Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

1 minute ago, lmanion said:

Stone cold also had arguably one of the best heels of all time to work with. Im suprised that having lucked into this new version of Becky when they tried to turn her heel, the creative team hasnt really screwed it up yet. If wrestlemania is going to be Rousey, Lynch and Flair for the raw womens title then they have to keep the title on Asuka at the rumble while keeping Lynch strong. It becomes difficult not to have some sort of screwy finish which then kind of weakens Asuka.

They could do a double count-out where they just beat each other up so badly that neither can get back in the ring.

Alternatively, it's possible Charlotte or Ronda could appear and attack both women, thus ending the match without Asuka having to win dirty (whether intentional or not).

I think there's a good chance Becky loses (or at least doesn't win the title) and then enters the Rumble and wins that, going on to challenge Rousey.  It's similarly possible that Charlotte and Becky are the final two in the Rumble and eliminate each other at the same time, giving us a triple threat at 'Mania.  I'd personally prefer a straight Becky/Rousey match, and I really think that could main event given how over both girls are, but I don't think Vince will be able to resist pushing Charlotte into the match too.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

They could do a double count-out where they just beat each other up so badly that neither can get back in the ring.

Alternatively, it's possible Charlotte or Ronda could appear and attack both women, thus ending the match without Asuka having to win dirty (whether intentional or not).

I think there's a good chance Becky loses (or at least doesn't win the title) and then enters the Rumble and wins that, going on to challenge Rousey.  It's similarly possible that Charlotte and Becky are the final two in the Rumble and eliminate each other at the same time, giving us a triple threat at 'Mania.  I'd personally prefer a straight Becky/Rousey match, and I really think that could main event given how over both girls are, but I don't think Vince will be able to resist pushing Charlotte into the match too.

Yeah a lot of what I have seen online is basically Flair will win the rumble and they find some other way to get Lynch in there for a triple threat main event at 'mania. I really dont want to see screwy finishes to the title or the rumble but cant see how at least one of them doesnt end that way.

Unfortunately I cant see Strowman going over Lesnar and wwe seem to have missed the boat for putting the title on him. Big question is if they pull the trigger on Drew at the rumble or Seth, there doesnt seem to be much talk of anyone from smackdown winning the rumble, maybe Almas.

Think it would be cool if we saw more of guys doing what Balor did and having a crack at some of the nxt guys at takeover events. Obviously not every takeover but maybe a couple of times a year.

So The Revival appear to be angling to leave.

Fightful.com learned today that several within WWE were fearful that Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder were finishing up with the company. I'm careful to make sure not to say they outright asked for their releases, as I wasn't told explicitly that's what happened. Instead, I was told "has reason to be very fearful that The Revival are done or finishing up with the company" after a situation unfolded at WWE Raw.

I can't imagine if they want a release they're likely to get it anytime soon. They sat on PAC seemingly out of spite, and that was before AEW was a going concern.

12 minutes ago, lmanion said:

That Andrade vs Mysterio match was possibly the best mens wwe match i can remember watching since I started watching regularly again about 2 years ago

I looked it up because I saw so many people raving about it. It was great by TV standards, and pretty good by a PPV standard.

However why the fuck do they have to shorten everyone's name? God forbid he have surnames. What is so difficult about Cien-Almas?

Yeah it didnt sound right in their interview either. It was kind of cool that it was mid show as well. Things were happening so quickly as well but they seemed to link up the big spots so well and they might have left it open to continue as a feud with Vega getting involved in the finish. Hopefully they can do something interesting and steal the show at one of the ppvs.

Even by ppv standards it was very very good and not much would top it from last year in my opinion. Lesnar-Bryan, Lynch-Flair no dq, there was a Balor-Rollins match and the Ziggler-Rollins match before the ironman match.

1 minute ago, lmanion said:

Even by ppv standards it was very very good and not much would top it from last year in my opinion. Lesnar-Bryan, Lynch-Flair no dq, there was a Balor-Rollins match and the Ziggler-Rollins match before the ironman match.

Do you watch Take-Overs? Because that's where the really good matches are.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

Do you watch Take-Overs? Because that's where the really good matches are.

Yeah should have said main roster, takeovers have matches that good multiple times per ppv. Rumours are Kushida could be heading to nxt which would be pretty cool. 

The Takeover hot streak is really just mind-blowing.  Has any promotion ever just hit it out of the park that many major shows in a row?  It's been years since there was a Takeover that wasn't fantastic, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a bad one.  First one I watched was the one where Owens debuted and Zayn won the NXT title and I'm pretty sure the worst they've been is merely good.

