Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Agree about Riddle.  It's going to be very difficult for Gargano to gain traction on the main roster as long as Vince is alive, just like it was for Bryan.  He's perhaps the epitome of the vanilla midget unfairness.

With Gargano, he's just a guy who gets himself wildly over everywhere he goes.  Some wrestlers just have IT, and I think Gargano is one of them.  He'll win over the crowd and they'll end up forced to push him even if Vince doesn't want to.

And given that the WWE title match tonight is between two cruiserweights, and the guy challenging for the Universal title isn't much bigger, I don't think wrestler size is as important as it used to be.  Vince will still get his cravings to push big worthless pieces of shit like Baron Corbin, but ultimately the crowd will dictate what happens.  Vince can only go against them for so long before it starts costing him money or making him look bad.

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

Vince can only go against them for so long before it starts costing him money or making him look bad.

Well yeah, that's my point.  He's going to meet the Vince resistance, which is a significant obstacle.  Not everyone can overcome that and even those that do, it takes a certain amount of luck - even for 12 year veterans like Kofi.

My Wrestlemania predictions:

WWE title: Kofi Kingston 

Universal Title: Seth Rollins 

Triple Threat: Becky Lynch 

Women's tag titles: Boss n Hug Connection

IC Title: Demon King Balor

US Title: Samoa Joe

Raw tag team titles: Hawkins and Ryder

SD tag team titles: Usos

CW title: Tony Nese

Women's battle royale: Lacey Evans 

Andre the Giant battle royale: Braun Strowman

AJ Styles vs Randy Orton: AJ Styles

Roman Reigns vs Drew McIntyre: Roman Reigns

The Miz vs Shane McMahon: The Miz

Batista vs Triple H: Triple H

Kurt Angle vs Baron Corbin *sigh*: Baron Corbin 

Merry Mania Mofos!

I know cheering for Dave seems wrong on the surface.... but hunter going on a victory tour late in life against the legends like Taker who gave him trouble earlier on?   He prob should retire if he just gonna tear a tittie anyway when he wrastles.

Charlotte?  Because what if the plan is to drag out the Becky payoff on and on into the future?!?

The Brock thing just makes me tune out instead of getting angry at him.  I dont even get his deal.  Big paycheck no show.  Weird.

It'd be so funny if Lindsey Evans tries her catwalk-only thing again and the other women come out of the ring and drag her into the match so they can pummel her.  Then she wins.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

[snip]

Agree with most of these, at least that I care about and haven't already happened.  I think they might take the belts off of Banks and Bailey, seems time for them to feud.  No opinion on either Tag title match(es).  And I think Angle will win.  Vince can't be that big of a dick.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

It's baffling that this and NXT are made by the same company.  NXT is just absurdly better.

Their entirely different shows, targeting entirely different markets.  I'm not excusing the shittyness of the main shows - and I still don't get why WM has to be, like, 7 hours long - but it's silly to judge them on the same standard.

Anyway, yeah, happy for Kofi!

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Their entirely different shows, targeting entirely different markets.  I'm not excusing the shittyness of the main shows - and I still don't get why WM has to be, like, 7 hours long - but it's silly to judge them on the same standard.

Anyway, yeah, happy for Kofi!

Yeah, but there's really just no excuse for the godawful booking and horrible in-ring work with all the talent they have.

They show they know how to book with matches like Kofi/Bryan, but then screw up so much in every other match.  It's baffling to me.  It's like they have no understanding of pacing and getting the crowd invested 95% of the time, but then nail it the other 5%.

Takeover was awesome as usual I kind of hope Gargano stays in nxt as he will surely be buried on the main roster. The last fall of that main event was insanely good. I think dream will have the biggest career of these guys on the main roster his act is very 'sports entertainment' and he can wrestle to top it off.

Mania was as good as a 7 hour show can be expected to be. So good to see all the feel good wins for the big titles plus shane vs miz was actually decent, the iiconics winning I thought was a good choice. I will admit with no shame that I loved Cena interupting Elias as the dr of thuganomics. Then taker coming out on raw after Elias tried to rap was as good a use for him at this time of year as what we can probably hope for. You get the entrance and the greatest hits in 5 minutes, big pop, over and done with.

I'm just glad AJ Styles is clearly not injured.  And I think moving him to Raw is a good move.  Wonder who will go to Smackdown tonight.  Zayn is the easy pick.  I also think Lashley could use a change of scenery.  So could Balor, but I don't think they're gonna take that much top-end talent from Raw.  My sleeper pick is Roode.  He could have a solid mid-card run on Smackdown.

I don't think you can really say Sanity ever started on the main roster.  Which is a shame.  That raises something I actually was thinking in the shower a couple hours ago - whatever happened to mid-card stables?  They weren't just an attitude era thing, that shit was around for the first twenty years of Vince's takeover.  Considering all the talent they have, this should be a no-brainer.  Put some tag teams together with some mid-carders and let them feud.  One of the most entertaining angles I've ever enjoyed was DX vs. NOD.