that up by turning Bryan heel.  But, from what I've read Lesner actually showed up to make it a good match, so that's cool.

Takeover: war games was pretty great, the main event was maybe 5-10 minutes to long.

Of course they keep pushing Nia Jax even though she badly injured the hottest star on the roster, male or female, at the moment.

Bryans heel turn is interesting and the match with Lesnar was awesome, not ashamed to say I got worked by them, thought it was going to be a mega squash as punishment for crown jewel.

Ambrose was interesting for a second but its already basically ruined.

Cant wait to see what The Elite has in store for next year, they have some real potential to shake the industry up a bit.

Takeover was a predictably great show.  Agree the main event was about ten minutes too long, but once it got going it was a ton of fun.  Gargano/Black and Ciampa/Dream were both MOTY candidates to me.  Just fantastic work from all four guys.  I really hope they keep Dream in NXT a little while longer.  He's a future star for sure but I think he still needs seasoning.  He's put together some awesome matches but he also seems to have a couple of botches in each one, which means he just needs a bit more time and experience.  

6 minutes ago, lmanion said:

I kind of dont want many people to go to the main roster from NXT because they just get burried and the NXT product is way better than either raw or smackdown.

Yeah for most of these guys getting called up is a death sentence. 

• 1 month later...

Couple of things:

RIP Mean Gene.

The Hogan things was more tasteful than I feared, but still would have preferred someone else:

So... this All Elite Wrestling thing looks pretty major, right? Jericho, PAC! Billy Gunn as producer. Be interesting to see what level it can operate at.

Apparently Jericho has already been cut out of the WWE intro.

Haven't been watching too much of the TV product but Smackdown was pretty good right? Bryan's heel gimmick is gold, and R-Truth got taken seriously! Almas got the pin on Rey Mysterio. Rusev is finally a babyface. The tag teams there are all fantastic. I even like the Miz/Shane thing, they took one of the worst decisions ever, and made it work. And we're getting Asuka/Lynch at the Rumble?

AEW could be a game-changer, especially when Omega signs with them on February 1st.  The most important thing is that they have actual funding in the form of the Jaguars owner Shahid Khan, who is worth around seven billion.  It allows them to make some flashy signings and use money to lure guys away from WWE, something few promotions have been capable of since the WCW days.  Today, NJPW is about the only one who can compete with WWE financially, and even then I'm pretty sure that top NJPW guys make significantly less than top WWE guys, especially when you factor in merchandise money and sponsorship deals.  But with Khan footing the bill, they actually have a chance to lure top talent away given the likely increased creative freedom and almost certainly better booking AEW will offer.

Also the revival had #ftr on the back of their kit on Raw. This weeks shows were a pretty big improvement on the last month or 2. AEW really need a working relationship with RoH and NJPW at least for this first year. I think Ibushi and Omega will both be working double or nothing. The next 6-12 months should be an interesting time 

5 minutes ago, lmanion said:

Also the revival had #ftr on the back of their kit on Raw. This weeks shows were a pretty big improvement on the last month or 2. AEW really need a working relationship with RoH and NJPW at least for this first year. I think Ibushi and Omega will both be working double or nothing. The next 6-12 months should be an interesting time 

Definitely don't see them developing a relationship with ROH.  Honestly, I think they're already bigger than ROH, and ROH won't want to work with their direct competition.  

5 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

NJPW don't seem keen either, Omega saying he needs to be away from it for a while. Rumours the Bucks were being very closely watched backstage at WK and the night after.

I expect NJPW to work things out with Omega over the next month.  There are two possible reasons he publicly commented he was leaving NJPW before his contract was up.

1. It's all a work and he's not actually leaving NJPW.

2. He is signing with AEW and he wants to leverage that fact with NJPW to force them to work with him and, by extension, AEW.  

NJPW is hesitant right now, probably due to their relationship with ROH, but I think it won't be long before they realize it's far more valuable for them to work with AEW than ROH.  AEW is likely to have Omega and already have draws like Jericho, the Bucks, and Cody.  What does ROH have at this point that's anywhere close to as valuable as Omega, let alone the rest of the names I listed combined?

A third possibility, I suppose, is that he is strongly considering WWE's offer and wanted NJPW to offer a counter, although I think that would have probably just been done behind the scenes.

Edited by briantw

Highly recommend you guys check out Takeover: Blackpool, as it was another in NXT's ridiculous hot streak of great shows with awesome main events.  I think Pete Dunne might legitimately be the best wrestler in the world right now, which is nuts when you remember he's only 25.  I feel like every Dunne match I've seen is four stars or better, and he and Coffee put on a borderline five star match yesterday afternoon.

Everything else on the card was good to great as well, as tends to be the case with Takeovers.  The tag match was fantastic, Balor got to put on his best match in probably years with Devlin, the women's match was great, and the main event killed.  Only mediocre match was Mastiff/Dennis.  The ending was great as well, and sets what will probably be the main event of the next UK Takeover.

I watched it, haven't been watching the weekly stuff, but it didn't suffer for lack of context.

I'm a little disappointed they took the title off Rhea Ripley so soon, she looks like a stone cold killer, and the other belts are all held by Faces. It'd have been nice for them to have a bit of an establishing reign first. That said Toni Storm is the woman to take it off her, and with her recent troubles online, it's a nice show of faith by the company.

Annoyed me them pronouncing Walter with a W, it's Valter damnit! And it's Coffey btw.

Weakest thing for me was the commentary, I don't know how much experience the other guy has (not Nigel) but I didn't feel much energy or insight coming off him.

I caught the main event earlier today when I logged on to the network for a few minutes, very impressive. I've read about Walter but never seen any matches, may have to look him up.

As for AEW, it has plenty of potential I think as long as they don't try to go too big right away, and let it build first. The other thing is that the Bucks and Cody are executives and on-air talent. These guys seem like they have pretty high opinions of themselves, and while talented, it could turn into them booking themselves at the top all the time, like Jarrett did in TNA. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

13 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I caught the main event earlier today when I logged on to the network for a few minutes, very impressive. I've read about Walter but never seen any matches, may have to look him up.

Pete Dunne is just an incredible wrestler.  It's also great how his character is a face even though he's a total dick.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

Long history of no nonsense dicks being faces, it's just that in the current crop of WWE guys they're rare. Most of the time someone gets over being a badass then when they turn, they start being boring and generic.

Yeah, I know.  Becky Lynch is doing the same thing to massive success on the main roster.  WWE just uses it so rarely these days that it stands out when people actually use it.

And hell, their biggest star of all-time (Stone Cold) was that template. 

Stone cold also had arguably one of the best heels of all time to work with. Im suprised that having lucked into this new version of Becky when they tried to turn her heel, the creative team hasnt really screwed it up yet. If wrestlemania is going to be Rousey, Lynch and Flair for the raw womens title then they have to keep the title on Asuka at the rumble while keeping Lynch strong. It becomes difficult not to have some sort of screwy finish which then kind of weakens Asuka.