Edited by briantw

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

They definitely got better as they became more established, but even so they've always eclipsed their corresponding main roster show.

Yeah, the quality now is ridiculously higher than it was back when I started watching.  It was funny that, after Owens, Balor, and Zayn left, people were questioning if NXT would ever be as good as it was when they were around again.  LOL.  

Another week another excellent Almas Andrade / Mysterio match. The Rumble's usually one of my favourite PPV's so, really looking forward to this weekend. Albeit 9/10ths of that excitement is Smackdown. Hopefully all the NXT guys (used in the gender neutral sense) get to make a big splash. It's beyond unlikely that Finn beats Lesnar, but just imagine if he does.

#MakeAndradeCienAlmasAgain

Love the hashtag and yeah once again Andrade #cienalmas and Mysterio tore it up in their match and there wasnt a decisive end with Joe coming out and wrecking the place. That RKO was great really wasnt expecting that, Orton looks like he is having fun being the bad guy doing these spots. Im hopeful the quality is actually lifting bit it does always seem to do that leading into the rumble and the road to wrestlemania. 

Vince still has it, he can still hold the crowd in his hand and twist them back and forward with the big pop and cheering and then flicks heel mode on when its needed.

I'm taking my son to the rumble this weekend and it's great that Balor is in the title match. He's my sons favorite and he is positive he is going to win. He wants to see the Demon as well but Balor has stated that he is fighting as himself. I really don't have the heart to tell a 12 year old that 1. I don't see any way they take the belt off Lesnar. 2. The Demon isn't showing up. 3. WWE always screws up big pushes for former NXT Talent. 

Good lord I hope I'm wrong. 

Yeah thats a tough one, I was kind of hoping he would come out as the demon and get the win to shock everyone but I cant see them taking the title off Lesnar until wrestlemania unfortunately.

Been listening to talk is Jericho episodes the last few days and his chat with Mustafa Ali was awesome, made me want to see him get the big push, would love to see him and Bryan for the wwe championship at wrestlemania.

1 hour ago, lmanion said:

Yeah thats a tough one, I was kind of hoping he would come out as the demon and get the win to shock everyone but I cant see them taking the title off Lesnar until wrestlemania unfortunately.

Been listening to talk is Jericho episodes the last few days and his chat with Mustafa Ali was awesome, made me want to see him get the big push, would love to see him and Bryan for the wwe championship at wrestlemania.

I'd like to see The Miz vs. Bryan at Mania. Bryan is doing some of his best work right now and Miz has never been a face. I think the crowd will pop huge if Bryan comes out and starts running everyone down and then Awesome hits and Miz comes down and just starts pummeling him. Bryan as heel, Miz as face. Who would have thought 6 months ago. 

Haha yeah they kind of botched Bryans return until he went heel but I think it looks like Miz and Shane will have a feud that finishes at Mania. It is odd watching Miz not be a heel but it surely cant last long he is just too good as the bad guy.

Well I think Meltzer said he was going to get one back in December 'at least for a little while,' but he also said there were no plans to put him over Brock.

And Finn Balor, after being mired in the middle, is about to get a significant push, at least for a little while.

Whether that means he was getting pushed just so he could be fed to Brock, or will continue to be near the top of the card after the probable loss, I don't know.

I am a cautiously optimistic about the match, as Brock has still shown that when he respects his opponent (AJ) he can still have a pretty decent match, I don't want a lazy finisher, finisher, finisher, pin, match.

27 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Whether that means he was getting pushed just so he could be fed to Brock, or will continue to be near the top of the card after the probable loss, I don't know.

Thanks.  The day I trust Meltzer will be a.....New Day.  

Kinda sad this is how my interest is piqued this year.  Always love Royal Rumble season - and I will probably seek illegal means to watch it on Sunday. 

Was in a writing binge last night (Tuesday night), and it's my ritual to leave the TV on.  Left it on Smackdown and when I heard "No Chance" that's still nostalgic.  The fact three of the four participants in the championship matches are Bryan, Styles, and Balor is pretty cool from an outsider's (no pun intended) perspective.  Can you imagine if the put these three with Rollins for Mania?  Say, instead of the dumb "Fatal Fourway," they have an ECW style elimination four (instead of three) way dance.  The last two guys can pick which title they prefer.  Obviously just a fantasy, but thought I'd share.  That's a great lineup of still able top guys.